1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SciFi Cinema?] John Goodman & Mary Elizabeth Winstead's '10 Cloverfield Lane'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Not related at all. Has nothing to do with the orginal Cloverfield as it's not a sequel or follow-up. Movie was filmed under an entirely different working title. The studio stuck the "Cloverfield" tag on it as a marketing ploy to lure fans of the original Cloverfield movie. I plan to skip it until it lands on Netflix or Amazon.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Crazy honestly. Because 95% of the movie didn't feel like the first one at all. I think it was actually really smart by them to make that decision. It's opening up doors for that series now.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This was okay. The jump from survival thriller to sci-fi alien thriller felt jarring.

It would be cool if Cloverfield II took place in Houston

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The movie has nothing to do with cloverfield. I think they just added the last part after the fact. The main actress is hot.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Count me as one who loved the ending and the tone-shift. Can definitely understand why anybody wouldn't like it, but I thought it was awesome, as was the whole movie. John Goodman was brilliant.

Also...Houston shoutout!

9/10

6. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Are we sure that it didn't? I mean it didn't come out and explicitly say, but it could be implied that the NY attack and the LA/Texas attack could be correlated.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Did your theater laughed when:

Towards the end of the movie, she was on like I-10 and sign said 'Houston'??? I'm not sure if it was ironic or the thought of the world ending and the last place you want to be is in Houston???

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

This movie was great. John Goodman's performance was really good. The last act did throw me off because it pretty much debunked all my theories I had throughout the movie but still very enjoyable. I wish they would have elaborated more on "Megan"

9/10

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you guys have me wanting to see this :grin:

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Reaaaally enjoyed this movie. Great acting, great pacing, amazing tension. Absolutely loved MEW and JG.

Did not see cloverfield, have no desire to. The first 90% of this movie was way more interesting to me than the end.

omgggg when he saw the suit under her bed my gf and I literally grabbed each other. Haha. That and the key-stealing scene took a few years off my life.

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Aren't you a woman? Or am I mistaken. Or am I misinterpreting this?

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

True story, she's a woman. Met her in my early years of BBS. I thought she married again to another breh.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Girls have girl friends and some have girlfriends. It's not that complicated.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

This was so well done. One of John Goodman's best performances and I've seen his Coen bros roles

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

oh god no. yes, i meant my friend.

go see this movie!!! so glad it's getting good reviews. agree with the above...one of JG's best roles ever.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

MEW and Goodman are always solid, need to see this

17. Nero

Nero Member

My theory:

JG was the one who pulled up behind her at the gas station. He was on the hunt for a new girl to abduct, and this would have been a good way to determine she was alone. (Anyone notice the Slusho ad in the store window?)

The abduction had nothing to do with the attack, in fact, the likely scenario is that the attack occurred either AFTER he knocked her car off the road, or maybe roughly the same time.

Unsure of how long she was unconscious, but my guess is the other guy, Emmett, showed up and forced his way in around the same time too, and JG was NOT happy about it. Which explains why he was always so terribly mean to the kid. And why he took the first opportunity he could to get rid of him, so he could have her all to himself.

And not surprising JG shoots the kid in the head, and then the next time we see him he has cleaned himself up, shaved, and trying to make himself look presentable.

Good thing she was a fighter, is all I have to say.

Very good movie, but man, the end was... well, not what I was expecting, that's for sure!

I think this WAS related to Cloverfield, in that the NY attack was a deliberate alien attack, as was the 'country' version which happened in this movie, kind of like crop-dusting.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I noticed when she was in the air room, they panned across a letterhead to Howard from a company called Bold Futures. It looked pretty blatant but I couldn't remember if Bold Futures had any tie-ins anywhere else in the anthology.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

http://collider.com/10-cloverfield-lane-arg-things-to-know/

This (long) article gives a pretty great description of the mythology. It's pretty fun stuff.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well it is doing quite well at the box office so JJ was right in pitching this movie as being "in the spirit" of the original. John Goodman makes a bad guy IMO and it really looks like a well crafted psychological thriller based on some external sci-fi event. It brings to mind some of those old Twilight Zone and Outer Limits episodes I grew up watching.