1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub unhappy with Kubiak’s decision but accepts demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Major

Major Member

Well that's certainly true - but until you ditch him, your job is to do everything possible to maximize his productivity. There were many games where he was neither ditching him or trying to get him out of his bad habits. There are plenty of plays where all the receivers go downfield to some extent or other.

The safety valves are there for a purpose. If the QB is not using them for the intended purpose, you change the playcalling. If he keeps throwing an out route to the flat when you don't want him to, stop calling plays with a receiver there.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Would be a dream scenario. Canon arm....who can run! :eek:

3. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Texans suck so ****ing bad without Cushing. Let's hope Keenum shows some solid and consistent play the remainder of the season... the only silver lining

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So… throw out the baby with the bath water? This makes no sense to me. If your RB is constantly missing the hole and averaging 2.0 YPC, would you recommend changing the blocking to accommodate him, or look for a new RB?

Again, plays aren’t designed to gain 5 yards; at the same time, you can’t have every receiver running 10+-yard routes – your QB would get clobbered with the defense sagging back and long-developing plays.

I think fear is the greatest detriment to any football player; once they have it… I’m not sure it can be corrected. Schaub is afraid – afraid to get hit, afraid to make a mistake… whatever: he’s afraid. You might be able to temporarily put a band-aid on it, but at some point, you have to trust your players to properly execute and maximize their opportunities by taking the kid gloves off. Schaub has repeatedly shown he was incapable of overcoming his fear. Time to move on. Keenum has already proven better QB execution makes this offense run much better.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Canon arm?

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would like to thank all of the fans at the game who cheered Schaub when he got hurt. I have a feeling without that Schaub might be starting this week.

7. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

We already have a guy. His name is Case Keenum.

8. Major

Major Member

I'd recommend looking for a new RB. But if the RB isn't changing, then yeah, you change the blocking scheme. Or you stop running that play. The goal is success - repeatedly running a play that isn't going to work just because you think it should work in a theoretical world is silly.

You don't have to do it every play. But you mix more of those in where possible to get him out of a routine of making the stupid play. If it's 3rd and 10, don't give him a 3 yard option if you know he's going to take it. Force him to make a throw deeper or get sacked. 3 yards does nothing for you.

Absolutely. If Kubiak had already determined it wasn't fixable, then he was stupid for not benching him. If Kubiak thought it was fixable, he should have tried to fix it instead of running the same things and just hoping it fixed itself.

I don't have a problem with the benching - I have repeatedly said the last few years that the team should be actively exploring other options at QB. I have a problem with the time period before the benching.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is really all that he ever was: review the draft reports. That is what they predicted. He has had some good games, but overall, he always seemed a bit over his head. Kennum in KC seemed more confident in his first ever start than Schaub has ever seemed. That is incredibly ironic.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

SOLID gold post. I approve.

Keenum looked so poised out there against the Chiefs, the whole game I kept on forgetting that it was his first ever start, and first ever reg season game. :cool:

Oh boy... I really hope we beat the Colts. Because I think that'll seal the deal for Keenums job... or is it already sealed and Schaub is indirectly outta the works already and Kubes just doesn't want to say it yet? :confused:

11. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

people act like its the recent injury.

his arm is shot. i don't get it, its been shot since last season.

i had faith after san diego, but it was fool's gold

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I lost faith in 2009.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Pure revisionist history. He never looked poised throwing for 4,900 yards? Or routinely hanging 30 over a pretty remarkable 16-game stretch in which he was 15-1 as a starter? Recently, of course, I agree - he has looked shell-shocked and afraid and Keenum was absolutely a breath of fresh air. But ever?

Look, no one is defending Schaub; he has thoroughly earned his benching, and I have no interest in seeing him ever throw another pass for the Texans. But this idea his career here was some continuous implosion of terrible is just not factual. Stop doing this to try and build up your guy – if Keenum is really as good as you dream every night on your hope pillow, you won’t need to denigrate Schaub to make him look better.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Ah No

15. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

and that's not hating, i don't feel bad he has had a full career with the salary to mactch. i was sad about Dream, and that's it. i had more love for other players, but dream was rare, and i was sad for him and me.

never saw earl in his prime to the point of remembering. i wish i had.

it is what it is

16. Raven

Raven Member

He's rich, he'll be fine. And he'll get to be some team's backup for a couple of years before he gets cut, then comes the waiting game and the slow realization that no team is going to call him. Then he moves on with his life, content with his wealth, family, and the knowledge that he was a decent NFL QB for almost a decade, which should be more than enough for anyone. He will live the good life, the rest of his life, so don't feel sorry for him.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Well if the schaub era is really over this team will sorely miss his enthusiasm. (Sarcasm)

18. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Saw this on facebook, too good.
    [​IMG]

19. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

We need less aggies on this team, not more. These guys could **** up a ham sandwich, im not even kidding. Dumbest people on the planet go to AM.

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Isn't his arm so much as it is the Lisfranc injury he suffered previously. The foot gets worse as the season goes on and so does his arm strength and accuracy.