1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] Eric Gordon is the other irreplaceable Houston Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 6, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I always liked Eric, he's the only reason why i was able to digest the Ryan Anderson signing, but i'd still take Butler with no second thoughts because he's overall more talented, younger, more consistent...the contract argument is a fair point, but aside the fact that it's not my money, Gordon will expire next season, we don't know if he's going to resign, how much money he wants and how much money other teams will offer him.

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The odds of Eric Gordon getting $20M a year at this stage in his career is zero.

3. SemisolidSnake

I know Gordon can shoot like crazy when he's on and occasionally has some impressive moves to the basket (as well as some very not impressive ones at bad times). I did not realize how good a defender he's been. I will gladly up my opinion of him as a whole.

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He will be 32 next year...and this level of play and not being injured...we can easily get a 2/3 year deal in area of $18-$20 mil.

EASILY.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's early but there was a Gordon thread with him stating he could be retiring here..........

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/22/eric-gordon-prefers-to-retire-in-houston/

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i remember that, but he also refused to sign an extension worth around 17M per year few months ago so, i don't know, and that's another big reason why i would trade him in that scenario eventually, if you have no guarantee on what kind of contract he's going to ask/get, let alone if he wants to stay, if you have the chance to get an all star caliber player in return, i'm not sure you can pass the opportunity, especially since Chris is obviously getting less good as the time goes by.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

Hey! At least in this series. I love Capela and CP3, but definitely think PJ Tucker and Gordan have been more valuable to us this series.

If PJ and Gordan keep their play up, AND Capela/CP3 step it up, then we are gonna win this series.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I would love to agree with you, and on paper i actually do, but you just never know...Millsap got a 90M x3 year deal when he was 32. Sure, third season is a team option and at the time Millsap was almost an all star, but the cap was also not as high as it's going to be in 2020 so, i wouldn't really bet against Gordon getting a contract around 20M per season or more, especially cause an above average two way SG/SF is pretty rare and rather useful in today's nba.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Gordy tough, man.

10. jowman

jowman Member

Too small. Check our wingspan versus warriors death lineup wingspans. We will get crushed on boards using this as our main lineup. Can employ this but not as the main lineup.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, but IMHO the team has to sign/trade for someone like Pascal Siakam type and not Short Arms Jimmy.

With Ariza gone, one aspect is the length on the team has taken a hit, more pressure is on PJ, if PJ gets injured, D is about to be as good as gone on the wing mostly.

You have to take someone who can improve further and still be a force now.

If you dun go with EGo.

Philly took on Butler because they got enough length.

Embiid, Harris, Simmons are freakishly long.

(I know. That is wat she said.)

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He has been absolutely amazing, guarding Mitchell/Curry/Thompson regularly while being a reliable scorer. We can't count on him to keep this up too long, I hope his teammates (ahem Chris Paul) have his back.

It would be excellent if he can continue playing so well.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with this, i actually think getting younger and more long/athletic should be a priority for us, whether we get a third star or not. Would love to get Siakam, also cause he's on a small salary and a trade wouldn't require us to move Gordon, the problem is i don't see the Raptors moving him even if they lose Kawhi and go for a full rebuild, even though you never know.