1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School Of Rock

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by X-PAC, Oct 3, 2003.

1. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Anyone going to see this movie? All the reviews I have seen are better than expected and some of the ads are pretty funny. Jack Black has been pretty awesome in what I have seen of him in his movies. :D

Jack Black shines in clever comedy
    By Ben Nuckols
    Associated Press
    Thursday, October 2, 2003 Posted: 4:15 PM EDT (2015 GMT)
    CNN

Jack Black runs through the history of rock 'n' roll in "The School of Rock."

(AP) -- If ever a movie deserved to be a colossal, demographic-busting hit, it's "The School of Rock," a nearly miraculous comedy about a fifth-grade rock band with just the right mix of structure and spontaneity, sweetness and subversion.

In an era when "family film" usually refers to movies that nobody without kids would go near, "The School of Rock" has genuine appeal for everyone -- it doesn't pander or condescend. (Parents, don't be scared away by the PG-13 rating "for some rude humor and drug references" -- the references are so mild they'll fly over the heads of younger kids, who shouldn't be denied the huge kick they'll get out of this movie.)

The only viewers who may not be bowled over by "The School of Rock" are those predisposed to hating Jack Black, who's in every scene and is amped up to 11 throughout.

But Black will likely change the minds of many naysayers with his hilarious, freewheeling performance. He's kept in check just enough by director Richard Linklater, who's somewhat of a surprise for this film after his previous ponderous meditations, "Slacker" and "Waking Life." This is the director's best work since 1995's "Before Sunrise."

Black is Dewey Finn, a small-town rocker whose passion far exceeds his talent. He's fired by his businesslike bandmates for his spotlight-hugging antics, including a shirtless stage dive into a crowd that indifferently lets him crash to the floor.

Dewey is also wearing out his welcome with his pasty roommate, Ned Schneebly (Mike White, who also wrote the screenplay), and Ned's shrill, manipulative girlfriend (Sarah Silverman). Needing income to avoid getting kicked out of their apartment, Dewey poses as Ned to get a job as a substitute teacher at an exclusive prep school.

New project: 'rock band'
    Initially bored by his well-behaved, overachieving 10-year-olds, Dewey finds inspiration when he sees them performing in music class. (As he discovers their talents, Black uses his eyebrows more expressively than any actor since Jack Nicholson in "The Shining.") Dewey immediately starts a new class project, "rock band," which will be kept secret from parents and from the uptight Principal Mullins (a fabulously stressed-out Joan Cusack).

Black leaves nothing in reserve as Dewey shares his passion for rock, turning into a great teacher in the process. His chubby body roils and twists with the soul of history's greatest rockers, to whom Dewey's life is an endless homage. When Black and the kids rock out in Dewey's van to Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," it's an uproarious ode to the power of music.

The script is perfectly suited to the talents of its star, embracing Black's dead-on comic timing and the showmanship he brings to the stage as frontman of the duo Tenacious D.

Twists on formula
    But the brilliance of the screenplay from White, who also wrote the very dark "Chuck & Buck" and "The Good Girl," starring Jennifer Aniston, goes much further, because he applies formula so gently.

It's nothing new to see an antic teacher bringing out his students' suppressed talents while making a mockery of school policy, but White never lays the inspirational message on too thick. Thus when Dewey helps shy backup singer Tomika overcome her stage fright or tells unpopular keyboardist Lawrence that the band will make him one of the coolest kids in school, it's genuinely touching.

White and Linklater manage to make the movie's predictability an asset: We know Dewey will be discovered as a fraud eventually, but the filmmakers turn maudlin convention on its head by making it the funniest scene in the movie. "Your kids have touched me, and I'm pretty sure I've touched them," Dewey tells a roomful of horrified parents.

We also know the kids will rally around Dewey for a climactic gig that will prove his worth as a teacher and theirs as rockers, and Linklater creates a tingling sense of anticipation for the performance. When they finally take the stage, these kids -- all of whom sing and play their own instruments -- really do rock.

They keep on rocking straight through the closing credits, and you'd be crazy to leave your seat before they're finished. "The School of Rock" is a warm and buoyant triumph -- as delightful as movies get.

"The School of Rock," a Paramount Pictures release, is rated PG-13 for some rude humor and drug references.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

This is the first mainstream movie to come out in a long time that I really want to see.

4. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I love Jack Black, Tenacious D is one of my favorite CD's and I loved him in Saving Silverman and Orange County. This is a definite must-see for me. Especially to hear him wail on the Immigrant Song.....Rock on!

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Awww, yeah...rude humor and drug references...

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw some special on MTV (don't laugh) and he was rehearsing with a band of kids. The kids looked like they were in jr high and they were really playing. They were doing some AC/DC song and the little guitar player was jumping around like Angus Young. Again, they were really playing. :eek:

I've got to see this movie.

It should be like Mr. Hollands Opus on acid. :D

7. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I am going to see this film today. I am sneaking. Then I have a date scheduled with my wife for tomorrow after UT demolishes K-State. We are going to see the movie. I am a big JB, KG, D, Jack Black fan. He stole my heart in Airborn and grabbed even tighter in his one armed role in The Jackal. His grip was fortified in Enemy of the State and eternalized in Shallow Hal.

dude's genius. BTW-my wife loves him too. He's hosting SNL Saturday so I am planning on having a wonderful weekend.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I can't wait to see this too. Also, I watched the Diary of Jack Black on MTV and you got to see him practicing with the kids, they really can rock. Those kids are freaking talented and it's my understanding that they looked for kid musicians instead of actors when they casted.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

And, of course, High Fidelity...Jack Black's finest hour...

"The night that Laura's Daddy died! Motha what a night it really was! Brotha what a night it really was! Shana na nana na nana na nana na!"

10. Fatty FatBastard

What am I apparently missing? I haven't seen a lot of Jack Black, but what I have seen, I have found annoying.

Only heard it once, but someone made me listen to a Tenacious D CD, and I thought it was Gawd-awful.

I've seen Shallow Hal possibly 3 times, and I don't see any humor in his character.

Again, I know this is limited knowledge of his humor, but so far, he hasn't been impressive in my opinion.

What is his quintessential work yet?

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

When Tenacious D performed at the Verizon, and they did the "dropping LSD in the desert to create the next greatest song...wait, LSD? no this is EPT...EPT? oh god, I'm pregnant!!!" sketch, I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself.

I am psyched for this movie.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

You've really got to see Tenacious D, the (cancelled) HBO series, to fully appreciate the D and Jack Black. Most of the songs on the CD deal with particular episode plots and can only really be understood when watching the show.

"Dianetics Jr. much better than Krishna/
    Dianetics Jr. much better indeed."

13. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Ok i just got back from watching this movie..
    let me say great movie making.. jack black although i want him all to myself is going to be having a coming out party now.

he will be the next big thing and im glad he deserves it and i know he will never sell out.(bongwater rulez!!)

i reccomend anyone to see this movie.. its great for kids and others.. i think he will make rock fans of a new generation by showing rock for what it truly is.. not what the record companies say it is today..

ok enough of me for one night.. off to the bob marley festival here in houston at Elanor Tinsley Park.. tickets are only 10 bucks go check it out

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have somehow been spared any previews of this Jack Black/Richard Linklater flick.

I am pumped.

15. mduke

mduke Member

Looks good....Going to see it tomorrow.

16. wiws316

wiws316 Member

im gonna see this movie tonight

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

And don't forget: JACK BLACK IS HOSTING SNL tomorrow night! Season premier.

18. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Jesus I laughed throughout the entire film.

Literally there were like prolly 10 minutes of the film where I didnt laugh.....

GO SEE THIS MOVIE! Jack Black is amazing.....

Dd

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I saw this movie last night. Pretty damn good, I must say. Those kids freaking rock out! Jack Black is great, but he basically plays Jack Black, star of Tenacious D (which I guess is a good thing in my opinion).

Remember, kids: Tenacious D: In the Pick of Destiny starts filming in January (and will be directed by Sifl & Olly's Liam Lynch, who wrote some of the songs for School of Rock)!! IT'S GONNA BLOW OUT YOUR ASS AND MELT YOUR BRAIN!!! ROCK!!

20. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

Great movie i thought it was so funny! Those kids are amazing watch the end credits they really jam. This movie has to have the best sound track ever.