1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub unhappy with Kubiak’s decision but accepts demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "old" Schaub was good enough to get the Texans to the point they were before the season started. The career arc of Matt as our starting QB was as follows: learning to be a starter with a terrible team around him, really good starter with a bad defense, really, really good starter with a great defense (2011), really good starter with an ok defense (for 2/3s of 2012), less than adequate starter with a defense that was lacking playmakers (sans Watt) for the last third of 2012. A lot of us hoped the last third of 2012 was an anomaly, especially after the 2-0 start this year, but that's just turned out to be fool's gold.

The bottom line is that the pre-injury Schuab was someone you could win with in the NFL with a good supporting cast around him. This new, yet older, Schaub is not the same guy we've seen in the past.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Schaub looked like a sad little puppy every time the camera panned to him last night. He seemed completely detached from the team. Must have really sucked for him realizing he is the new Wally Pipp.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i've said it before but Hey Now!'s opinion on qb's is forever nullified on this board.

1 person likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I actually felt kind of bad for the guy yesterday, seeing him standing on the sideline with his helmet on, seemingly in another world.

Then I remembered how much money he made by just standing there for 3 hours and I didn't feel as bad for him anymore.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i dont' care how much money someone makes. no one likes being demoted and i'm sure he's not saying to himself, "well, at least i make $10 million more dollars than Case." millionaires are human. i do feel bad for him, but i don't want to see him on the field anymore.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And I love how you… non-stat guys, I guess, exist in a fantasyland of your own making in which everything - and I do mean everything – even remotely positive is conveniently shredded because, lord forbid, you allow an objective thought to mar your vitriolic witch hunt.

For the record, josephnicks set the parameters for evaluating Schaub’s 2009 season
    To then accuse my blowing of his parameters to smithereens as twisting facts is just laughable. If you disagree, feel free to dispute. But my guess is that we’ll just get more accusations of me being a stat geek, of twisting numbers, etc., because, frankly, that’s all you have. The “yeah but”ing of Matt Schaub, even long after his ship has sailed, continues.

As we saw last night, sometimes there’s only so much a QB can do; sometimes, the other handsomely paid players have to execute, too. I could certainly criticize elements of Keenum’s play (same for Schaub back in the day) – but as was the case in 2009 and 2010, if I were to make a list of 100 problems with this team last night, QB would sit at #101.

Nobody wants objectivity. Just unmitigated rage and knee-jerk emotion. The ship is sailed on Schaub; I haven’t defended his play in more than a year. And while I detest having to defend the guy now because, again, I’m not buying stock in him at all anymore, I refuse to retroactively apply my current level of dissatisfaction to the rest of an otherwise very good career.

In terms of QB evaluating prowess – if you’re going to try and argue that Matt Schaub between 2009 and 2010 (and I’ll even extend it to 2011 through the first 12 games of 2012) wasn’t an incredibly good NFL QB… I’m not the one that should have their credentials questioned.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

2 words, "system quarterback"! keenum did things last night that schaub could never do on his best day. Yeah they lost because we have yet to get a coach that will instill a winning mentality in this organization. Seems that you let stats block your vision. Stats do not tell the whole story, by your way of thinking the Texans dont need a coach they need a robot to compute the percentages with no feel for the game, (which does kinda soundlike kubs) only the robot would call better plays.

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Matt should sign off and leave the Texans this offseason. And I feel like he'll opt out before the GM tells him that they have decided to part ways.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

in our dreams... we will be eating that 10.5mil of cap dead weight. :(

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

For everyone talking about his helmet being on, I think he was just listening to the plays through his helmet instead of a headset.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Prospective teams for Schoob?

Maybe the Vikings with Peterson or the Browns? Both are primarily a running/TE attack who need a game manager.

The Jags maybe looking for a vet to mentor Bridgewater?

Jet's with Ground and Pound, looking for a game manager?

The Raiders as always looking for QBs.

That's the only teams I could see be interested.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I could see Jax, assuming they draft one early, as a mentor and insight into a divisional rival.

Jets are all in with Geno.

Vikings? Doubtful as they'll likely draft one early, too, and probably won't want to spend the money on a vet backup.

I think the Raiders like Pryor and will give him at least another season.

Schaub is looking at finishing his career as a backup. I could see the Redskins trying to sell high on Cousins and then sign Schaub as a backup to RG3 with experience in that system.

13. The Stig

The Stig Member

Rams maybe? Bradford is out and is injury prone.

Poisonous contract is poisonous though...

14. Nook

Nook Member

Matt Shaub has had a well above average NFL career as a quarterback. He has had nice statistics and at his best bordered on joining the perenial pro bowl level... he just slipped and didn't get over the edge.

Ultimately Matt will be remembered by me as frustrating. He made plays (some system based), but ultimately his physical limitations stand out.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

But overall, we gain 4 million in cap space.

It's either keep Schaub on the roster at a 14.5 million dollar hit...or release him and face a 10.5 million dollar hit.

Sucks, but I'd much rather have the free 4 million to work with.

I'd also cut Joseph and Reed in the process for a total savings of 14 million.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

They were talking about this on the radio...its much easier to hear and be a part of the team with a headset on and a clipboard in hand. He was isolated from the team and not interested. It was as if his helmet was a shield to protect himself. Just like he's weak mentally and crumbles during high pressure situations...he crumbled again on the sideline. Just a mental midget when it comes down to it.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. Since I'm not in Houston anymore I don't catch the radio shows as much. That does make a lot of sense.

He is being a baby at this point.

18. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Matt Schaub is Matt Hassellbeck but without a SB run. Both above average QBs in their primes....Borderline top 10 in their best seasons but never close to top 5 (which is where the elite QBs generally are)

19. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

I agree with Hey Now that fans that claim that Schaub was always a bad QB and that he wasn't good enough to win at the highest level are crazy.

But he needed everything to fall in place for that to happen. Looking back at his tenure the 2011 team was the only squad built to win at the highest level with Schaub. The online was one of the better units in the NFL (many including myself believed it to be a top 3 unit) and they gave matt the necessary time for the play to develop and for him to make the correct throw. Matt is not capable of eluding pressure like case to allow his WR to get open after the pocket collapses. That team had a solid secondary, got pressure from the OLB, had a healthy & beastly cush and had a solid defensive front line.

Losing Matt that year is one of the ultimate what ifs for this organization.

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you post the statistics and its end of discussion for you. you will never admit that the statistics do not tell the entire story. weve watched this guy play for several years and have formed an opinion on the way he handles situations. again post your stats that prove he was great/elite all you want, as of now the stats are all you have to fall back on when countless people have argued with you that he was never the answer over the years and you stuck to your guns.. we all remember the deer in headlights, mentally weak qb, the guy who folded time and time again. if he was at his best, the team was still losing and he was the one losing all the other games. we saw an extremely hyped qb who really hadnt played a meaningful football game until 2012 and with expectations he did what duds do.. the problem with stats is you see a guy like schaub go out put up a 90+ qb rating, 350 yards, complete almost 70% of his passes, and toss a couple TDs and say well stats show me he had a pretty good game.. well these are the stats against the patriots in the playoffs which we were never in.. its why backing your opinion with only stats is complete bull****.. all those meaningless yards.. i will say it once more, i will never understand how you can lable a qb elite who hadnt taken a playoff snap until his 9th year in the league. im done with it, the schaub era is finally coming to an end and just as many of us predicted, without a super bowl appearance, without so much as a conference game appearance..