1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub unhappy with Kubiak’s decision but accepts demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

He never was great and now hes bad. Its not crazy if you watched the games. Seriously dude if you thought Schaub would have not choked when it came playoff crunch time then you havent been paying attention.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

So people are crazy for thinking schaub could never win at the highest level, never mind the fact that he never won at the highest level or ever got even remotely close?

And btw, I like how you then completely demolish your own argument that schaub could win at the highest level..... If every little thing went exactly right.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I’ve always been curious… why can’t there be *any* give from your side? No concession, no reevaluation – nothing. I’ve given. I watched him mentally implode last year and said as much. I didn’t make excuses; I didn’t argue in the face of a mound of evidence (a mound, mind you, that didn’t previously exist) – so why do you?

Because here’s the thing - no one had any idea how Schaub would react to “meaningful” games. (And don’t claim you did because “meaningful” was continuously used disingenuously by your ilk; namely, if the team lost and/or Schaub played poorly, it was a meaningful game; if they won and/or Schaub played exceedingly well, it wasn’t. It’s a pattern that was repeated throughout Schaub’s tenure and no one from the anti-Schaub crowd – a crowd that routinely screams about stats being twisted and manipulated and thrown out of context, btw - has or will ever cop to it.)

Devoid of any concrete evidence (you yourself, in that word salad of a response, said he didn't play a meaningful game until 2012), there was no reason to assume a QB who had posted a 95.7 QBR the previous three years would spit the bit in the playoffs. And if you want to make that claim – back it up. Don’t tell me anecdotally that he got fat on 8/9-win teams and then, when that theory is blown to smithereens, go hide behind “STATS LIE!!” and “yeah but”s. And speaking of, when did stats become meaningless? If I argued Case Keenum was awful in his first two games because, at the end of the day, the guy is 0-2 as a starter, including blowing an 18-point lead at home – how would you combat that? Keep in mind, you’re the guy that just posted,
    It’s not a remotely coherent thought – but you seem to be arguing that certifiably great individual numbers are somehow hollow if they don’t occur in the postseason. So try and convince me 0-2 Case Keenum is playing well. Has he played the Patriots in the playoffs in both of his starts?

Matt Schaub was a very good QB; he was, at times, a great QB. Unfortunately, the moment last year seemed to swallow him whole and I don’t have any issue copping to it. He drove a promising season into the ditch and I would pin it almost entirely on him. I hope he never throws another pass for this franchise. And other than arguing he earned the chance to prove his finish last year was a fluke, I haven’t defended the guy in more than a year, other than to counter this revisionist BS that he was always a bad QB and we’ve always known it because, retroactively, we picked important moments when he failed and, “See?!?!” It’s remarkably disingenuous.

I'll give you another example: this "9th year" garbage. He made three starts his first three seasons: we're going to hold no playoffs against the back-up? Really? And he would have made the playoffs in 2011, which was his fifth year as a starter. I'm not defending that record, per se - but it speaks to your desperate bias that rather than deal in reality, which isn’t appreciably agreeable with regards to defending Schaub, you choose instead to try and make it *even* worse with a completely insincere “fact” that falls to the ground in a puddle with even a modicum of critical thought (in a post that rails against stats being manipulated, no less – see the irony?)

Again, I've copped to Schaub. Why won't you? Why do you insist on digging your heels in?

1 person likes this.
  4. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Like i said...2011 was the only team capable of winning with Matt as the starter...but he fell to a freak injury and our offense couldn't score with TJ Yates.

Not sure i follow you on the second paragraph. How does that demolish my argument? I said they could do it in 2011 because that was the most complete Texans squad (specifically the Oline and Defense).

5. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Bro give it up. They want to rub the Matt Schaub is elite thread in your face. I've talked to many Matt Schaub haters in real life and they just don't like the guy. They want Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers and anyone that doesn't stack up isn't worth wasting time on. That's the mentality.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's not it at all. it's just that many folks - despite the solid numbers schaub put up for a handful of seasons - could see that he was nothing more than a middle of the road qb who could put up decent stats against pedestrian activity, and that he does not and never has had the ability to take this team deep in the playoffs.

7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Will Keenum be starting the remainder of the year because of his great performance vs Indy despite the team losing and just developing him and see what he has in his tank for these 8 games?

Or will the Schaub era continue?

Kind of confused what's going on guys.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely. A physically limited, mentally fragile guy that could put up numbers against mediocre defenses when surrounded with Pro Bowlers.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Keenum's been told hes starter rest of season via source.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

"In addition to Keenum's upside, it's the plays he doesn't make that make him a better option to lead the Texans' offense. Schaub's infamous stretch of four consecutive games with having an interception returned for a touchdown highlight his biggest weakness at this point.

Not only is he lacking confidence, but now he's hesitating more and more often as a result of his mistakes.

Keenum is accurate enough to do damage but also rarely makes the mistake of putting too much trust in his arm. In his final season with the Cougars, he threw 48 touchdown passes to just five interceptions.

But even if Schaub rediscovers his old form, the Texans can confirm that it doesn't translate to championship football. Houston has won just one playoff game with Schaub under center.

At 2-6 and with the season effectively over, Houston would be better suited to see what Keenum can do as the starting quarterback over the second half of the season and moving forward."

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ding ding ding...winner winner chicken dinner.

DD

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

To be fair. Schaub supporters were supporting the 09/10 Schaub.

Something happened to the guy.

Young guy comes in and he looks like he could be the next Drew Brees.

We will see how it all plays out, but I saw two things that made me a believer.

1) hard count to direct blitz pick up

2) running for the first down on 2 deep safety look when pass play was called. He knows the game, and balled out.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

people with eyeballs confirmed this years ago..