1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub unhappy with Kubiak’s decision but accepts demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Poloshirtbandit

Schaub doesn't have anywhere near the background story that Dream or Earl Campbell did so it's not even comparable. Unless Schaub had gotten us to at least an AFC Championship game, most of us will be able to move on easily.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I actually like the "good as you dream every night on your hope pillow" comment. ;) No doubt Schaub had his "moments," but overall my recollection is that he feasted on the poor teams and faded when playing the good ones. His demeanor has NEVER been inspiring. There is some "sizzle" to Kennum. He looks more confident, doesn't seem to get as rattled. And KC was his first start in a very hostile environment. It was just impressive. As for Schaub, I have never been impressed with him. Just my take on the situation.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's not exclusive to Matt Schaub, though; it's true of virtually *every* QB. Take MVP Peyton Manning last year.

Against 2012 playoff teams:
    QBR:89.0
    Y/A: 6.9
    Completion %: 62.7
    INTs: 7 (244 attempts)
    Record: 2-4

Against non-2012 playoff teams:
    QBR: 117.9
    Y/A: 8.7
    Completion %: 72.8
    INTs: 4 (339 attempts)
    Record: 11-0

There's this weird disconnect with fans: they'll acknowledge that an opponent is good but fail to draw the very logical conclusion that said team is therefore harder to beat.

Of course Schaub feasted on weaker competition - he and the Texans were better than 80% of the league. But he had his fair share of wins against good competition - among the three teams that finished with a better record than the Texans last year (ATL, Denver, NE), none had more wins (four) against playoff teams than the Texans. Look it up. It's a fact.

If made-up components are important to you, cool. I have no idea what any of this means (sizzle?) and have little reason to believe it makes any difference on the field.

He's made one start - and yes, he absolutely looked confident, rarely got rattled... But do you honestly think Schaub routinely looked unconfident and rattled? While posting league-leading numbers for the better part of four seasons in which the team was 34-24 in games Schaub started?

Again, there's no reason to denigrate Schaub. He was a very good QB. And if Keenum isn't the answer and the Texans struggle to find an heir apparent, I think people are going to eventually realize this.

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

people wil insult you for saying stuff like this, but this is exactly where i really saw him for what he was. i thought he was a mental midget, scared of the spotlight, fantasy god. king between the 20s.. i cant remember how long the redzone was referred to as the dead zone and we didnt start punching it from goal consistently until arian emerged..

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

he was in pistol for most of the game.. hey i didnt even know that formation existed..

6. Hey Now!

Just curious which games stand out? They had one primetime game - he was 25/39, 300+ yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs. He was so insanely good in 2009 that people aren't going to insult you so much as pity you for apparently not understanding/appreciating football.

He ranked top 5 in yards (1st), TDs (5th), yards/game (1st), yards/attempt (4th), completion % (4th) - heck, he even finished 4th with 4 game-winning drives..... And this was with a 30th-ranked running game and a defense that finished 17th overall and gave up 21 points/game.

I mean, if you thought 2009 was your "aha" moment with Matt Schaub... I’m sorry. He was great in 2009. What more do you want from your QB?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No kidding, right?

If you accurately diagnosed Schaub as a ticking-turd-of-a-time-bomb in 2009, then you need to go be an NFL Scout/GM, like, yesterday.

Chances are, though, that these people are not would-be GMs and instead were just pissed that the team was losing (despite Schaub excelling) and decided to hang it on the QB.

That's the irony of Schaub's career, it seems. When the team was bad, he was pretty much the entire reason they were competitive at all. Now that the team is good, Schaub has decided to suck. If he could be 2009-2010 Schaub right now, we'd be kicking all sorts of ass.

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

when he didnt attempt a pass beyond 10 yards and got outplayed by rookie mark sanchez. a noodle arm curl route that got returned for 6 in arizona in crunch time.. a couple games were lost because of the chris/kris browns, even then the teams he was beating werent very good and typical schaub was not winning gmes against the better teams.. you stat guys get wet because he put up 4k yards on 8-8/9-7 teams.. the new england game in 09 was the biggest game in franchise history at the time and the texans were getting ran until welker got injured and pollard got a couple picks to comeback after being down big.. stats are for losers. matt schaub was great.. haha this sint fantasy football..

look at the records of the teams he beat in 09..

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2009.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2009.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/2009.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2009.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2009.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2009.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2009.htm

typical schaub, beat up on bad teams look flat against everyone else.. he beat 2 playoff teams that year, cincy and new england but we all know pats quit after welker was injured..

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

What a load of crap. Schaub is not nearly the same player he was in 2009, by any measure you choose. Seriously. GTFO with that garbage.

If Schaub played in 2009 the way he has played the last 12 months, that team might have gone 0'fer. Especially in 2010.

11. Hey Now!

Well said. I hate having to defend guys I'm otherwise done with - and I'm most assuredly done with Schaub... But the revisionist b******t that permeates this forum...

If you didn't think Schaub was an elite QB in 2009 (and frankly, 2010 when his defense was just soul-crushingly *awful*)... then your standards are so unrealistic, you're better off either rooting for Aaron Rodgers or giving up football altogether.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

because the system is failing so he is is failing. SYSTEM QB.. you want to diagnose youtube highlights and say he was slightly faster in 09 than he is now then fine.. hes the same guy, mentally, skill wise, that you defended all those years. now you need to believe hes hurt to justify the praise you gave for this mediocre bum.. you were probably excited when he got his extension..

1 person likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Schaub started to suck even before the system fell apart, but it sure didn't help. But guess what, back when the "system" originally sucked (2009-2010), Schaub played his best ball ever! Also, the "system" we currently have didn't really get implemented until 2011. Schaub played under two entirely different OCs and ran two fairly different offenses before settling into Kubiak's current style.

When have I ever said he is hurt? I think he sucks now and that is why he sucks. Is that a reportable injury in the NFL? Sprained Suckage? Out 3-4 weeks?

I would not have given him that extension until the end of 2012. But I did enjoy the fact that it pissed off the haters so much. That was the one bright side of the whole deal.

#73 DonnyMost, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  14. Hey Now!

Every QB has a bad game. In his record-shattering 2007 season, Brady had three games in which his QBR was below 80, including a 51.5 against the Jets. Gee, I guess they kind of had a good defense in those days, huh? (they finished first in 2009)...

Any clue what happened after the pick-6? (Hint: "chris/kris browns")

Oh, sure - his lesser teammates repeatedly let him down (in four games, mind you), but let's quickly sweep that aside so that you can put every loss on Schaub while excusing every win as being a team victory. That doesn't seem widly convenient at all.

Being a "stat guy" allows you to make more accurate analysis devoid of biased recollections - for instance, Schaub played four 8/9-win teams in '09; he actually played five that year that won 10+ (and was 2-3). Boom. (BTW, Peyton Manning, who won MVP that year, did it against eight (8!) 8/9-win teams while only playing two 10+-win teams. DAMN YOU, STATS!!!)

Schaub against 10+-win teams in 2009:
    150/214 (70%); 1,661 yards (7.8 Y/A); 11 TDs; 7 INTs; 96.3 QBR

Schaub against everyone else in 2009:
    246/369 (67%); 3,109 yards (8.4 Y/A); 18 TDs; 8 INTs; 99.9 QBR

(DAMN YOU, STATS, AGAIN!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU LEAVE ME AND MY COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED CONCLUSIONS ALONE?!???!??!??!??!??!?!?!? (cries, makes love to a Peyton Manning jersey, blows brains out....)

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i will never believe that PEAK schaub with a top notch defense could go on the road and beat a contender. you will find ways to justify his play and place blame on "lesser teamates" because their play is more important than your qb's play apparently. again post all your stats, because they will never tell the entire story. stats are great for reference, i never denied the guy could fill a stat sheet. the guy could avg 30ppg which he was close to one year (depressingly weak schedule which i believe our defense benefitted from too) and i would never pick him 100/100 to be the qb i hand the ball to to win a big game.. those numbers dont always translate into playoff success. again king between the 20s fantasy god.. i will never understand how you can label a qb elite who never took a playoff snap until his 9th season in the league..

16. Hey Now!

Typical. Once your baseless assertions are exposed as nothing more than recollections conjured in fantasyland, you reload by moving the target, "yeah, but"ing facts and performing a deep dive into obliviousness in which you can't see your own blindingly obvious biases (ie every loss is Schuab's fault; every win is in spite of him).

If surrounded by a mound of sand is your reality, and the fact Schaub made 2 starts in three years somehow disqualifies his credentials (though I'm 1,000,000% certain you wouldn't hold it against guys like Steve McNair or Aaron Rodgers), have at it. He was undeniably great in 2009 and 2010, and very good 2011 through the first 12 games of 2012 (which included a 15-1 stretch). To argue otherwise reveals a basic misunderstanding of the game of football.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh please are yall thru building up a qb that has done anything but choke on the big stage? Throw all your statistical bs out the window. You want statistics? One playoff game win in his tenure.The simple fact is Schaub never was and will never be a great qb. You can talk that crap to people that dont know any better. Take your Schaub pity party somewhere else.

1 person likes this.
  18. mick fry

mick fry Member

I love how you stat boys take stats and twist them to your favor. You actually used stats to compare peyton manning and matt schaub, are you serious? Stop!

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Honestly you should be banned or publicly flogged. I remember pages and pages of personally telling you Schaub blows. Your "crazy energy" to fight how good Schaub is to dozens of other people doesn't mean you won.

1 person likes this.
  20. dragician

dragician Member

Kubiak is unhappy with Schaub's stupid mistakes.