1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sauces: Rockets interested in Mike Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jun 29, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

:rolleyes:

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

If Mike Conley is the only guy we sign, it's a good offseason!

We have no shot at Durant. Conley would be my top priority.

4. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I got it for you.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think if we sign Conley, we could become a lot more appealing to Whiteside, Horford or even Howard. Big men always apreciate a good PG. Sucks that Mavs have first meeting with him, we better be his second dammit.

6. FeaR

FeaR Member

To me, Horford seems the only realistic target. Conley will sign his five-year max contract and if Gasol injury is serious they can trade him mid-season.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not only can Horford can sign a 5 year deal too, he will have a much stronger pool of teams to pick from. There are very few playoff teams in the nba without a good PG, not only wil Horford appeal to all playoff teams who need a PF, but as well to all playoff teams who need a C as well.

So in all likelyness, volume wise, Conley will actually be the the least sought after big name, with Horford will be the MOST sought after big name (besides KD maybe).

I think, if Conley or Grizz pass on a 5 year deal, that the Rockets will be next in line for Conley.

8. FeaR

FeaR Member

Atlanta was trying to trade him at the trade deadline, right ? Will they offer him 5 years max ?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The prospect of Conley for the max just doesn't excite me at all, especially since Harden will still be our primary playmaker.

10. FeaR

FeaR Member

Yeah but even Augustin will command a large amount of money ?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I have no idea, I have seen reports that they will, and have seen reports saying they are reluctant.

The whole point of bringing in a good PG is to change that, make Harden the secondary ball handler, would lower his turnover rate, he couls play off ball some and get easier baskets with the proper offensive plays from MDA(which is the one thing he is good for, offensive plays amd a offensive system. Bringing in MDA, now is as good a time then ever to have Harden make that transotion in his game for the good of the team.

With that being said, Conley scores off ball really well too. If you watch his highlights in memphis, a lot of his buckets are from running of screens, cutting or spoting up. So he will fit well with Harden no matter which one of them is the primary ball handler, even if Conley isn't, he would still bring a much needed second playmaker to our roster, as well as his spot up 3pt shooting, his ability to create his own shot when we need it, good defense and leadership on the court.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry for typo's, I'm on my phone and didn't spell check lol

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

My sauces say the Rockets are going to trade Ariza, Brewer and a future 1st to Toronto for Lowry, then sign Durant and Horford to equal deals and Dwight is going to reup on a vet minimum contract. Sauces.

14. MistaK

MistaK Member

Now that's Sauces I can get behind!!!

15. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

we have no shot at conley either. he'll use other teams to get paid the absolute max from memphis and then he'll stay there. it's a business and he can force a trade later if he's really unhappy.

also i like conley and he was kinda underrated before. but i question if it's wise to pay the max to a 15 and 6 guy who is almost 29 years old and has no room to improve much. you also have to consider the fact that he has to have the ball in his hands and play a certain way to be effective. he's also not the greatest 3p shooter (a little better than average) and happens to fail to make them once the playoffs come around.

16. FeaR

FeaR Member

Yes but with same logic neither Horford deserves the max, nor whiteside etc. I don't believe we will sign any star player this offseason but we have to at least try. Offer the max and wait. I believe they will (re)-sign fast and we can sign a few role players.

17. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

you are absolutely right and i'm not a big fan of horford (mainly because of the money and his age) nor whiteside either.

it's kevin durant or bust for the rockets (because they really do lack this much talent). and unfortunately durant won't be coming.

now i know after last season rockets fans are desperate and changes are needed. all i'm saying is i wouldn't get my hopes up. there are not many players out there in this free agency that will make the rockets real contenders. almost all of them will stay where they are anyway. the few that leave have so many suitors. you'll have to basically overpay for every single one of them. and then after last season the chances of them choosing houston will still be very slim.

so i agree, sign good role players to reasonable contracts and then go from there.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free Agent Rumble: Memphis not only believes it'll keep Mike Conley but might try to sign Chandler Parsons away from the Conley-chasing Mavs</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/748497638060761088">June 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Whether or not the Grizz get far in a Parsons pursuit, they continue to believe they will hold off Dallas and all challengers to keep Conley</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/748498762721464320">June 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#38 J.R., Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since he is still under contract, could they offer him the 5th year max today and announce it if he accepts?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Could be wrong but I don't think so.