1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Kazmir Traded to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobloblaw, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Gone as in released? Or to the 'pen? Scott Fledman has not been very good this year but releasing him seems a little drastic, doesn't it?

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Pallilo suggested that Feldman would be moved to the bullpen and Hernandez would be demoted/released. He thinks that Velasquez would take over the 5th starter spot, so:

Keuchel
    Kazmir
    McHugh
    McCullers
    Velasquez

I can't see Hinch actually removing Feldman from the rotation but we'll see.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nice to see Kaz starting tomorrow... because that would put him in line to pitch during the Angels series next week at MMP.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would be shocked if the Astros didn't have an IP-target/ceiling for McCullers and VV, which makes Feldman a likely much-needed arm down the stretch.

5. Major

Major Member

This seems like the right move. VV is a better pitcher than Feldman, and we have a good bullpen as is. VV in long-relief is a waste of talent, while Feldman is not a particularly good starter anyway - no better than Hernandez was when he was demoted. Though, despite the money, I would ditch Feldman and keep Hernandez - we at least know the latter has done a good job in that long-relief bullpen role. Feldman is unknown there.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

My guess is him and keuchel will both face both the royals and angels now, with a day off monday.

7. Dankush

Dankush Member

VV does the same thing as Feldman with much more upside. Has 3.2 fip and 4.0x xfip, feldman averages like 6 innings a game, the only reason to keep him there is because he is making more which is dumb.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Luhnow said last week that both will be monitored and "limited" in some way

He also specifically mentioned how the Nat's let Strasburg pitch a few years ago until he reached his limit and shut him down, and said they were not considering that route

My guess, they will come up with some sort of rotation or tandem with Lance and Vince, and Feldman would still be in the rotation. Also wouldn't shock me to see them pick up another starter who is a slight upgrade from Feldman, maybe in a deal for Feldman himself and a prospect....

9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Looks like I picked the wrong Friday to leave town. Couldn't he help a brother out and go ahead and pitch tonight? C'mon Kazmir.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Took long enough. He's been wanting to play here for years but the Stros didn't believe in him after Skeeters

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wouldn't that line Kazmir up to then pitch Wednesday night against the Angels (on ESPN)?? Dis gon b gud!

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

that doesn't seem like a trade that would make sense. the other team would essentially be paying $15MM for a prospect. if such prospect exists, the astros wouldn't give them up for a slight feldman upgrade.

13. Dankush

Dankush Member

Lol they arent getting another starter thats for sure. That would be a huge mismanagement of resources

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Career stats vs Kazmir

AVG / OBP / SLG / OPS

Trout- .375 / .444 / .375 / .819
    Pujols- .111/ .273 / .111 / .384
    Cain- .190 / .292 / .286 / .577
    Beltre- .233 / .298 / .349 / .647
    Fielder- .125 / .222 / .313 / .535
    ARod- .129 / .289 / .161 / .451
    Teixeria- .524 / .613 / 1.000 / 1.613
    Hamilton- .368 / .368 / .737 / 1.105

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

I think David Price is the sole exception, and I'd bet that Luhnow hasn't completely taken him out of consideration yet.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I actually think that it would be someone under control like Ross or Cashner that would be the exception, not Price.

My best guess is that the Dodgers and Cubs end up with Hamels and Price.

17. The Beard

Yea Feldman is the perfect example of the veteran innings eater who can keep you in games. In what is a bad year, he has still gone at least 6 innings in 8 of his 11 starts, and only once in those 8 did he give up more than 3 earned. He isn't great, but he is very solid for a #5 if he can stay healthy

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

anyone with insider can paste what law said about the trade?

19. Nook

Nook Member

Let me guess.....

Kazmir is not as good as his era, his stuff is solid for a #3 starter. He has injury concerns and struggles on the road outside of Oakland.

Nottingham is a highly projectable catcher with room to grow, that has shown that he can hit outside of Lancaster.

Advantage OAKLAND

Just my guess from my discussions with him on twitter.

20. The Beard

Not if the guy we were picking up was making similar money to Feldman

Feldman is obviously not a guy who would be in great demand, but his salary isn't something that would make it impossible to include in a deal for a guy with a similar salary or even a little higher, if we could give up a depth type of prospect to make a slight upgrade, I don't think Luhnow would hesitate at all