1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Brooks fired by OKC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 22, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm with Outlier...

Still, still waiting for a3cpo

2. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Presti apparently went to the Geoff Petrie school of being a GM. He has literally don't nothing productive in years until his back was to the wall and he dealt for Kanter.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Which is pretty funny since isn't he actually a graduate of the RC Buford school for future NBA GM's?

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

a_3po is just messing with us now.

Dude just had a post not too long ago in the "Rondo quits" thread and now he won't provide us with his thoughts in this thread on the Brooks firing?

C'mon breh, so not cool.:grin:

He probably feels no need to even bother commenting on it since by now he knows we already know how he feels/felt about Brooks.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

What Presti has shown the NBA world so far in his young career is that he is a terrific SCOUT and a terrible GM. Better hope that Durant doesnt leave next season...The time is ticking on Presti, and he shouldve been the first one fired and a new GM shouldve made the evaluation on either retaining Scott (who i truly felt would never get them over the edge) or moving a different direction.

And guess who is waiting in the wings:

[​IMG]

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Very surprised by the amount of people who didn't think this was coming.

To put it bluntly, I'd say he is in the bottom third of coaches in the League.

Much the same as McHale - he has gotten by with MVPs - and not so much his coaching schemes or ploys.

After all these years I still don't see much in their playbook apart from a) Durant anything and b) Westbrook run at full pace and pull up or go to the basket

Maybe they realise they need a coach who can implement an offense and take some pressure off that foot of KD.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly, I never really liked Scott Brooks as a coach.

Two seasons ago I watched him continuously give the Rockets a chance to beat them in the playoffs by playing Kendrick Perkins all the time. He was the only person in the world that didn't realize that every time Nick Collison was on the floor, the Thunder dominated the Rockets.

8. heypartner

I just got an email

Dear heypee,

There is no more Brooks.
    There is no more discussion.

signed,

A_3PO

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

OKC will go as far as Durant and WB take them. The coach is irrelevant.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

For all of Scott Brooks issues in X's and O's, he did a phenomenal job developing the talent on that team.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't know where to begin.

So many of you guys have no clue about Scott Brooks in OKC other than their W/L record. Others have clearly seen his ridiculous favoritism over the years (Jeff Green, Kendrick Perkins), lack of an offensive system, lack of team discipline, lack of accountability, lack of creativity, horrendous late game play calling, etc. There is much more but I'm not into typing novels.

Nobody blamed Brooks for the injuries but they don't absolve him of his flaws. This summer represented a fork in the road and OKC decided to veer in a new direction. Very good decision. Next year is a go for broke season and Presti finally decided the same old wasn't good enough.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They were not bad coaches. Didn't Scott win COTY once?

Probably needed a fresh start.....

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Sounds like McHale. :grin:

I kid, I kid, he's been a lot better this year.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Am I mistaken for thinking that a rich playbook is futile when it does not work?

I think most teams have only couple of sets that are successful and that work in terms of playing style and roster setting

15. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Kevin McHale is next.

16. heypartner

I just decided OKC is not relevant anymore.

Sorry A_3PO,,,sorry you came in late to give us your take,,,but Rockets are way past the Thunder. Good luck catching up...don't really care about your really piss poor GM and his way late to the game coaching decisions.

OKC is Durant and Durant only. Franchise will die really quickly.

TEXAS is the Future with HOUSTON.

Get on board.

17. torocan

torocan Member

I find it more shocking that OKC finally had the cajones to get rid of Brooks than the idea of replacing Brooks being shocking.

I've always considered Brooks to be a mediocre coach with poor X's and O's and mediocre in game adjustments. 2 top 5 players on the roster yet his offense inevitably ends up being hero ball... a formula that isn't really sustainable without a 3rd legitimate all star talent.

If there is anything that the last year has made apparent, it's that a serious coach ala Kerr, Budenholzer, Kidd and Stevens can make a HUGE difference. Of course, the real problem is getting that serious coach.

Is Ollie that kind of coach? Hard to say.

With a lot of the best coaching candidates snapped up in the last 2 years (Budenholzer, Snyder, Messina, SVG, etc), the available field is feeling a bit thin right now. There is of course the possibility of the Bulls/Thibs having an implosion, but we have no idea if that's going to collapse or not.

We'll see what happens.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I may be mistaken but ollie seems like an excellent coach for a young team in need of direction, not a veteran team trying to take the next step.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

There are different types of leaders. My recollection of Brooks on the Rockets is that he had our whole bench off their seats rooting for the starters. And that energy helped win games. I know very little of him as a coach. But his replacement will be hard pressed to win more than 70% of their games with all 3 starters. So the change is shocking to me. The Thunder don't need much coaching. They have talent. Seems like a good fit for someone like Brooks. And a lot less like an X and O, or college coach.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Let's put it this way.

100% of people would rather face a Scott Brooks coached team on the last possession (minus superstar players)

As opposed to a Greg Popovich disciple coached team (minus superstar players)

There's reasons for that.