1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Satisfied with World Series?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rw7183, Oct 17, 2005.

1. rw7183

rw7183 Contributing Member

As fans, would you guys be satisfied with just making the World Series? Would you have the feeling that we'd be playing with house money if we made it? I know I'm nervous as heck watching these NLCS but I feel like a lot of the pressure will be off if we get to the WS. Thoughts?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I won't be satisfied...but honestly, I'd be awfully happy being NL Champs.

3. msn

msn Member

Heck yeah!!!! Are you kidding me?????

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i hate realizing it.. and obviously we all always want to win. But if we should make it to the WS, and if we should lose.. i know i'll still be happy knowing we got there. As long as we don't get embrassed like the Cards did last year (knock on wood)

5. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Won't be satisfied if they lose the WS. Will be happy that they finally made it, but won't be satisfied until they win the WS.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

If we lost the world series, I'd still be happy with the NL Pennant. This has been a long time coming for Bagwell and Biggio. Long time coming for all our fans. I would not be upset losing to the WhiteSox either. They are a good ball club and I don't hate them yet. We have been lucky to get this far. I do think we are the favorite to win given we have great pitchers and they have very good pitchers. But at this point it is all gravy. The cardinals were clearly the better team and we shut their ass down thru today.

I don't think ND fans are upset either. As long as you play to the end it's all good now. I was not upset when the Titans were defeated in the Superbowl either, because that was one hell of a last drive just to get within one yard. You just have to enjoy it once you get there. Maybe you win. Maybe you don't. The best team will always win.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I also want to add that the Atlanta game is the type of game that makes the rest gravy. That was the moment of the whole playoff and we got it. Those are the things you take away with you win or lose the big one.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The question is will the Astros be satisfied just getting there.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm nowhere near satisfied with a 3-1 lead on St. Louis. We need to eat some birds first. There should be a lot of satisfaction in just making it(if we do) but the real satisfaction will only come after you win the WS. What good is it just to make it and then come away with a sour taste in your mouth? I would hope that, with Pettitte and Clemens, that they could provide the leadership in the dugout that we need to still be as hungry as ever to get out of the WS with the overall win and not be happy just having made it. It seems kind of like what happened with St. Louis last year is they made it but didn't do squat once they got in.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i dont think the stros will be satisfied with just making it. they know they are playing for more than just the pennant with all the old guys on the team like bags and bidge. they know its the last chance for those guys and they aren't gonna just let this go. i will be very unhappy with just pennant.

12. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I know it's sports-pc to say but...

Yes. I'd be happy just to make it and to break down that barrier. The World Series is so historic, mythical, and magical. I love the Superbowl - it's 1 game. I love the NBA FINALS but seeing Spurs VRS Pistons doesn't put AWE in me. The World Series is saturated with magic and it's 4 games minimum...of magic.

To see the Astros play in that magical atmosphere would indeed be enough....for now! :D

13. rw7183

rw7183 Contributing Member

Great point DocRocket. The World Series is by far the most exciting event and it doesn't have to be overhyped like the super bowl.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I cant focus on that right now.

Just win one game...tonight would be nice.

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Yes, I would. To get to the WS after the way the year started would be icing on the cake. After we lost Beltran and Kent I thought we would be lucky to make the playoffs let alone get to the WS.

If they do get in I think they have a very good chance to win, but I dont want to put the cart before the horse yet and jinx it ;)

16. msn

msn Member

Exactly.

17. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I won't be. If Rocket is gone next season, it may take us another 40 years to get within this close to the title.

18. msn

msn Member

Not to be combative, but that's a scary thought for me when we don't even have pennant yet. Never is a long freaking time to not have pennant. It will be very, very sweet tonight if the Astros get pennant.

I love me some pennant.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

As for future WS, we have Roy Oswalt. I think he's good enough to get us in the playoffs by himself. Even after Roger Retires and Andy's Elbow goes. We'll be pretty decent. Most teams would kill for Oswalt, Berkman, Qualls, and Lidge. I think they alone get us to 80-85 wins. We should be in contention for quite some time.

20. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i'd be thrilled as hell to get there. i mean we've never done it before, but my theory is...if you get there you might as well win it. because you never know when you are going to get back.