1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Savage Should Be Our Main QB This Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DJboutit, Aug 23, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Savage?
    [​IMG]

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not the best quality

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WLseTC9x87g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BOB looked fired up about Savage

1 person likes this.
  3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Not ready to say Savage should start, but his progress from last week to this was pretty damn impressive. Shouldn't be too surprising though: he's got a reputation for being a smart QB. I think the Texans got a steal with him.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Actually watching the highlights Savage's play was not all that impressive. Every pass was to his 1st throwing option on the same side of the field with no pressure. He made the correct throws accurately which is what he needed to do. Once he gets more time under his belt I would like to see how well he can go through progressions, handle the blitz, and face more complex defensive schemes.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Savage looked pretty good, but he was playing in garbage time. 2nd and 3rd stringers against other 2nd and 3rd stringers. If preseason games mean nothing, then garbage time in the preseason really means nothing.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

His TD pass was RIGHT where it needed to be. It wasn't an incredibly difficult pass to make, but it was still a great pass.

At least it's something to watch and hope for....

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not white understanding the hate on Fitz. I think he's done reasonably well and should get better as he gets more comfortable in the offense and gets more work with AJ.

If there's a qb that should be worried about his job, it's Keenum. He's been terrible. I think he needs to show a lot better next week or he could be on the verge of getting cut.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why's it always have to be a racial thing, leroy?

;)

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Any positive reinforcement at this point is going to take us a long way. It's fun rooting for a guy who looks like Nicholas Cage!

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hope to see Savage play a whole half next week. I'd like to see him play with less of the croods, and more quality players. It seems like every time he comes in the game, he's gone in sixty seconds. I mean, he's got a pretty good gun for an arm. Maybe not quite a 9, but at least an 8mm. And with BOB being such a family man, I can see him giving Savage the rock a little bit this season. While it may not be good to start him right away, I don't want him to be a ghost rider, either. I do understand that BOB has to be cautious though, because if he's thrown to the wolves too early, Savage could end up moonstruck, and it could be the kiss of death for him. Whatever happens, I trust in O'Brien, and I think he will manage or boy in blue just fine.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

6. Just put in x because at least when they're in we have a chance to do something

#32 Mr. Clutch, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a real life movie staring Tom Savage and Tom Brady in Face Off. :)

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

We got a glimpse of what he is capable of last night, but OB will not throw him off the deep end.
    Savage will get a lot of reps next week against 49er's and hopefully some with the firsts.
    He will almost definitely get garbage time this season and hopefully sooner than later so that a better evaluation can be made.
    Texans will need to know if they need to draft a QB with their first.

15. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

He has great courage and hangs tough in the pocket like a true pocket passer showing that is his disposition.
    For someone so raw, he is showing great progress.
    OB seems to be doing a good job on him so it will be interesting to see how he handles him in future games.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

12 months ago all our QB's looked great in the preseason.

17. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I don't want to get too high on Savage, let's wait to see what he does in the 4th game. However, from the limited snaps he played tonight, he looked a lot better than Case. I wanted Case to succeed and be the franchise QB for this team for years to come, but I just don't think he has "it." If the Texans cut him, and no other team picks him up maybe they can put him on the practice squad.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

You're an idiot for judging the player for his pre- season performance and played a 3rd string defense. I agree Savage has potential but having a good drive and solid performance doesn't mean he is ready to start. The next time he makes a bad play I don't want you to be the first person to bash the guy. Pathetic bandwagon fan.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give the guy some time. But so far he has shown some glimpses. The most impressive thing to me is that with how little he played in college he the game doesn't seem to be too fast for him. Sure he's made mistakes but it's impressive that he's done as well as he has.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

True. There was a lot of talk about possibly flipping Yates or Keenum for a 2nd-4th round pick. Some thought we had 3 legit starters on the team when in reality we had none.

Anybody remember that first TD pass from Yates to Hopkins last preseason? It sure was great but it didn't really mean much, did it?

Last preseason, our QBs were a combined 106-155 (68%), 1,238 yards (309.5 ypg; 8 ypa), 8 TD, 1 INT.

#40 Cannonball, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014