1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sean Deveney] Will Dwight Howard force a Lakers sign-and-trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, May 25, 2013.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

S&T Howard
    +
    Sign Chris Paul

is the only reason why we would do a S&T.

2. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Who would we offer though that we can under the CBA rules?

3. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I disagree, give a future 2nd round pick and a large trade exception for Dwight and there is no need to dump any of the young players, you can keep T-Rob.

4. Big Daddy Kane

The article is spot on. If the Rockets end up getting Dwight, that's how it's going to play out. It makes perfect sense. Then the Rockets will have cap space to sign Josh Smith or Millsap straight up without having to depend on other deals. I've posted this scenario previously in the other Dwight threads but everyone for some reason is fighting it. Who cares if the Lakers get Asik and Lin if we get Dwight and Josh. Understand that it's not about giving up assets for nothing, it's about clearing up cap space to build a better team. There's only so much cap space and with Dwight coming in, Asik definitely doesn't fit. And Lin is expendable because of Beverly and honestly be a better fit in D'Antoni's system anyway. I could see us taking back Steve Blake as well for the three point shooting.

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

No way the Rockets do a sign and trade with the Lakers. We want Dwight, but we do not want to destroy our roster for the sake of having Dwight. We gave Asik and Lin, I think a pretty good bargain. By dealing them, or parts of it, we lose on the bargain. I hope that is the last option for the Rockets.

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

cbafaq.com

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Asik + Lin ≠ Josh Smith

Asik + Lin = Chris Paul (not happening)

Asik + PF = Josh Smith

Dwight Howard as the big kahuna will go first. He will be signed outright. We will not be giving any of our assets away in hope of a Josh Smith trade (opens us to risk if J.Smith trade falls through).

If we go for J.Smith next (I don't think we are), it will be Asik and PF in a S&T. Asik and a PF will clear the backlog in the PF and C positions. We will keep Lin for his PNR expertise with Dwight Howard.

8. kumakun

kumakun Member

The reason they want Lin and Asik is because Asik is as good as Howard and they want to improve Jeremy Lin from being taught by the great Steve Nash. I think it's a great idea because not only would the Rockets fans get what they want(Howard and Beverly) but the Lakers could get rid of Howard and his toxic personality, and the Lakers could get a healthier option at the 1 with Lin or even 2 since Lin can play both. Also I think Lin fans would love to see Lin go to the Lakers because obviously lots of Asians in LA, DAntoni will give Lin the ball not like McHales put Lin in corner strategy, and it gives the Lakers a younger core while improving the Rockets because they can get another PF like Milsap as well.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

But I don't think the Rockets FO are considering what the Lakers want, or what the Laker's fans want, or even what the Rocket's fans want in the Howard acquisition.

Bottom line is they will sign Howard straight up without giving any assets away JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. Screw what anybody else wants. Rockets will do what is in their best interests only and that is to keep their assets and sign Howard outright.

10. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I'm glad you posted this but I did review this prior to posting. I was unable to find a clear answer about how trade exceptions are created and if they are subject to the salary matching rules for fitting the player into available cap room. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the team on the lower side of the trade acquires a tpe to the difference, but the trade needs to fit some matching condition (ie, use your cap room, be within 150% +100k, etc), you can't exceed the cap without coming under the relevant salary match condition.

12. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Ahh, clears that up, thanks!

13. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Lakers are allowed to bring back ANY salary at all if they do a S&T, according to the new CBA.

Which pretty much makes this whole scenario/exercise pointless...

14. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I thought S&T was a thing of the past with new CBA?

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

The Rockets WON'T give up assets for a player they can sign outright.

I'm not sure why this is even a discussion.

16. basketballholic

This is a r****ded piece by Devaney. He's just filling up document space and meeting his volume quota for articles. No merit to Asik/Lin for Dwight whatsoever. None.

17. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

**** yeh. Leaves the cap room to sign Smith or Paul, would blow the **** out of my load.

18. Gakatron

If it leaves that room for another top class free agent, why wouldn't they?

19. Gakatron

They can't sign to the higher $$$ deal with current team and then be traded. A S&T can still be completed but the deal signed will be the max the other team(Us) can offer.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's possible, as long as the Lakers are below the apron after the S&T. The apron is 4 million above the tax threshold (estimate 72 million). So the Lakers payroll would have to be below 76 million when the deal is completed.

A scenario for Lin would be to amnesty Artest. To include Asik they need to deal or include Nash.

It's not an opinion piece, but info from league sources. One source he identifies as a GM.