1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub VS Eli

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RedDynasty, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Eli is better than Shaub..... but I honestly do not trust either as much as I would Brady, Rogers, Brees or a few others.

Shaub is a good QB, but I do not think he is elite.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Based on the thread title, we need RoxSqaud to weigh in on this.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

nope. not even close. what an insult to eli manning this thread is. and it makes houston fans look downright imbecilic.

need this thread locked and deleted.

4. Nook

Nook Member

No, Eli is not going to be the modern Joe Montana... he isn't even as good as his brother... Eli did not beat Rodgers and Brady anymore than saying Bradshaw is the best QB ever because he has 4 Super Bowl titles.

If anyone is the modern Joe Montana it is Brady.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I feel like we've touched on this subject here before. I really don't think it needs to be revisted..

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go start a a thread asking if people believe in God or not.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt is taken out of his comfort zone easily. And when left to his own devices his decision making is atrocious. He panics .... just like our HC....coincidence? The result is usually a big pick - It often seems to happen in the red zone ...and when it doesn't, it's a pick six the other way. These are big momentum killers. In addition, Schaub is brittle....evidenced by his history of being injury prone. Despite all these things, when healthy Matt is probably at the back end of the top 10. I think it is incumbent upon the Texans to pick up another QB before next season......and they need to be much better than Yates or Matt2. We need either major insurance or a complete swap out.(which isn't going to happen)

As to the original question ....Give me Eli over Schaub any day.

#26 Plowman, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well put. I think it's a lot closer that people are thinking. Mostly it's because Eli has had his best season ever and he is on everyone's mind right now. Before this year, I would take schaub. If Eli keeps up his current play, then he gets the nod. Basically, to me, it's a push more or less.

And will people stop trotting out the r****ded statement "he's won a playoff game/superbowl" argument as if that is actually a measure of the individual player's ability.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The numbers say differently. Matt makes better decisions under duress than Eli (every once in a while Eli makes a big play, but Matt gambles less). More accurate and less turnovers. When left to his own devices, Eli turns into "the ol' gun slinger". Matt, however, is robot-like in his execution... which leads to greater efficiency and better protection of the ball. The price we pay for that is the fact that Matt will never scramble for a 1st down like Eli will, and won't be chucking balls 40 yards down field looking for his WR to win a jumpball contest. I would argue that Matt isn't taken out of his comfort zone easily, but when he *is* (which is far less often than Eli), he is more prone to making mistakes than Eli is. Thankfully for us, Matt rarely goes rogue and doesn't lose his composure. Unlike Eli, who is pretty erratic and a loose cannon sometimes and definitely more easily "rattled".

Stats:

NYG:
    16 Sacks allowed
    52 QB Hits
    63% comp
    25 INT
    5 FUM
    85 QBR

HOU:
    32 Sacks allowed
    76 QB Hits
    64% comp
    12 INT
    3 FUM
    92 QBR

#28 DonnyMost, Jan 19, 2012
  9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm not a Schaub-hater but come on even if it was tied(which it isn't) Eli holds the tiebreaker because he has a ring. Eli really proved himself this season, maybe Schaubby can do that next year.

10. Major

Major Member

Eli probably does more good things to help his team win. He probably also does more bad things to help his team lose. He seems to be more prone to inconsistency - more great games, more terrible games.

Statistically, Schaub has consistently had the better QB rating until this year - Eli gets overrated a bit because of the Giants; for much of his career - and especially his Superbowl year - he was not a great QB. But he had a great hot streak in the playoffs that year.

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

he is having a very good season. He was also terrible last year. If you want to point to one season as proof he's better, then look at Schaub's 2009 season...which was really better than Eli's.

I'm not surprised by people picking Eli, that's fine and I understand. There are valid points. However, I do think that people are focused so much on the QB du jour that they are forgetting history.

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

We often say that Schaub is streaky...Eli blows schaub out of the water in that category.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So from what I gather, Eli has more natural talent and tends to push the envelope because he has that swagger about his talent. Schaub is less talented, knows it, and more often than not will throw it away rather than risk a bad play.

So to simplify it, Schaub - more of a game manager, Eli - more of the traditional stud #1 overall pick QB (not named David Carr)

14. what

what Member

hot streak or clutch? you decide. looks like he is having another hot streak.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Touche, b,b, .. but Schaub doesn't have a super cool mustache![​IMG]

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

chicken or egg? Eli does have some real stinker moments in clutch situations as well.

He is just a streaky player. This is really the first year that he's put together a complete season.

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

funny that he has these "streaks" in the playoffs against the best defenses in the NFL. On the road.

6 TD's
    1 Int
    95.7 rating

6 TD's
    1 Int
    88.7 rating

Comparing stats on sacks and hits is a dumb way to compare the pressure two quarterbacks are under when Schaub is a statue and Eli can escape.

19. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

or just Victor Cruz.

I'd like to see what Schaub can do with a receiving corp the caliber of Nicks/Cruz/Manningham, but Eli's arm and mobility get the nod over Schaub.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That programmed or robot quality seems to take over on those screens, dinks, and out patterns that cause Matt so many problems....shorter routes w/the ball thrown while under pressure (many times off the back foot)... the results are usually catastrophic as the defense is waiting with open arms. Along that line of thought.. Matt often holds onto the ball too long .... self perpetuating mechanism here....(succumbs to the pass rush early, sitting down in the pocket (causing vision issues) or drifting out and letting loose with one of his special deliveries) resulting in more sacks/pressure. If you pro rate out this season the two are close, but Manning's improvisation contains much upside with the right cast. True it can work for and against him. But the way I see it.... Eli is a much more talented QB (who can think on his feet) and if he had the benefit of AJ, Arian, our line, and this defense ...forget about it....sky's the limit for us.
    All this said, I was a proponent of trading for Schaub and believe that we can win it all with him ....just have to have a very good backup in case he goes down.

#40 Plowman, Jan 19, 2012