1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say Bye-Bye to the Big(ger) Cities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 7, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

the cashed up chinese. they're buying up homes in the us, australia, and europe.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Or that Austin is only $1k less than NYC? Yeah...no.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I know about rich Chinese buying up properties, but are they buying up that much properties to drastically change the home prices in NY, LA, SF?

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

wat?

Houston's annexations were to stop the growth of the smaller communities competing, (early on to specifically slow down Pasadena and Galena Park from growing while the annex doubled the size of Houston) and to increase the tax base.

Other more recent annexes were Clear Lake, Kingwood and the Woodlands, all three were successful communities that fought vigorously against being annexed, with the Woodlands winning their fight.

And for the inside the loopers, the Heights was first incorporated community annexed by Houston. So you live in the burb's.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

He said you couldn't purchase a home in the city for under $200k, that just isn't true unless "in the city" means "inside the loop."

A search of today's homes for sale in my subdivision resulted in 6 homes, ranging in price from $138k to $164k. Saying you can't get a home in Houston for under $200k is wildly inaccurate.

6. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, my address is in Houston and I vote for the Houston city council.

There might be some who don't consider where I live Houston, but they would be wrong by every available metric.

Just searched HAR for my ZIP code and there are 67 homes for sale right now under $200k. Your assumption is incorrect.

7. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Great. I am just saying it is just a formality that a lot of homes, most of the ones driving the price down, are a part of "Houston".

Honestly I could care less if the price was lower or higher in this study. At my work we have people moving here from all over the country. Our office is in uptown and when these people are looking for a place to live they come to realize that unless you have ~$500k AT LEAST you are going to have to rent, live in the suburbs, or live in an undesirable part in the city.

8. Joshfast

Supporting Member

I know you say you live here - but have you been to Houston?

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Where is a Houston?:confused::confused:

10. GladiatoRowdy

Wait, the most desirable parts of the city cost more to live in? No freaking way.

:rolleyes:

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Of course and this is why I am saying the number is misleading.

"200k, looks like I am set for Houston! It'll be in a master planned community 30-45 minutes away from work and everything to do, BUT I can still say I live in Houston!"

12. GladiatoRowdy

I'm 25 minutes door-to-door on my commute and only infrequently have to travel longer than 10 to get to anything that I want "to do."

And there are many communities like mine around Houston, it isn't like Clear Lake is the only Houston address which allows for affordable housing.

You're wrong and just won't admit it.

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

You are right, Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, 3rd-5th ward, Greenspoint, Gulfton, Glennbrook, are all affordable.

14. downbytheriver

It is a highly skewed infographic, but keep in mind NYC doesnt just include Manhattan, Brooklyn and LI... also Harlem, and several highly populated areas of low income.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Only to people who don't understand the word median.

16. GladiatoRowdy

Pasadena, Deer Park, and La Porte are not "Houston."

You left out all of the desirable places which ARE in the city of Houston in your attempt to prove your point, an attempt which flopped worse than Dirk.

17. Joshfast

Supporting Member

I get it, I get it. You think you have money. I just wanted to correct your weird annexation post from earlier.

You didn't happen to be born in Dallas and lease a BMW 3 series would you?

18. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I do well enough for myself.

And I was born and raised in Houston.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Are you guys really arguing what is and is not Houston?

20. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Of course. Some people just can't accept they are 281ers.