1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Brooks fired by OKC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 22, 2015.

1. SRR21

SRR21 Member

As soon as I heard this my first thought was JVG. scary

2. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Ibaka is the prototypical JVG big man

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

This is all part of the chain of events caused by Anthony Davis' buzzer beater.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I love JVG. Love him. But any GM that hires him to coach Westbrook after seeing how he handled Steve Francis is a fool.

5. DappyDan

DappyDan Member

It's about time. I remember thinking how awful of a coach he was in the Western Conference Finals and in the Finals. A good coach (or for that matter, a good competitor in any walks of life) can adopt and change according to an opponent's strategy--Brooks he stuck to the same plays, lineup and matchup throughout. Here is a coach whose mediocrity was masked by extremely talented players.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...so you're afraid he'd trade Westbrook right before his body breaks down for a better player?

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

OKC have been taking a solid step down each year after the Harden trade.

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He let Tmac get away with TONS. JVG understands talent, he just didn't think SF3 was good enough to do what he was doing.

I think he'd have a longer lease with Westbrook than he did with SF3

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

scott brooks was a terrible head coach, who's team won in spite of him rather than because of him. his simplistic offence makes kevin mchale look like popovich in comparison.

Its true injuries were the main reasons OKC failed to reach the Finals the past three seasons, but lets not forget Brooks incompetence has also played a role. His inability to adjust in late games or second half, create an offense beyond iso-ball & establish better synergy between durant/westbrook has also been huge negatives.

10. TheresTheDagger

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Here's thing with Donovan and Ollie: If OKC talks to one of the coaches first, expect the other to pull out of consideration -- and fast.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/590959458014093312">April 22, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The campaign to retain Durant begins today.

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

Guess Durant's departure odds has jumped from like 20% to like 50% now that Brooks is gone?

13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

My guess is KD leaves. In regards to Russell Westbrook, OKC will be in a situation like the Celtics were in with Rondo wanting to get traded.

To me it seems as if Presti is preparing for a full rebuild while going for the Grand Slam.

14. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]:eek:[​IMG]

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/eapu90PiKpt/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

15. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

There are parallels between the two situations. The Warriors under Jackson where an elite defensive team, but underwhelmed on offense with unimaginative sets and too much iso. The OKC Thieves had a lot more success in the postseason than the Warriors under Jackson, but Presti has to be drooling at the prospect of a Kerr type coach implementing a motion offense and giving them an elite offense.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Don't care too much but it's a strange move....

Would they have kept him if they made the post season?

Would they have kept him if Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook had been healthy all year?

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Still waiting for a3pco...

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Weird, this is very surprising and yet not at the same time with all the talk lately. Should've done it sooner...

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dion Waiters has played 3 NBA seasons. His coach has been fired at the end of each one.</p>&mdash; John Krolik (@JohnKrolik) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnKrolik/status/590951052570206208">April 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Brooks never struck me as a top tier coach, but they were a tie breaker away from making the playoffs without Durant and Ibaka in the west. Odd time to fire Brooks unless that is what Durant and/or Westbrook wanted.