1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

:grin:

2. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

this thread is annoying to follow.. someone make a summary statement for me pls

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

A cousin works for Aramco. I asked him the same question. Saudi Arabia can tolerate $50/bbl or even $12/bbl for several months, however American producers cannot. US energy independence is against Saudi interests, and they don't want to repeat the mistakes of being nice and honest like they did in 1982, and the rest of OPEC maintained production.

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Oil prices need to be a certain number for Houston's economy to thrive and boom. Until the last year, prices were above that number so Houston flourished. However, oil prices have decreased below that optimal number so Houston companies are not happy. In order for prices to go back up, major oil producers like Saudi Arabia need to decrease how much oil they make.

At a meeting yesterday, Saudi Arabia said it would not decrease how much it produced. Thus, prices will not go back above the optimal number since Saudi production wasn't cut. Therefore, Houston companies are unhappy. That will impact our local economy. The question, how bad will it hurt?

5. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I don't know. It may hurt Houston a little but it may help the economy as a whole. Increased oil prices have caused the price to do business to increase. Now that prices are lower, companies can afford to lower prices and that should help consumer savings. Just my thought. Potentially inaccurate

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

For what? Voicing my opinion? Did I come marching in like a had a economics degree? I didn't root for oil prices to fall I just said I didn't care. The boom has effected me negatively more than positively.

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Shut your pie hole you tree hugging hippie! Oil for life son

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What does tolerate mean? Throwing away 800 million a day is hard to tolerate. Smells like BS.

9. da1

da1 Member

If the end result is wiping out your competition it's worth it

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Lower the price to compete?

They are taking back a bigger market share to lower the price and decrease the profits of the American companies. Less profit means production will slow and slowly SA can turn back their output to bring the price back up.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Shut down your economy for months? I am gonna go out on a limb and say this doesn't happen.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Gas was $2.75 this morning :cool:

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

So much ignorance and panic in this thread it's frustrating. It costs about 6-8 million to drill, frac, and start producing a horizontal well in the Permian...typical output the first year is between 20-30 million a year; even though the production drops off greatly after that time, the revenue generated is 'well' worth it.

And even though nobody points it out...Saudi is 'talking about' dropping the price. Oooooo....they're talking folks!:rolleyes: It's funny how some possibly rumor article comes out and all the online experts come in to give us the facts on our current state of oil production.

15. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Reeko, as someone with experience in the oil industry, you should just leave this thread. You have no idea what you're talking about

16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Good! Lower oil prices may be bad for the oil producing companies but it's great for the economy. It's like a stimulus check to everyone that needs to drive. The money they save on gas, they can spend on something else.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Saudi Arabia is using the moment to steal the spot light. Rising production from Libya since the start of this summer is causing Brent prices to slide.

18. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Facepalm....

Yes, the money saved on gas will surely offset the loss of customers, patrons, orders, etc. from those who used to work for oil but have been laid off.

Surely.

Guys, if you (i) weren't born before 1985 or (ii) weren't in Houston before 1985, please leave this thread, mmmkay? TIA.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You do know that technology, society, engineering and tons of other things have advanced since 1985 right? RIGHT!?!

20. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I was also in the Silicon Valley during the solar bust. Were you?

Please leave the thread as many folks have asked of you. TIA.