1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SEALs call out Obama for trying to politicize their killing of Bin Laden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 1, 2012.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Also talks about how their deaths are released as "training incidents". Something Sam and Franchise said was completely untrue.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/117735

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, these missions are the same as storming a well populated area in the open. Just curious, why would you not give Obama credit for making a tough call?

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The parts I was saying was untrue was that it wasn't a priority for Obama, that someone else did all the hard work, and all Obama had to do was sign a paper etc.

That part was untrue. As I said the majority of his advisors were against sending in The SEAL team and wanted to a bombing run, or missle strike. Obama went against Sec. of Defense Gates and some of the highest military officers there are.

It wasn't an easy slam dunk decision where all he had to do was say OK, do it.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I gave him credit.

But personally I feel he is as responsible for OBL's death as he is for high gas prices. Not very.

I'm not attacking Obama, I never have.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Bottom line is that he had plenty of options, it was extremely risky whether to attack at all, how to do it, and who to tell, etc. Obama made the right choice and it wasn't an easy one.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Lets not point out the obvious.

Obama: Im not sure if we should go with order. What if Osama isn't there? This would look very bad for the US (my campaign).

Voice of Reason: We've been here for 10 months staking out the place. Why would we even need to tell anyone about the whole operation in the first place if he isn't here??

Obama: well uhhh otherwise, it wouldn't be considered a gutsy move.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='512' height='340'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show with Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-1-2012/victory-lapse---the-anniversary-of-osama-bin-laden-s-death'>Victory Lapse - The Anniversary of Osama bin Laden's Death</a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:512px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:413514' width='512' height='288' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

1 person likes this.
  8. Granville

Granville Member

Folks, this guy is in tune with his neighbors. All the Smurfs keep it real.....

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wow, a Seal Team member who wasn't there has an opinion.

These guys are more than likely the bigtexxiest of the conservatives anyway. Not too tough to find a Seal and shove a microphone into his face, someone who didn't / won't vote for Obama. Maybe the Repugs have found their 2012 Swiftboat? Turn it all around, make the good guy into the bad guy?

Remember that George W couldn't be bothered to really go after bin Laden. And please don't be delusional in calling me delusional. I've posted where Bush actually said it wasn't a priority for him.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

And that was ballsy, I would have assumed the American thing to do would let one of our private contractors do it to collect the bounty. If OBL wasn't there, who cares it was a privateer ;).

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Um, is this the coloring book version of events? Something easy for the hardcore FOX Newsies to understand?

There isn't any President who'd want to look like rescue-the-hostages Jimmy Carter. And you don't want to leave a scene of machine-gunned women and children to inflame the Arab world.

Anyway, nice of you guys to oversimplify everything as usual.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well the scenario you pointed ignores the fact that the operation wasn't carried out in a remote mountain hide out. It was a neighborhood, there were witnesses. If Osama hadn't been there, it would have been reported because civilians witnessed the whole thing.

A helicopter went down, it was going to be known.

It's crazy how petty some people are, holding on to false rationales in order to not give Obama the credit he deserves.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

The helicopter was a modified black hawk that was made at area 51. Obvious who he would have pointed his finger at.
    [​IMG]

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Right, or call in the Pakistani army and tell them they have to get OBL. Or any of the other options as well.

Obama didn't map out the plans, carry out the raid, outwit an opposing leader, or anything like that. But he was responsible and plenty could have gone wrong and he would have been held responsible.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I would be praising him if he took diplomatic action with the country, rather than ignoring their sovereignty.

16. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

While I agree that Obama does not deserve credit for personally infiltrating Pakistan and killing Bin Laden with his bare teeth, he deserves a tremendous amount of credit for how it was done and the fact that massive intelligence was retrieved in the process.

Compared to the comical mishandling of foreign affairs under the previous administration this was a welcome change of tactic and most likely has done more damage to those responsible for the attacks of 911 than the entire Iraq war.

Domo, El Presidente.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's a fair criticism.

I disagree, because I don't think Pakistan is truly an ally of the U.S. in the war on terror. I think the moment he notified anyone in the Pakistani govt. Bin Laden would have gotten away.

And it was what Obama promised to do. He'd always said that if he had a good shot at getting Bin Laden he'd go into Pakistan to get him if the Pakistanis wouldn't or couldn't. Obama followed through.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don't like military action outside of defense, so I look at the whole middle east fiasco negatively aside from the first few years of Afghanistan. Hence why I know little about the military aside from what I read occasionally.

Actions like this will never improve our relations with the middle east. So our troops/privateers will never be able to leave. I wish we had an exit strategy but it is obvious we don't.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We have been going into Pakistan on missions for awhile. We have killed innocent civilians on mistake. This wouldn't have been the first blunder.

We had plenty of intel. We knew what to expect. This wasn't going to be a reenactment of Black Hawk Down. At worst, Osama wasn't going to be there. We knew it had ties to Osama.

If nothing turned up, the US media would barely touch it. This was a low risk, high reward operation. Obama is getting the credit he deserves...he put his name on the order. Thats it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Again, any president would have done the same, regardless of what they say.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, if the most high profile national security event of his entire presidency ended in a military epic fail and a major diplomatic disaster - it likely would have been ignored. :rolleyes:

I ask you for the xxxth time, are you a real poster? :confused:

or just a troll who is playing a skull-***ingly stupid idiot on purpose as a bit of performance art?

The typo in your sig makes for a masterful touch if the latter. I salute you as a true genius of the genre if so.