1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SC Teacher Who Stomped Flag Gets $85,000 Payment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, May 7, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sc-teacher-stomped-flag-85000-payment-19123476

A South Carolina high school teacher removed from the classroom when he stomped on an American flag while discussing freedom is being paid $85,000 to avoid a legal challenge.

The State newspaper (http://bit.ly/13eJez6) obtained documents under the Freedom of Information Act that show Chapin High School teacher Scott Compton is being paid the settlement by Lexington-Richland District 5, in addition to his salary through June 7.

Compton resigned as part of the settlement after criticism about his actions last December. The documents also show that the school district will pay attorney fees of nearly $32,000 for Compton.

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Good for him. Hope the kids found out too.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It annoys me that employers who happen to be government entities can't fire people for stuff any private employer can fire people for without even thinking twice. I don't have any problem with him stomping on a flag, but if he did that as an employee of BestBuy and got fired for it, the conversation would be about what a dumbass he is for doing that at work, not his freedom of speech.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Wait, he was suspended for discussing freedom and freedom of speech and presumably demonstrated it by stomping on a flag?

Looks like freedom won here.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You don't want to know how much teachers would command in a private setting. It's sick how little they are paid.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

IDK, teacher in my district makes the same amount as me given my level of education and experience, and they work less.

My private school teachers make slightly more than my public school teachers on average, but receive better benefits.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Define work less

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kinda torn over this one. On one hand, being fairly liberal, I'm glad he won the money. He shouldn't have been removed from the classroom.

On the other hand, maybe it's being ex-military stationed in Italy, when we'd raise the flags (U.S., Italian, and NATO) at sunrise and lower the flags at sunset, and you never let the flags (especially the U.S. flag) touch the ground....BIG no-no...

I guess if I saw someone, for example, burning the U.S. flag, I'd be the one standing to the side shaking my head, thinking, "Well, it's his right to free speech, but if someone stomps a mudhole in his culo, I'll testify on his behalf at the assault trial, but at that trial I'll say, 'Your Honor, may I add for the record that I think the defendant is a dumbass?'"

9. MexAmercnMoose

spring break, summer break, thanksgiving break, christmas break...

10. juicystream

190 days at 8 hours per day = 1,520 hours. That is the minimum, plenty will spend several more hours planning and grading, but not required.

Compare to our minimum of 2,200 hours per year.

Teachers are underpaid in some places due to a high cost of living. Some teachers are underpaid because they go well above and beyond.

It does suck that the big bucks are in the administration, rather than teaching, but that is pretty true in other walks of life as well.

11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I will refer you to my posts here and here (as well as this) as to why this statement is completely ridiculous.

12. juicystream

All of that would be unusual for my district. It is 190 days (which is 2 weeks more than students). Teachers generally work 7-4 or less, but I don't know the requirement. I know my sons' elementary teachers have both worked 8-4, and when I was in HS, most teachers were gone by 3:15 (school was 7:45 - 2:45).

Teacher's minimum salary = $33,604 (Without their teaching certificate)
    Teacher's maximum salary = $77,937 (Requires doctorate)

Adjusted to a 260 working day calendar:

Minimum = $46,033
    Maximum = $106,763

Teachers can make more by teaching additional classes, or for taking on roles in extracurricular activities.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think I missed a logical step here -- what does it matter how much teachers are paid? Is the argument that he's paid so little, he should be compensated with in-kind benefits like flag-stomping? I know this line of discussion came out of my first response, but I don't understand it at all.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not required lol

One of my neighbors teaches kindergarten in Katy, she's routinely at school 11-12 hours a day and shows up weekends to prepare her classroom with materials she pays for out of pocket. That may not be the norm but its a hell of a lot more than 8 hours and you're done.

15. juicystream

But it can be 8 hours (or less) and you're done.

16. juicystream

It doesn't. It is a thread derail.

Edit: Maybe it has something to do with job security in the initial salary post.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That flag represents freedom, freedom that this moron used
    to stomp on the flag.....only in THE U.S.A. :(

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Except that that isn't how it is, and you have seemingly endless lesson planning, paper grading, and so on, and so on, etc.. These are things that you do at home. Yes, teachers actually have to do that ****. They don't simply punch in and punch out everyday. I'm not sure how you got that idea. While I'm not a teacher myself, several members of my family are or were. They all work(ed) their arses off.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on your contract I guess. The teachers in our district are required to spend additional time in preparation and planning in addition to the hours at school. It's obligated by the contract.

20. juicystream

Maybe so. I get my information from teachers I know personally, and what I've seen as a student and parent. I can tell you the amount of effort put forth by teachers varies by a wide margin.

In the professional world, seldom does your job stop when you go home, but generally not required.

Edit: You do understand that everyone doesn't do the minimum, correct?