1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Kazmir Traded to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobloblaw, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

Stros do not get draft compensation if Kazmir signs elsewhere, FYI.

The Stros have a day off in 6 of the 9 weeks remaining in the season, with 2 days off in the 2nd week of August. There's no reason for them to go to a 6 man rotation.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see Velasquez in the pen. He'd be awesome there, I think, and the Stros have talked about needing a hard thrower there.

2. YaosDirtyStache

KazGazm all over the keyboard.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, I think that is more likely to be the plan rather than moving Feldman to the pen (which does nothing for anybody).

VV is actually a weapon... so is LMJ, but he's having much more success as a starter now than VV is.

As long as they don't get used 1998 Dierker-Elarton style, will definitely be a huge stretch-drive plus (something I thought they could possibly use Appel for... but he's going to need to be a little more consistent to be trustworthy).

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

very Randy Johnson like numbers before he joined the Astros from the Mariners. Let's hope for regular and postseason success from Kazmir!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sad to see him go. But wish nothing but the best for <a href="https://twitter.com/scottkazmir19">@scottkazmir19</a>. Great teammate and great guy. Enjoy home buddy. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ThrowMeAllFastballs?src=hash">#ThrowMeAllFastballs</a></p>&mdash; Josh Reddick (@RealJoshReddick) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealJoshReddick/status/624286038345818114">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> rotation:
    Keuchel (12-4, 2.12)
    McHugh (11-5, 4.25)
    Kazmir (5-5, 2.38)
    Feldman (4-5 4.93)
    McCullers (4-3, 2.52)
    Velasquez in mix, too</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/624286701377224704">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">OAK price for Toronto for Kazmir was something built around one of Jays' best pitching prospects -- too steep for Jays in a buyers' market.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/624286693995192320">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, I was at lunch and missed this news...got up to leave and saw a TV behind bar that had the ESPN alert. Awesome!!! Just amazed at how quickly this rebuild has progressed....to the point where we're adding a top notch starter to try to set a playoff rotation. That's insane.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Ah; did not know that. Thanks. Doesn't change my POV, though. Use em up, spit em out... keep payroll flexibility.

8. Buck Turgidson

Ugh, thanks for reminding me.

Don't see that happening though, this pen is so much deeper than the '98 one. I agree on Appel, I think he definitely gets action when rosters expand.

9. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Now need a above average bat in the lineup and we will make playoffs guaranteed. so who should we go after? Outfield, 1B, Catcher. Lowrie will get 3B I believe. Best scenario is that Springer comes back strong, trade for a 1B/Catcher.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Can't we just play Conger more for a "hitting catcher"? Dude is 3rd on the team in OPS.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

We arent trading for a catcher, we just traded our best C prospect

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Which would actually make us more in the need

13. Nook

Nook Member

I hope they talk to the Brewers about Parra/Lind.

Altuve
    Springer
    Correa
    Lind
    Parra
    Gattis
    Lowrie
    Castro
    Marisnick

14. Buck Turgidson

When is the last time a contender traded for a starting catcher in July? That's an offseason move.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Beane said he pulled the trigger on the deal once Nottingham was included. Everything came together quickly thereafter.</p>&mdash; Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaneMLB/status/624291638320435200">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="http://t.co/o4FlaOFKOa">pic.twitter.com/o4FlaOFKOa</a></p>&mdash; Scott Kazmir (@scottkazmir19) <a href="https://twitter.com/scottkazmir19/status/624292098909544448">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Conger needs more AB's... especially against right-handed pitching.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What's the Lind story? Seemingly awful for three years ('10-'12); very good - at an older age - the past 2.5-ish (looks like he missed a lot of games last year).

On paper, he'd be an ideal target: upgrades a position of weakness (1B), gets on base a lot and has shown some unexpected power. He'd be owed, roughly, $10MM through next year, which is not budget-crippling if the guy is going to thrown down an .850+ OPS.

18. The Beard

I'm not saying we are going to trade for a catcher

But what I was responding to was a post that said we aren't trading for a catcher because we just traded our top catching prospect....and that, in fact, would make it more of a position of need...as i said

19. The Beard

Especially against teams that do not run much. That is where Conger is horrendous. Vs teams that don't run a lot, no reason to not put him in a lot more

20. Nook

Nook Member

I have preferred Conger since day 1, he has a hole in his swing but he has power. I would go with Conger but it seems that the Astros are not going to do so.