1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SB Nation: The Rockets’ title window might really be closed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 11, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

Who knows. Let’s see how this free agency class shakes up.

It gives my kidney stones to say it but we are the Mavs pre-championship right now. A great team that can’t win it.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Anyone can flip the switch for 5 quarters. Can they do it for 82 games and the entire postseason? The Warriors essentially took the whole regular season off and still coasted to 57 wins. They coughed up a 35-point home loss to the Mavs without Luka. They lost at Oracle to the freaking Suns! Hell, the Rockets won both regular season games there without CP3 and EG the first time and Harden the second time.

The Warriors ain't winning 55+ games next season without Durant, Boogie, and (possibly) Looney unless they play their asses off every night and even then that could be a tall order given how stacked the West is every year. They won't be the same team next year.

Hmc415 likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

This. Losing Durant gave an already mentally tough GSW team a mental edge.

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, I don’t see it. They needed to win this year. My guess is a slow decline culminating with the lottery in two years then a couple year rebuild. They had their chances. It happens!

5. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

I really hope this is how it plays out. It will keep our window open in contending for championship with current roster and some addidtional pieces. I think that team without KD is still very good. as we just saw, but very beatable in 7 game series.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Exactly, that's pretty much what happened. Kerr hanging Durant's jersey up in the lockerroom, talking about how they were giants, talking about how everyone underestimated them and forgot about what they were before Durant...they amped themselves up for this game and moment.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. count_dough-ku

Every game in this series was decided by 6 points or less. The first time that's ever happened BTW in a 6-game series in NBA history. So it could've easily gone either way. Sure, that also means the Rockets could've been swept. But I just look at this Warriors team as a dynasty that's on its last legs. They'll still be a contender next season, but not the favorite for the title.

The worst thing to do would be to panic and completely remake the roster because of what just happened. We know we can compete with the Nuggets. We can beat the Spurs. We own the Jazz. We can hold our own against the Blazers, and they'll be worse next year. OKC is a bad matchup, but they're in deep trouble with their tax situation and Westbrook starting to decline. The Clippers are a wild card depending on who they sign. Same with the Lakers. But that's it as far as the West is concerned. Sure, the East is looking tougher, but you cross that bridge when you get to the Finals.

The key for the Rockets is to have some roster continuity going into next year(as much as the cap situation allows anyway), possibly get a better coach, and be ready to roll in October. You wanna know where they lost this series against the Warriors? It was when they got off to an 11-14 start in the regular season and wore Harden out just to eek out 53 wins and get home court in Round 1. Win just 4 more games and they would've been the #1 seed again with a much easier path through the playoffs.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Anyone? Obviously the rockets can’t. You’re assuming all this will happen with GS when they’ve proven the exact opposite. All the while, assuming the rockets will just turn it all around. Based on what? They were literally spoon fed a chance in 2 games. We’re now in year 5 of this gs era. With this team it’s done

The only thing I’m hoping for is an elite player coming next year. Other than that this rockets team has no shot at a ship.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Fxxk SB nation. They are consuming us on our wounds.
    Yeah yeah, like anything new?

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Good idea just swap players with OKC? That solves the problem. :D

11. count_dough-ku

For a game and a quarter, yes. Any team can play their asses off. Even crappy teams. It happens all the time after a coach gets fired. They go on a run for a few games before reality sets back in.

The Rockets were outplayed in the 4th quarter of Game 5 and the first half of Game 6(they started trying in the 2nd half, but it was too late by then). I'm not excusing that, but that's essentially what won the Warriors Games 5 and 6. Careless turnovers and offensive rebounds.

I'm not saying the Rockets will "just turn it all around". I do think changes need to be made. First and foremost with the head coach. Part of the reason they're getting outplayed is they're not getting any direction from the sidelines. They also need to be better prepared for the start of the regular season. The 11-14 record at the beginning of this season was inexcusable. Being unmotivated in games like the one at home against the Pelicans who were sitting everyone but Holiday cost them the 2nd seed(and possibly the 1st). But there's plenty of talent on this roster. I don't think wholesale changes are needed in terms of the players.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

If George is one of the players, why not? Capela/Gordon+as many picks as necessary for George/Noel works. Lets OKC cut 3.5 million, blows up the team, but rationally, they should want to, right? Gordon's an expiring next year, which will let them shed even more cash. Let Noel or Hart play the 5. Harden/CP3/George is pretty damned good.

Hamfisted, but I'd think an unreined-in Morey could do much better.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

OKC will not take our trash and give us PG.
    ll

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i think the coach will be the first change because someone is going to have to take the fall for this to begin with. the problem is who is coming that is going to be any better. that doesn't fix the issues.

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If the windows closed,
    It’s time to open the flood gates....Hinkie style.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

of course it’s closed as long as this team only has 1 star...CP3 will be even worse next year, and this season was already his worst since his rookie year

Harden plus a bunch of inconsistent/limited/can’t be counted on role players will NEVER win a title

if Morey doesn’t bring in a star, then you already know how next year will go...50+ wins, and a 2nd round or maybe WCF exit depending on matchups...at that point, Harden should really demand a trade to go play with a Big 3 somewhere or he’s a damn fool...u can’t spend the rest of your prime putting up insane regular season numbers while not being able to do enough to carry your team to a title as the only star on the roster

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

They're hardly trash, but the point is, teams like OKC have to do something next year. They cannot stand pat and pay what would be a gargantuan tax bill, if all that happens is they get wiped in the first round. Maybe their leadership is that masochistic, I dunno?

Take advantage of teams that are in financial dire straits. Get better, more expensive players. Like dough-ku, I'm in favor of replacing the coach. At that point, the Rockets still have one of the two best players in the NBA, in his prime for at least one more year. Get him a teensy bit more help---preferably someone with some killer instinct---damn the cost, and see what happens.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

Last night's loss should be a big warning sign, it's as clear as it's going to get as far as how this team is currently constructed.

#38 Marteen, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

So now we’re responding without actually reading the article?

20. Homey the Clown

Yeah there are a few teams out West now that will probably be better than they were this year. The Warriors will no longer be the only threats to the Rockets going forward. People keep sleeping on Denver.

tycoonchip likes this.