1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scouts believe Jabari Parker will stay at Duke

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by KDJ3, Apr 2, 2014.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Did he learn nothing from Marcus Smart?

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

except he's not going to go out and shove somebody. And with the talent around him his team will not disappoint like OK State. Smart was more a casualty of this draft class more than anything else.

If Smart stays one more year he'll get drafted higher than he would this year.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why are some people here acting like he's already back at Duke...this is just a report about some scout's feelings. And as we know, scouts tend to get things wrong.

This is at best 50:50 right now and people here are already judging him.

4. Remii

Remii Member

He's NBA ready now. There's nothing more he could learn in college that he couldn't learn in the NBA next year.

Would you want to play for Philly, Boston, or Cleveland...? That's why I think he's going back to college. Lol...

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Doubtful. How can he determine who will pick him up next year? That would be dumbest reasoning/career choice I've ever seen. I think he just enjoys college life, is interested in playing with his friend, Okafor, and wants to at least have 1 more shot at a deep playoff run in NCAA. Probably not enough pull though to keep him from NBA.

6. Willard Decker

Has it occurred to you that he may want to atone for getting bounced in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament? He can't do that if he's playing in the NBA.

As those teams are likely to be in the lottery in 2015, I don't see how waiting one season will change much for him. And if his stock drops, he won't have to worry about being picked by any of them.

Exactly. I think Parker feels badly about the way his season ended and would like to have another shot at winning a National Championship. But I'll be surprised if he actually stays, as there's not much more he can do to raise his draft stock.

--Captain Decker

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Wednesday night is also Duke's banquet for the basketball team. Maybe he's waiting until after the official end of the season just as a way to be polite.

But I have to say, the buildup has been compelling. I will no longer be surprised if he actually does stay. Hell, the NCAA needs more powerhouse teams; I'm tired of the Cinderellas. I wanna see Clash of the Titans next year.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Coach K might disagree.

10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

With it coming out that Hood is 'likely' to enter draft, I fully anticipate that both him and Parker will officially declare together tomorrow. That's called me not getting my hopes up!

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Philly or Boston would be sick. Two of the most prestigious basketball franchises EVER.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Wait, what? Any team that can pick him is going to be a bad lottery team, so what's the difference if he goes this year or next? What's wrong with playing in Philly or Boston?

13. Spacemoth

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Made some good comments on helping incoming freshmen adjust and having someone to look up to, wouldn't be surprised if he stays.

15. thething

thething Contributing Member

The sooner he leaves, the sooner he'll get that max contract extension. So play for Duke for free or start the clock so you get millions sooner? It should be a no-brainer.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's more than money in life.

17. Spacemoth

Said nobody who was ever broke at the time.

18. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

oh kinda like how Duke didn't disappoint this yr?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Count me among those who are surprised by his decision. Just listening to him and reading that piece, he really seems like a stand-up man and FAR more mature than any 19 year old I've associated with. He weighed all the possibilities and it seems that it was an extremely difficult decision for him.