1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Heard the actual logistics of implementing EPIC wasn't great and was pretty disorganized, sourced from some MD Anderson redditors on r/houston.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There is a transition period, so I get that, its an EMR system that catalogues everything and pretty much allows everything. Its also a **** load of money. I hated it when I first used it, but it ultimately leads to better care due to having a walking patient everytime you open a record. Communication and orders are also better relayed. Medication errors etc are avoided because the system won't allow you to do it. I've used Vista as well at the V.A and while it is much simpler and organized it is a pain in the ass.

Ubiquitin and RedRedemption like this.
  3. Exiled

Exiled Member

between [oasis,indofault,volte ,chartmax,labnews, softpath,Echo .....,] it take one hour minimum per new patient

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

EPIC is the 90s Microsoft of EMRs. Very aggressive sales tactics and overpriced. It is not the least user friendly EMR/CPOE (that honor goes to meditech), but I could see how your billing goes to hell if the docs don't use it the way the folks in Madison want them to use it. A place like MD Anderson should have been able to have Epic support staff on site for at least a month to make sure everyone is doing the right thing. Yet here we are, and they are now cutting jobs because of lost income. I suspect a lot of them are legacy staff, though. But legacy staff are usually older, have no skills in today's economy, and will likely be unemployed long term.

Sajan and Exiled like this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't understand why so many hospitals are using 30 year old software sold by a dictator lady.

Sajan and Ubiquitin like this.
  6. Exiled

Exiled Member

I agree completely .quite frankly, this could be said too about MDAnderson clustered business model and marketing. for the lost jobs ,the're going to be replaced mainly by volunteers ,the projected initial price tag will be doubled by the end of the transitional period like also most hospitals,extra licence fee-software,renewal,update and hidden costs) , the end result might be like the one I'm working at: each floor has their own unique systems

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well MD Anderson is pretty disorganized in general, so that makes sense......

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if those implementation costs include the costs from the other systems they began implementing before pulling the plug and then finally ending up with Epic.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Doctors hate Epic because of insane amount of charting.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

MD anderson is bloated in terms of employees. They had an EMR they custom built that catered to the whiny clinicians there. Then they went and bought the more rigid and expensive software out there so they don't feel left out (all other hospitals in houston except memorial have epic).
    to compound the issue the training was non existent for crucial things like how to bill and close visits. they tried to make epic into how their old EMR was.

add in the change in insurance stuff relating to obamacare (like blue cross dropping coverage) + expensive EHR + poor training + lack of accountability on the providers side...and u get a giant deficit.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...e-leaves-cancer-patient-in-limbo-10422774.php

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What does Memorial Hermann use?

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You have to click a 1000 buttons to order one stupid test. Other than that, I stand behind its better for pts...maybe not us but we're in it for the patients in case some forget.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, EMRs are designed for insurance companies (faster billings) and public health types (population health information). But for Doctors, Nurses, Labs, etc it's just a one size fits none process that is more complicated and slower than the paper charts that came before it (and I hated paper charts). Epic not even that hard to learn, it's just not making patient care any more efficient with the sole exception of being a silo of information that every provider can view. But if no one actually puts their notes in a timely fashion or decides to auto-populate them with useless crap, even more time is wasted searching the patient record.

The real question for MD Anderson: Is this a one off, or is the cancer giant in trouble?

Exiled and Sajan like this.
  14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not sure about the financial stuff, but the doctors and staff at MD Anderson are AMAZING. A couple of years ago I spent way more time there than I would've liked, but they did their thing.

**** cancer.

MadMax and London'sBurning like this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

It essentially is a glorified billing platform. Every conversation somehow ends with how are we going to bill ungodly amount of money from the patients?

Exiled likes this.
  16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Their strength is clinical trials,aside from Philly ,this should remains intact for the future.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

a fraction in comparison to school head coach:
    Jim Harbaugh,Michigan 9million$.

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I came in this thread expecting to read a continued discussion on oil not software used by doctors....

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Maybe this thread should be changed to a Houston Economy thread. Energy and Healthcare are pretty much all we have here. So based on the comments here it sounds like MD Anderson just mismanaged everything but the shot callers are getting bonuses and the workers are getting fired for cost cutting measures. :(