1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean Taylor in Critical Condition After Being Shot

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Nov 26, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'm with you on that one. Most guys don't keep machetes next to their beds and don't make those kinds of enemies .

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Well it's easy for me to say now after more details, but I think armed home invasions that result in actual shootings are rare. First, most robbers want to steal from a home when NO ONE IS HOME. I think I saw it on Law & Order or something. And even when there is a confrontation, either the robbers would rather run, or they hold the homeowners at gunpoint and they obey. If it really is a random home invasion, then brandishing the machete might have spooked the robbers into shooting him.

Of course the stuff w/ the cut phone lines, knife found on the bed, etc, seem to point to the obvious too.

3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If this is a random robbery, why did they do it in the middle of the night when they knew he was at home? And why did they cut the phone line? And why did they kick in the door when he tried to get away from them? And why did they not take anything from the house (that we know of)? And why did they not harm the wife and child?

This sounds like some kind of hit. Sounds like the shooter(s) knew exactly what they were doing.

RIP.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Terrible news. I hope they catch and fry the murderer.

I was looking forward to the final game of the season between the Cowboys-Redskins with Taylor back playing safety because the Redskins played us so hard at Cowboys stadium and Taylor may have been the missing ingredient as to why the Redskins lost (given he is a talented safety leading the NFC in interceptions and he may have taken away the deep plays that TO burned them on). It's terrible that he won't be around for it. Much worse, however, that he won't be around to be with his wife and raise his 1 year old child.

I'm typically not very fond of the Redskins because of the rivalry with the Cowboys but it's hard to root against the Redskins this season...especially after this. They have just had a very difficult season. Rivalry aside...I feel for their family, players, and all who knew Taylor. It's a difficult pill to swallow all around. I hope the Redskins can play up to their potential and dedicate the rest of the season to Taylor...even if it means the Cowboys losing in the final game. Truth is...I'm sure it will mean much more to them than to us at that point in the season. However, I really don't want us losing the final game of the season heading into the playoffs. So, I'm not sure I can say I want the Redskins to win that game. Who knows? We may be resting starters at that point anyway. I dunno.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

You are right. It's usually the difference between the crime being classified as a burglary or as a robbery (which is a burglary with the addition of force or causing fear).

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Unbelievably sad news! :( :( :(

No one regardless of their past transgressions deserve this fate. NO ONE!

Our hearts go out to his family and the Redskin family!

This is happening ENTIRELY too often.

Darrent Williams (Den) in offseason.

Dunta got robbed at his home earlier this season or offseason.

Now this, ...

I agree fry these bastards! :mad: :mad: :mad:

You take a life, we take YOURS! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Correction: Williams was not a robbery but, victim of random senseless gang shooting. My mistake.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No matter what he did in the past, no one deserves to die this way.

RIP.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That attack was about as calculated as calculated can get...sad stuff.

11. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

If this was calculated, why shoot the leg?

Anyways, its sad to hear. I was in total shock this morning. Things like this really affect me. I just start thinking what would happen to my family if something like that happened to me. Just the thought of not being around anymore for my daughters...

Wow. So sad.

12. rezdawg

Shooting a man in his groin is pretty calculated. You dont accidentally aim there.

13. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually as someone said earlier it could have been someone aiming for the kneecaps and they missed.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I thought they were saying leg now to be nice. When I heard groin I envisioned Taylor getting shot like Zed from Pulp Fiction. If that's the case this was someone trying to kill Taylor and make him suffer as well.

15. rezdawg

Then if you are going by that line of thinking, then it is equally possibly that they were aiming for the mid-chest and missed. If you are going to assume they were shooting a foot below the groin, then you should also think that its possible they were shooting a foot above it. In any case, I doubt their intent was just to injure him...that kind of attack is only done to kill someone, I would think.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No kidding.

Handguns aren't exactly the most accurate things on the planet.

Especially in the heat of a moment.

17. OrangeCountyCA

Just heard the sad news on ESPN. :(

R.I.P.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Shocking news :eek:

RIP :(

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"This was not the first incident," [Antrel] Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," he said. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

_____

Cards' Rolle vows to honor childhood friend Taylor

Rolle and Taylor, whose fathers were policemen in Homestead, Fla., started playing football together when they were 6 years old. They went on to become University of Miami teammates and NFL first-round draft picks. Both wore No. 21, Rolle for the Cardinals, Taylor for the Washington Redskins.

full article

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

The Redskins may play with just 10 players on defense for the opening defensive play. I hope the Bills QB will take a knee...or the whole team doing the same. Also, Clinton Portis, who was very close to Sean Taylor, may wear #21 for this game, or the rest of the season.