1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scrambling for Votes, Democrats Face Uphill Climb to Pass Healthcare Reform

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Mar 14, 2010.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

LOL. :)

Very funny.

Have you ever considered trying your hand at stand-up comedy? If your previous post is any indication, you might be better than you think.

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Jack Cafferty of CNN, a well established lefty to be sure, weighs in on the "Deemed Passed" idea currently being considered by the Democrats in the House of Representatives:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ZDwWW5WDPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ZDwWW5WDPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

How much more defiance of the wishes of the American people will Democrats in Congress embrace? Surely it will not be so much that they will actually move ahead and use this "sleazy" maneuver.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Are you referring to the sleazy maneuver that the republican majority used 36 times between 2005-2006? That perfectly acceptable sleazy maneuver?

4. mc mark

BTW I'm really bummed you didn't like the Hillary or the Nun stories.

oh well

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There was this poster once named Trader_Jorge who like sleazy maneuvers at some place called Treasures. I'm just sayin'.

I was honestly surprised by the nun story. Cool story sisters.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The term "sleazy" was taken from the above video of Jack Cafferty, a well known, left-leaning journalist at CNN. It was his comments that were being quoted, and that produced this term. And he is not the only lefty taking this position by any means. This stunt is so obviously inappropriate in this circumstance that even many high profile, die-hard lefties are coming out staunchly against it.

Clearly, it aught not to be done.

7. uolj

uolj Member

Why is it inappropriate? It's only effect as far as I can tell is that it makes it slightly harder for their opponents' political campaigns to mislead the public about what they voted on.

Is it silly? Sure. Would I choose it? No. But it's not like they're not voting on the bill.

8. Major

Major Member

For Republicans, that's the inappropriate part. As we learned from Mitch McConnell today, all that matters to them is how to win the next election. So anything that hurts them personally is considered unfair.

9. mc mark

so again I ask, up or down vote in the senate yes?

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I responded to this question earlier in the thread. I do not intend to address it again.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they can do it, and Obama can sign it, but it's likely not constitutional, and if you want to drag this whole drama out further, and guarantee HCR ends up being as divisive as Roe v Wade, this is the best way to do it.

12. mc mark

that's what I thought

see ya at the signing!

[​IMG]

13. Major

Major Member

So are you suggesting that the many, many bills the GOP passed using this method are not legal?

Please show me the passage in the Constitution that does not allow deem and pass?

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Of course that will never happen. HCR won't be divisive at all. Once enacted, it will become clear that complaints about it were dirty ****ing lies.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The legal filings have already been drawn up, and are ready to be filed. Here is an article on the topic:

[RQUOTER]Landmark Legal Foundation readies constitutional suit if Obamacare passes with Slaughter Solution

Landmark Legal Foundation president and Talk Radio powerhouse Mark Levin promised today that his foundation will file suit in federal court challenging the constitutionality of Obamacare if it is approved in the House using the Slaughter Solution.

“Landmark has already prepared a lawsuit that will be filed in federal court the moment the House acts. Such a brazen violation of the core functions of Congress simply cannot be ignored. Article I, Section 7 of the Constitution is clear respecting the manner in which a bill becomes law. Members are required to vote on this bill, not claim they did when they didn’t. The Speaker of the House and her lieutenants are temporary custodians of congressional authority. They are not empowered to do permanent violence to our Constitution," Levin said.

A draft of the suit initial filing can be read here.

Even if Landmark never does another good thing for the Republic, what it has been doing for more than a decade to expose the facts about the partisan political partnership between the National Education Association and the Democratic Party makes it an invaluable asset. You can check that out here.

Landmark also has done superb work in exposing how federal bureaucrats at the EPA have funneled billions of tax dollars to radical environmental groups that lobby on behalf of more regulatory power, bigger budgets and expanded staffing for ... EPA. Check that out here.

Levin may be best known for his New York Times best-seller, "Liberty and Tyranny: A conservative manifesto." I knew something remarkable was bubbling "out there" among the American people last year when Levin's book zoomed to the top of the best-seller's list and people lined up for blocks in places like Fairfax County, Va., to buy signed copies of the book and to meet him.

Remember this video?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGk5yvYReHs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGk5yvYReHs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/RQUOTER]

16. mc mark

Talk Radio powerhouse

*sniker*

17. Major

Major Member

So you believe all the other bills passed by the House using this method are unconstitutional? Or just this one?

18. uolj

uolj Member

I'm not a fan of the deem and pass, partly because why take a chance, but I do wonder if somehow it was deemed unconstitutional if all other bills passed that way would be invalidated. That would be one big cluster****.

19. Major

Major Member

I totally agree. For campaign purposes, it's not like they are going to be able to argue that they voted against health care reform, so I don't see the point.

But I also don't see how to argue that this, and only this, use of deem and pass is unconstitutional. Some Rep was on TV earlier arguing that the size of the bill is part of the reason - as though somehow the Constitution says bills of a certain size are OK and others are not.

This is the "we want to believe something, so we'll make up rationalizations for our view" approach to me.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Good question. That will be up to the Supreme Court to decide, if they accept the case. Regardless of what the legal status is of the previous instances when this procedure has been used, this particular instance is 100% certain to be challenged, the other instances be damned. And the filing by Mark Levin will not be the only filing by any means. The Supreme Court will have a virtual cornucopia of different cases to choose from on this issue.

However, I believe that in the final analysis the Democrats are not likely to actually pursue the "deemed passed" strategy. This approach has been hooted down by pundits and congressional leaders across the ideological spectrum. If the Democrats try to pass their abortion of a health care bill using this procedure, there will be a popular revolt. And the Democrats in Congress and the White House will be the target of that revolt. I think there are enough Democrats in Congress that realize this such that the Dems are not likely to go down that road. So, our ongoing discussion notwithstanding, I do not believe the Dems are likely to pursue this approach at the end of the day. I guess I just do not believe the Democrats are really that stupid and self-destructive. Perhaps they will prove me wrong. We shall see soon enough.