1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Science] Cosmic inflation: 'Spectacular' discovery hailed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BDswangHTX, Mar 17, 2014.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

ITT: Armchair theoretical astrophysicists debunk the flaws in a noble worthy study from life long groups of scientists.

2 people like this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Very good post! Your viewpoint of science in regards to the Cosmos, and the Big Bang Theory are spot on! To make a definitive statement that this happened or this occurred billions of years ago is absurd in my opinion. Even when I hear of the size's and distance's of objects in the universe, I take it with a grain of salt. As I get older, the only thing that I'm sure of, is that I know very little, but I'm at peace with that.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

1 person likes this.
  4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

hahah, don't feel bad...even the daily show is too srs for me these days. I've reached a very intellectually lazy point in my life, ...bookz? just wanna watch kroll show reruns in my spare time.

however, i AM watching cosmos, which i have really enjoyed thus far, and i wonder if NDT will incorporate these new findings into later episodes. pretty mind boggling advance in understanding our history.

but ya know, no matter how many times i attempt to read "string theory for dummies" i feel like i can never quite wrap my mind around quantum mechanics. i don't think my brain is that advanced. or maybe it's the weed, who knows.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL...I think Socrates was probably trying to be humble when he said that , I on the other hand am merely trying to....

[​IMG]

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

how do you know God didn't create Science?

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

God as in how we define God(s) in various religions. There might very well be God(s) that created the universe.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

page 1 - astrophysics

page 6 - monotheism vs. polytheism

lol

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i never made that assertion

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

From your past posts in the D&D and in this thread, I think it's clear where y'all stand regarding solipsism and logical positivism. However, being so hostile to other forms of philosophy or a person's POV doesn't help your case. I believe in the scientific method and would consider myself a science nerd. I also believe that objective and subjective realities may be two completely different things with some overlap, and choosing one over the other is a false dilemma aka phenomenology.

It's sad that in a thread where astroparticle physics plays a large role, that we have the usual puerile bickering between various sides like on Reddit. Anyone who delves into higher mathematics, philosophy, and physics sheds the conventional preconceptions of thought and cloaks himself with humility and more open-mindedness than some posters here.

With the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, observing the thing changes it. That's not the same thing as better weather predictions of course, but it's certainly not supercomputers in the future predicting the exact weather as other people believe.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think there is a single mind that has ever existed on this earth that is able to fathom the realms of the universe(s).

13. KingCheetah

Can you imagine Hubble's excitement when he realized that the Milky Way wasn't the entire universe? I think one of the great discoveries of the 21st century will be learning that our entire universe is only one small part of a multiverse. There is already indirect evidence -- I believe it's hot spots in the background radiation that indicate our universe may be 'bumping' into another universe.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly on Hubble, but I'm not sure on multiverses, in terms of really finding convincing proof. And are you saying we are having a side hug with another universe?

15. KingCheetah

Literally they have seen 'hotspots' and the primary suspect is our universe making contact with another -- but i'm a big proponent of the 'bubbling froth' of universes popping into and out of existence so perhaps I have a bias.

Edit: a word

#115 KingCheetah, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh I know what you meant; I've really been following the Planck data, and I thought it was more of a relatively cold spot. I never know how seriously to take the "other universes" explanation because it really feels like handwaving. But it is definitely fascinating.

This is the data we're talking about everybody: it's the relative temperature of the deepest darkest background of space (minus stars and all that). It's very even but when you look down at variations of one part in about one million, you find truly inexplicable difference patterns, including a relatively warm band, and this little cold belly button type thing.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Apparently the vast majority of models indicate a multiverse.

#117 CometsWin, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

"In most of the models of inflation, if inflation is there, then the multiverse is there," Stanford University theoretical physicist Andrei Linde, who wasn't involved in the new study, said at the same news conference. "It's possible to invent models of inflation that do not allow [a] multiverse, but it's difficult. Every experiment that brings better credence to inflationary theory brings us much closer to hints that the multiverse is real."

http://news.yahoo.com/universe-may-...c-inflation-discovery-suggests-140210836.html

19. KingCheetah

Yeah, I think you're right the cold spots are more significant than the hot spots -- I need to read more about it to try and wrap my brain around it.

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Amazing isn't it...? That's HeyP for you... His claims are dubious at best, considering he places the process of religious beliefs on equal footing with the process of science.... This is something out of the realm of logical thinking.... a basic requirement for a scientific mind...

You simply cannot indulge individuals with such dangerously twisted perspectives... it's repugnantly offensive beyond comprehension...

For scientists to still hold onto religious beliefs despite their field of expertise... or acquiesce to the possibility of a god based on lack of evidence to the contrary is one thing.... For a scientist to say both processes and respective conclusions of each are equal.... is another matter altogether that I have an enormousproblem with.... and can't simply tolerate...