1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub VS Eli

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RedDynasty, Jan 18, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, and it's also funny how he'll play like a brain-dead r****d against some of the worse defenses in the NFL too, at home. That's why they call it "streaky" I guess.

Manning faces less pass rush and performs worse, Schaub faces more pass rush and performs better. How is that a dumb way to compare how each QB handles pressure? Matt is smarter with the ball. If you want to believe that Eli's modest amount of scrambling ability is going to negate all those sacks and pressures (which it wouldn't), then you have to account for his higher turnover numbers somehow. I attribute them to the fact that, when pressured, Eli has a tendency to try to make a riskier play, whereas Matt will either eat it or throw it away, usually the latter.

So, even assuming they're under the same amount of pressure, we have evidence that shows us how each responds differently to it (which was the main point anyway). If having "escapability" really reduced sack and pressure numbers all that much, Michael Vick would be virtually untouchable. And conversely, if being a "statue" meant your sack/pressure numbers would naturally be higher, then Peyton Manning would be topping the charts. But neither is the case. Though not perfect, I think it's safe to use the cummulative sack/pressure numbers as a barometer for the relative amount of protection each NFL QB has in a given year.

#41 DonnyMost, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You picked a year with Eli having his highest ever interception number and Matt's lowest of his only two full seasons played.

Eli - 30 sacks 14 Int 2.8 Int%
    Schaub - 25 sacks 15 Int 2.6 Int%

2008 -
    Eli - 27 sacks 10 Int 2.1 Int%
    Schaub 23 scaks 10 Int 2.6 Int%

3. Bandwagoner

Matt also has a superior scheme, superior #1 wide receiver, receiving RB, and TE for his entire starting career. Gary protects him very well, when he gets a sack it is never a total blowout hit like Eli takes.

IMO Matt has also had the superior O-Line.

4. E_Saiyan

E_Saiyan Member

There are those that manage games and those that win games when necessary...Schaub is the former and Eli is the latter. Statistically, both fall in the same tier of QB rankings (just below the big four).

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

OK, fine. Let's do career then. (not counting rookie season for Eli to make it fair)

Eli
    Sacks per game: 1.61
    Attempts per game: 32.98
    Comp %: 58
    Yards per comp: 12.08
    Yards per attempt: 7
    TDs per game: 1.59
    INTs per game: 1.07
    Fum per game: .57

Matt
    Sacks per game: 1.75
    Attempts per game: 33.09
    Comp %: 65
    Yards per comp: 12.23
    Yards per attempt: 8
    TDs per game: 1.44
    INTs per game: .81
    Fum per game: .50

Clearly Matt takes better care of the ball (while still throwing the ball more often and further down the field on average!) than Eli, no matter how you feel the sack numbers play into it.

#45 DonnyMost, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This isn't even close. Schaub is not elite.

7. Bandwagoner

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Neither is Eli.

Difference is, Eli is a homerun hitter while Matt is an OPS guy.

Credit to Eli, when he got the chance in the playoffs, he hit homers. Meanwhile, Matt has been saddled with crappy teams and broken bones. Hopefully he'll get his chance soon.

Clearly, in terms of QBing ability, I think Schaub is better and prefer his playing style. Different strokes for different folks. But to say "it's not close" is kinda silly.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neither is Eli really.

10. Bandwagoner

It isn't close for these reasons IMO:

Eli is more durable than Schaub. He has taken bigger hits and not missed a game.

Eli has stepped up in huge situations and proven he can win it all.

There about what 15-20 guys that can play QB? When you have one and he misses 5 games and the entire playoffs, that kinda sucks.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Give me Eli all day... I want someone who's gonna go out there and let it fly......He gives it everything he got every game... I can respect a QB that'll take chances and improvises.... Nothing wrong with Schaub leading your team when you're winning ...But he makes an easy target for criticism when you're losing, due in large part, to his cautious approach...

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I attribute this to sheer luck/random chance. There's really no way you can back up the "he's has taken bigger hits" statement. And even then, a big hit doesn't mean much if it isn't in the right place, ask Adrian Peterson, who took a modest hit to the knee (lol arrow?) that may well end his career. A fat f*** like Haynesworth falling on your foot seems more like a random occurrence, too. It's not like Schaub has had the same injury over and over again, a la Yao Ming/Tracy McGrady, or even Matt Leinart (broken collar bone in the same place twice). When the injuries have nothing to do with each other (like Schaub), I count that more as bad luck, and less as a pattern.

This is the trump card that I'm fine with Eli fans playing over Matt. He has the skins on the wall. Good for him. Matt also has skins on the wall in the form of overall statistically better QB play. Unfortunately his playoff report card is still marked "incomplete".

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Have you people ever considered that Eli makes his receivers better?

14. Bandwagoner

Long time argument but I always fall on the side that injury prone doesn't have to mean you have the same injury over and over again.

If I went out and played RB in the NFL (and then suffered season ending inuries on my first or second touch each year) there is no reason it will be the same injury each time. I might snap and ACL, then rotator cuff, then broken leg etc.

3/5 years suggests not so random chance IMO.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those WRs are pretty legit. It does seem weird, for me, to say that a QB makes his WRs better. I mean, they still have to run routes and catch the ball when it's thrown to them. Obviously the QB has to get them the ball, but the WR still has to make the play at the end. I can see how an offensive scheme makes a WR better because scheme will allow him to get open.

The durability is a fair point. I don't consider Schaub injury prone but for Eli to has that starting streak...it is impressive.

As for the "he's proven". I see the point but like Donny mentioned, schaub has an incomplete there. I don't put that on schaub's ability given he hasnt had the chance and that lack of a chance has not been due to him.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

There is very much reason it will be the same injury each time. When you break a bone or tear a ligament, you are prone to either injuring the same area again, or prone to having "sympathy" injuries that are related to/as a cause of your initial injury.

For example, AJ pulling his left hamstring after pulling his right.

Yao's feet problems. Tracy's back problems. Matt Leinart snapping his collar bone in the exact same spot as last time.

When the injuries are totally unrelated to each other, it's much more likely to be random chance than it is to be that you're just "brittle all over."

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Thats true ..But what makes Eli legendary and clutch is his ability to recognize a blitz and just throw the damn ball as high/far as he can... Then the Wr's make proper adjustments and make highlight reel plays for their QB... But to those that don't know football, it would seem like Eli made a spectacular pass....Though I love his "**** it" swag, I would honestly call Eli the most overrated , luckiest SOB to ever play the QB position.. This is why I would love to have him as my QB, he's gonna make a play or attempt to.... He's not gonna go into a shell because of a jailbreak blitz... Just throw it up and see what happens!!!!

18. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Cruz has been eye-opening this year. The way he adjusts on routes and beats double coverages, any decent quarterback will make him look good.

19. Relentless

Relentless Member

Yeah, this post is r****ded. "just throw it up and see what happens"?

That's what 5th round QBs do

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Welcome to javal_lon's world.

[​IMG]

UNLEASH THE DRAGON!!

1 person likes this.