1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Brooks fired by OKC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 22, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't really buy into that kind of narrative. If Ollie is a good coach, he's a good coach. He's a former NBA player that guys on the teams he played for really thought highly of him as a leader.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Pop is arguably a top 2-3 coach in the history of the NBA.

Most coaches in today's league do jack.

How about comparing Brooks to Spo? or Blatt? or Rivers?

Blaming Brooks for everything wrong with OKC is a cop out. The ONE year their team was healthy (and their stars were peaking), they went to the Finals and lost to a prime Lebron (who had the best playoff run of his career). Then injuries derailed their seasons after that.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UConn's Kevin Ollie has removed himself from consideration for the OKC head coaching position, sources told <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a>. Story coming.</p>&mdash; Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/591282387746693120">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Ollie out, I think it'll be Billy Donovan

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Donovan is a pretty strong willed. He and Westbrook would clash big time in my opinion.

God I hope they hire Vinny Del Negro!

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I, personally, think it's very telling that Ollie turned down the job considering Durant has publicly praised his former teammate as the guy that mentored him during his early years. If I were Durant, why wouldn't I want a guy I can trust on the sidelines, especially one that has passed the eye test at the college ranks? That is, of course, I personally don't know how much longer I want to be in OKC and don't want a good friend and former mentor to be stranded if/when I leave via free agency.

I think this is another domino that's falling for the Durant era to end in OKC. It was fine when he was healthy and the de facto best player on the team but both counts are clearly in question now that he's had a couple of surgeries and Westbrook went HAM at the end of the year.

Maybe my conversation with a former college basketball player wasn't too far off

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Early fave for OKC job clearly Billy Donovan but word in coaching circles is that Spurs assistant coach Ettore Messina is on Thunder's list</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/591366723049140224">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'm starting to think JVG with his predictable offense is probably a worst coach than McHale..... I will be happy to hear his Rockets Homerism end...

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd go with messina

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It would be a lot like the david blatt hire.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Maybe better; messina at least has some NBA experience with pop whereas blatt had none

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

why not like Budenholzer?

15. torocan

torocan Member

Dam... if the OKC manage to land Messina that's some serious coaching smarts.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dang Brooks went in:

Brooks specifically warned that the move could have disastrous ramifications with Durant. "When we traded James [Harden], I was doing damage control with the guys for a while, particularly with Kevin," Brooks said. "I know Kevin will say the right things and handle this like a pro, but there's not a doubt in my mind that he won't see the hypocrisy in it. As a small market team, those principles of loyalty and trust are what we knew we had to demonstrate to set ourselves apart from other teams. When Kevin's contract is up, what sets them apart now?"
    Brooks says he hasn't spoken with Durant since being fired. "No, no," the coach clarified, "I'm not saying this is what Kevin told me--I think it's just obvious at this point."

http://newsok.com.clonezone.link/brooks-regret-firing-durant

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

durant you likey the harden?? maybe you want to play with him again???

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Durant knows that OKC traded away a dynasty and his best friend away because they didn't want to pay the luxury tax or amnesty Perkins. There is no way Durant stays in OKC if he wants to win it all.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No he didn't. See this link: http://newsok.com/fake-link-incorrectly-shows-a-story-written-by-the-oklahoman/article/5413370

Fired coaches that are looking to get hired don't say what was posted above.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member