1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Kazmir Traded to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobloblaw, Jul 23, 2015.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hinch said Velasquez will not start in KC. Will come out of bullpen. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/624321138034786304">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

His road ERA the past couple of years is in the 3.7 range. He has been very good against the other teams in our division. He isn't really a Price/Cueto type of Ace, but he is certainly a #2/3 type and will make a big impact for us over the next couple of months

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd be down with that. If they can't come here, then keep them in the NL.

#183 Fyreball, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hinch just said Feldman in rotation, VV to bullpen.

5. The Beard

Interesting. Certainly has the arm to make a big impact down there

With his injury history a little surprised they are going that route though

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Makes the most sense to me

7. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I'm hoping if there are more moves, it's for 1B, reliever or catcher. Seems like we have the starters we need for a run.

Luhnow also needs to make some moves to make room on the 25 man roster, in light of the Kazmir trade and when Lowrie/Springer get back. Wouldn't be surprised to see Singleton or Carter traded for prospects if he can't flip those guys in a trade for quality help down the stretch (again, that would be 1B, catcher or reliever).

8. The Beard

I agree those would be the best "fits"....but I believe Luhnow when he said earlier they would continue to look for "talent"....I think if he sees a deal that he thinks improves us somewhere, and it makes sense in what we are giving up, he will be willing to do so. Whether than is in the Pen, 1B, Catcher, OF or even another upgrade in the rotation.

9. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

he'll be back in the rotation once feldman struggles.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like this deal for Astros. A's made a good deal for themselves.

A's got more expected WAR from deal.

Astros improved their playoff odds by about 9% this season. Trade does not likely cost Astros a combined 9% in future playoff odds from the future. Well worth the surcharge for current expected WAR versus future expected WAR

11. raining threes

It does, Hopefully Lucroy is on market next offseason. Anyways, everyday catcher will be priority #1 in the offseason. (It should be now) The minor league system is severely lacking at the catcher position. Today's trade made this even more of a priority

12. The Beard

Yea I agree, and i'm sure we are looking into what options are available right now also. It's obviously not ideal to change catchers during the season, but if the right deal is there to be made i'm sure Jeff would make it.

13. raining threes

Castro is arb eligible after this offseason. His rights should be renounced.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;We had identified Kazmir as a guy we wanted.&quot; - <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> GM <a href="https://twitter.com/jluhnow">@jluhnow</a> on today's acquisition of LHP Scott Kazmir. <a href="http://t.co/1aDVsYN8P5">pic.twitter.com/1aDVsYN8P5</a></p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/624338324472266752">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Luhnow on possibly getting another starter: &quot;I'm not ruling it out.&quot;</p>&mdash; Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/624339797084106752">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

15. Nook

Nook Member

Kuechel - Kazmir - Ross - McCullers - Velazquez

Make it happen..............

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

i think substantial upgrade in the rotation would be the only reason to acquire another starter.

and i think if they went that route, they'd do so betting on themselves being able to re-sign at least one of kaz or the other (price).

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

McHugh as our 4th starter.

Move Velazquez and McCullers as the tandem 5th starter

18. The Beard

Yea McHugh has been very good for a while now. 7 straight starts of 3 earned or less. 4 of last 6 starts 2 earned or less. Safe to say we aren't looking to replace McHugh

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Luhnow:

We prioritized the guys we thought who would help. He was right at the top of the list.

Asked 2 weeks ago, they weren't sure they would move him. I kept calling/texting them. Got to a deal this morning.

Why Kazmir?

He knows our division, this league, left handed, one of the best pitchers in the AL this year. Homecoming. We pursued 2 years ago and followed him and felt he would be a good fit all along.

Any concern with home/road splits?

No, this year is aberration. ... He got incredible stuff. He's one of the top LH in the AL, if not the whole game.

Another one in the future?

We'll keep looking. We got 7 or 8 days. I feel responsible to do everything I can. There may be another move coming.

Another rotation move or positional?

We'll assess each guy out there. Not ruling anything out. We like the team we have. I'll continue to look.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:confused: So...buyers...or sellers market?

Love the trade. Too bad about Nottingham, but it's just too awesome to see the Stros as buyers this season....Feels Good man....Feels really good....