1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Schoolin'] Does the 'Online' prefix degrade the value of a degree?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 4, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe it shouldn't devalue the degree, but I think it does in the eyes of companies. The same silly prejudices that infect your thinking also affects hiring managers. They'll form an opinion of you based on that factoid, rightly or wrongly. Maybe a decade from now it'll be so commonplace that people won't think about it, but right now it'll affect you. I did an evening program at Jones School and I'd get different reactions depending on whether I disclosed that information, though the work is substantially the same.

But, here's the counter-argument that applies to evening and online classes for an MBA. A lot of the value comes from interactions. I'm not talking about networking which was alluded to earlier (and imo overrated, but maybe because I don't do it right). You learn from your peer group. You learn collaboration skills and communication skills by physically interacting with your peers. That's significantly handicapped by online teaching. And, I discovered at Rice that a lot of the b-school exerience was wrapped up in clubs, and I couldn't meaningfully join in as an evening class student. All in all, the lectures and assignments, etc that are preserved in an online class are only half of what's worthwhile in an MBA education.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Heard back from the MBA advisor"

" If you apply to the MBA on-line, the entire program is on-line. When you graduate your diploma will say Master of Business Administration. No indication of an on-line program. The MBA program is a self-accelerated program i.e. the duration of completion depends on the number of courses you take and complete per semester."

So no 'online' tag.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Surprised to see a lot of trolls here. I would guess maybe they are the ones in school debt to their eye balls and now feel resentful toward more affordable options.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It won't show online anywhere on your degree. Don't sweat it.

Online is easier, if for nothing else than it is far more flexible, and of course people do cheat.

5. the shark

the shark Member

This has got to be one of the most IGNORANT comments I've ever seen on Clutchfans.

You obviously know NOTHING about this school, and would probably be best to keep your PIE HOLE shut on topics that you know nothing about!!!!

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't know for sure but I thought the online schools were typically more expensive.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Really not a big deal; that's what the ignore list is for. It would be nice if it were a one-click solution or if you could downvote stupid posts into oblivion but it's worth the three clicks to shut trolls out forever. :)

8. Asian Sensation

U mad or nah?