1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub unhappy with Kubiak’s decision but accepts demotion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

thanks for the jinx *******

2. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Gonna need 13 ;)

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Schaub's heyday with Texans appears over

4. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

And what did Matt say or do that leads you to believe he does not accept the coach's decision:confused:

Did he not show up to practice as the backup?

5. Major

Major Member

I think he's saying Schaub has no choice but to accept the coach's decision, so there's no particular reason to praise him for doing so. It's not like Schaub could say "no, I'm going to start anyway."

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wait, no one told me that Schaub wouldn't approve of this. Maybe Kubiak should rethink his plan.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ironically I like him as a backup QB.

DD

10. Nook

Nook Member

Matt: "Coach, Case told me that you said he is starting Sunday. So then I talked to TJ and he said you said he is starting against the Colts. Coach I am really confused you said I am starting. Then some old guy named Cody Carlson is saying you said he is starting"

Kubiak:"Well you know Matt I didn't really say start to Case or TJ... I said play... they have to battle..... gotta go, have lunch with the White Chocolate Mafia"

McNair: "Ready to hit Jimmy Johns for a mayonaise sandwich?"

Wade: "Lets go, the line for Jimmy John's is going to be long... waiting on you Kubes!"

Matt:"Coach?"

Kubiak: "Got ham on white bread waiting on me... Matt, just battle fight and if you need to pee make sure you bring your bathroom buddy with you."
    Matt:

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Interesting perspective. I've never considered that angle.

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

WELCOME TO HOUSTON!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. Nook

Nook Member

In all seriousness..... I have NOTHING against Matt as a man. By all accounts he works very hard, is a good teammate, good father, good husband and a good citizen. Matt wants to perform well, it just hasn't happened..... and as Matt said, he is part of the reason the Texans are terrible this season.

Having said that, he does not need to be under center for the Texans again.... maybe he, Kubiak and Smith can share the same UHAUL truck.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Still having concerns with small scrambling QBs. Can these type of players stay healthy?

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's posts like this...

Keenum, who played the entire game in shotgun, averaged 10.8 yards/attempt - the playbook is wiiiiide open; they unfortunately had a QB who was not looking downfield, choosing short, safe passes because he was overwhelmed and/or his confidence was beaten into a bloody pulp.

If your QB throws 25 times, averages 10.8 y/a and doesn't turn it over... you're going to win *a lot* of football games (assuming your defense is halfway decent).

16. Major

Major Member

Is there any evidence they get injured any more than big, less-mobile QBs? We have all sorts of those that are seriously injured this season - Bradford, Gabbert, Sanchez, Ponder, Foles, Cutler, Hoyer, Locker.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Ohh no, not so fast.

This is not all on Shaub, a lot of this is on Kubiak as well. Kubiak doesn't allow for any audibles, and calls a majority of the plays.

18. Hey Now!

It's entirely on Schaub. Keenum averaged **4 more yards per pass attempt** than Matt has this year. Granted, it's a ridiculously small sample size - but it's proof (unless everyone is under the mistaken impression Kubiak ripped up his playbook and designed a new offense in four days for Keenum) that this offense is designed to attack downfield. It always has been. In his prime, Schaub was routinely a league leader in Y/A.

But he no longer looks more than 5 yards away from the line of scrimmage because he’s afraid to get hit and/or make throws that will hurt the team. He’s mental Skittles right now.

And Texan QBs *do* audible; I'm so tired of this false narrative. Every route has a primary receiver. The QB can switch primaries based on how he reads the defense. He doesn't full-on switch plays - but switching receivers is, absolutely, positively an audible. Outright switching plays is trickier because of personnel - when you switch-up personnel as much as Kubiak, it's harder to switch plays. He uses so many different sets.

19. Major

Major Member

To be fair, there are options for Kubiak to help Schaub overcome that habit. For example, run plays where there isn't a receiver 3 yards down the field. Or on 3rd and 10, run plays where all the receivers go at least 10 yards. Not saying it would work, but there are ways for Kubiak to help the QB unlearn bad habits.

20. Hey Now!

Every QB has a short yardage “out,” a safer, likely uncovered route to turn to in case the routes downfield don’t open up, or to account for a blitz in which the play is unexpectedly trashed.

I promise you: Kubiak has receivers running 8-15-yard routes on nearly every pass play. Unfortunately, for Schaub, the safe “out” had become his primary because, for whatever reason – nerves, fear – his internal clock had sped up. He wasn't allowing plays to develop. Again, we have empirical, albeit small, evidence with Keenum’s performance. More 20+-yard plays, greater Y/A, not to mention the tried-and-true eye test – the offense just looked more dynamic. Or, closer to what it looked like in 2009-2010.

You don’t change your scheme to accommodate a shell-shocked QB; you ditch the shell-shocked QB. He did this with Carr (who’s Y/A in ’06 looks eerily similar to Schaub’s this year) and let’s hope he’s done it with Schaub.