1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sean Deveney] Will Dwight Howard force a Lakers sign-and-trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, May 25, 2013.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

If that is the case, then we are in GREAT position to get him especially if Forbes is right about him making more with the Rocket regardlesss. The new terms actually benefited the Rockets in this situation. I love it!

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

The more I read the article, the more I SMFH and think that the guy is a douche.

Why would they trade Asik and Lin to create cap space?

Why not trade Royce White, T-Rob, T-Jones and D-Mo? Are they more valuable than Asik and Lin?

Why force a trade with Lakers? Why not force a trade with the second star's team? Chris Paul Clippers or Josh Smith Hawks. Would Lin and Asik be less valuable to those teams?

They are going to acquire Howard first and they are not going to dump assets as valuable as Asik and Lin unnecessarily before a possible second trade. The trade pieces for the second star will be executed simultaneously to avoid the risk of trading away valuable assets early and then the second trade falls through (ex. Paul or Smith injury).

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sean Devaney is stretching an example of bad sports journalism. (fixed)

He really is a bad example of someone who has had a long and indistinguished career.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Well the apology at the bottom of the story really tells you how badly it was researched.

The original story was centered around the old sign and trade in which Dwight would get the 5 year 117 million deal and then get traded to Houston. He apologized and said that is not the case anymore with the new CBA.

That's why the story makes no sense when you read this revised version. They should just pull the story from the website. Bad sports journalism SMFH :mad:

5. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

Exactly , doesnt make sence Lakers would have to trade or dump salaries just to be able to pull a trade . Why would the Rockets do this the whole reason Dwight wants to come here its because of harden and a servesable bigman he can play with let alone our little cash cow lin being traded I just dont see this happening. I believe the FO would much rather trade for someone like Love, maybe even a lee ,or get draft picks to build around harden and howard. CP3 will not come here and howard doesnt wanna play with him ,he is staying with the clipps.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Honestly, I think the dude has already made up his mind about which team he wants to go play for, and I think he'll just sign with that team.

I think all this speculation comes out of this restlessness of wanting to know where a superstar will land, and honestly, we just have to be patient.

Now if all this is true, Dwight, you, my friend, are a douche.

7. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I don't mind getting Howard ,but I want to help the Lakers as little as possible.

Lakers , Jazz, and Mavericks I hope will never get anything from the Rockets that will help them.

8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Like they can't just trade those assets to other teams who suck anyway. The last thing I want us to do is trade possible future contributors to the Lakers when we don't have to.

9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I agree with most in here that a SnT makes no sense when we could just move a few pieces easily and sign Dwight outright.

BUT a SnT that involves Lin is not too insane if we decide we want to take a run at CP3. I know, highly unlikely, but if we somehow got the indication that CP3 + Dwight was being considered (CP3 leaving LAC is much greater if Dwight is coming to Houston to join Harden and Parsons...new super team, competitive CP3 would want that), moving Lin in a SnT to LAL makes more sense.

Why not just move Lin somewhere else for a 2nd round pick? Because unlike Asik or even TRob, Lin's $8.3M is hard to move. You have to find a team that needs a PG, wants Lin specifically (and the baggage that comes with him...though there are some pros), AND has the cap room to do it. Utah Jazz is one of the few teams I can think of who might agree to this, but why would they if they can get a decent 2nd option and prevent a super team from forming in their own conference? LAL would be more desperate if Dwight says he's leaving.

Asik for a first rounder is easier because virtually any team with cap room that strikes out on D12/CP3 would want him...bargain deal. TRob as well, not as much for his talent, but for his potential and the fact that they'd only have a swallow a small $3.5M. Not so for Lin.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There are those I read for news, education, or entertainment (ex: Woj, Coon, Simmons) and there are those I just don't read (ex: Lawrence, Devaney). And of course there are the SMHers (ex: Boo - sard, ASS er SAS).

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why would we want to do a favor for the Lakers? We don't need to.

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think that Lin may be too valuable in capturing revenue from China for the Rockets to consider moving him. Their jersey and other paraphernalia sales to Chinese consumers from the Yao era and now from the Lin era are what help make them one of the most profitable teams in the league outside of LA and NY who are always profitable just because of all the media attention.

As most have said here, the Lin acquisition was less for basketball reasons than it was for money. Of course they thought Lin was talented and possibly on par with Dragic and Lowry with room to grow but the tipping point was Asia $$$.

Not sure if they could generate the same kind of money with a Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo manning the point despite being a better team.

We may just have to start rooting for Lin no matter how we feel about him because he is young and will probably be here for a loooooong time if they money keeps pouring in.

Pray he gets better.

13. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

The only way I see us doing a SnT with the Lakers is if we sign Cp3 first, but I think Cp3 will resign with the Clippers.

14. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

D. Morey has went after every big name FA over the past 3 or 4 years!! If u don't think he has his eyes set on CP3 after being able to acquire Howard, your kidding yourself.. he's always looking for a way to make the team better, and making a contender. If Lakers ask for Asik, Lin, T-Rob.. U do it, Morey has proven he can find similar talent on decent contracts.. This would be our best chance of landing CP3 or another All Star Caliber player

15. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Taking Dwight Howard from the lakers might help them. Addition by subtraction. Howard would probably burn a hole in the lakers payroll that they will need to shed after year 4 so they can move on.

16. slestack11

slestack11 Member

So I thought sign and trade was not an option for the lakers under new cba? Is it because rockets are under cap that you guys think this could be executed? After Howard re signs with lakers, rockets should pursue Lin and parsons for gasol.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Sign and trade only benefits the Lakers and potentially the NBA in that it strengthens the Lakers.

But ultimately this type speculation is rooted what makes this the second (feels like maybe the third) summer of the Dwightmare.

18. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

We get it dude. You're a hilarious, self-proclaimed "troll". Just stop.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

As some have said, if we were interested in opening up space for someone like CP3 in addition to Howard, sure we could trade Lin/Asik. But there's zero need for the Lakers to be that trade partner over any other team. Same goes for T-Rob.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Why make the Lakers better if they lose DH outright. Giving them Asik and Lin gives them 2 starters at PG and C, why help a conference competitor by doing a S&T?

Asik and Lin can be standalone trade assets preferably to an EC team.

#60 tiger0330, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013