1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub VS Eli

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RedDynasty, Jan 18, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2. Asian Sensation

To everyone saying "I wonder what Shaub would look like with Eli's receivers"..... Have you ever thought maybe it's Eli that does a good job of getting his receivers the ball?

Imagine if Eli had Arian Foster to check down to and inflate his stats? Imagine if Eli had an Owen Daniels instead of making somebodies out of nobodies such as Kevin Boss (who by the way dissappeared back to obscurity) or Jake Ballard. Lets not forget Shockey also had his best years as a Giant. Steve Smith had a career year 2 years ago and I know he was injured most of last season but I doubt he ever has a season like he did without Eli. Also Victor Cruz came out of nowhere and Eli has been instrumental towards his success. Shaub has arguably the best receiver in AJ in the league. It's not that the Giants receivers are so great. Eli makes them that much better.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Except that, according to every relevant statistic, he doesn't. (not as good as Schaub, at least)

That's good for a ride in the lmaousine.

Matt Schaub's best year to date was without Arian Foster or Ben Tate, he led the NFL in passing yards and had nearly a 99 QBR... with the league's worst rushing offense (not to mention defense) backing him up.

And in case you hadn't noticed, nobody in the Texans receiving corp sets the world on fire when Schaub isn't around.

Just for fun I went and looked up OD's stats without Schaub:

28 yards per game w/o Schaub. You know how much he averages with Schaub? 56. Literally twice as much. That chicken-egg argument goes both ways.

#103 DonnyMost, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. Asian Sensation

Yea..No

5. Asian Sensation

And what exactly did Shaub win that year? And where did he take his team to?

Exactly...

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

This board you cannot take seriously.

Marcus Morris = Glenn Robinson, Paul Pierce, or Carmelo Anthony
    Donatas Montiejunas= Pau Gasol, Andrea Bargnani, or a smaller Yao Ming
    Patrick Patterson = Buck Williams
    Aaron Brooks = Can be the star of this team and get us to playoffs.
    Chase Budinger = future all-star
    David Andersen = serviceable center
    Vince Young = The Legend that Won't Die (or needs fair chance)
    Bob Sura = This board was unbearable . . .
    Andre Johnson = He's better than Jerry Rice
    Kevin Kolb = Don't get me started.

(Opposite end)
    Rick Adelman = Was annually trashed. (I thought he did a great job, here).
    Aaron Brooks = (Not all fans, but some) This team would sink without Alston.
    Yao Ming = Trading him for players, like Andris Biedrins, Andrew Bogut, or Brook Lopez (when was still fairly healthy), while some often fought tooth and nail to say they were even better players than he was.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asian Sensation

LMAO. So true.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Every time somebody busts out this argument I take it to mean that you're stupid and give up. Surrender accepted.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I suppose I should have expected this brilliant analysis from a guy who thought Dennis Dixon would take the NFL by storm. Not mention thinking that stupid "DIXON YOUR MOUTH" nickname was actually clever/funny.

10. Asian Sensation

Because the only person that WOULDN'T use that argument is a Texan fan. Sorry to burst your Shaub circle jerk parade.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

ur right bro. terry bradshaw. best qb evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

12. Asian Sensation

Aww somebody is still butt hurt over a game from over 4 years ago.

Tell me more about Case Keenum being the next Drew Brees. LOL.

13. Asian Sensation

It must've been pretty clever for your dull self to remember it over 4 years later.

I don't recall saying Dixon was going to take the NFL by storm ever. With that said he hasn't done any worse than your Hero/Mega bust Kolb.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Replying twice to the same post. Admission of being absolutely owned.

Just in time too, any more time spent talking to you and I'd catch a wicked case of the stupids.

Eli > Rivers? Lulz.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Postseason

Eli - 7 wins, 10 games, 87.5 passer rating, 16 TD, 8 Int

Rivers - 3 wins, 7 games, 79.2 passer rating, 8 TD, 9 Int

I'll take Eli

16. justafriend

justafriend Member

I'm firmly on the Eli side, but Nicks and Cruz are both Top 15 WR's anywhere. And Manningham would be the #2 for a lot of teams and even the #1 on a couple.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

If the 49ers didnt fumbled those two punts, (especially the first one) Eli wouldnt have a chance to play in the superbowl.

18. conquistador#11

I don't know what game you were watching but I saw eli suiting up on defense and going out there on special teams.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well this discussion took a nose dive into turdville.

There were some good points made earlier in this thread though

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Statistically, Montana v. Young is much closer than Schaub v. Eli; in fact, Schaub v. Eli is a numerical blow-out in favor of Schaub. Frankly, Eli has to have the other aspects – all very impressive, mind you – to even be in the conversation with Schaub.

This is what I mean… you’re not going to budge an inch, are you? Other than total TDs, Schaub leads Manning in every other statistical category: higher completion %; higher YPA; higher QBR; more yards; fewer INTs. And yes, it’s every bit as dominant as I suggested: he’s totaled 3,100 more passing yards; he completed passes at a near 10% better clip; 29 fewer interceptions; and an 11-point advantage in QBR*.

(* all counting numbers are estimated based on the same # of passing attempts. Overall, as is with no adjustments, Schaub has a 10-point advantage is QBR.)

And that is why I mentioned it. Again, none of us are blind to Schaub’s limitations.

Eli’s teams have absolutely won more. You might recall, I mentioned that, too. But, I’m sorry – team wins are not the “most important stat” when it comes to evaluating individual QBs. It’s relevant; Eli has obviously been an important component of a winning team. But I’m not going to hold Schaub to the fire because Kris Brown can’t make FGs; or Chris Brown can’t pick up a yard; or the defense can’t stop Mark Sanchez…

This is such a non-starter for me – what mediocre teams routinely make the playoffs? Further, are you suggesting this Giant team isn’t a playoff team with Matt Schaub? That’s insane. It’s a very good football team with a very good QB.

You’re cherry-picking stats that favor Eli and flat-ignoring the ones that favor Schaub – notice how I didn’t run from any numbers? I listed them all – know why? They overwhelmingly favor Schaub. Where’s the INT ratio? Completion %? YPA? QB rating? Why are these numbers not important? And you’re again giving Eli much too much credit for team accomplishments.

I’ll point out again: I’m not arguing definitively Schaub is better. Just that the anti-Schaub crowd will not budge and here’s more proof. You’re so busy twisting yourself into contortions trying to find creaks and crevices that give Eli the advantage, you can’t even acknowledge that Schaub is better than you think, and that the debate is closer than you think.