1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Satellite OR Cable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lionheart, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

I'm a die hard Boston CEltics fan. But ever since Young Ming entered into the picture, I cant help it but falling in love with the Rockets. SO, here I am stuck in between 2 teams. Anyways, I'm gonna get cable or DirectTV just so I can watch the rockets game.
    Yao Ming seems like a very like-able kinda of a guy. The speech that he wrote addressing the public concerning his entrance to the NBA a couple of months ago, seemed to be very well thought out..Ming seems to be a humble person. Watching him adjust to a new culture, language and the NBA is gonna be a heck of a ride...Man oh Man .....cant wait...

I'm not from Houston but from Boston MA. Not familiar what channel the rockets games are on. SO, What should I get?

Cable? Satellite? Direct TV? Nba Inside Pass?.....

-Young Bostonian

2. Nero

Nero Member

DirecTV al the way, baybee!

3. Stylez

Stylez Member

Lionheart, I think you should go w/ satellite. I just moved from Houston to Miami and I'm getting a satellite installed today. I'm not sure but I don't think cable offers League Pass so satellite's the only way you can catch Rocket and Celtic games. Plus satellite is cheaper and you get more for your money. The only thing is that satellite signals tend to go out when it rains while cable isn't affected.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think you should wait to see if the cable provider in your area offers Digital Cable. With Digital Cable you can get all the different Sports Pay-Per-View packages like NBA League Pass, which allows you to see every single game during the NBA Season. Plus, you don't have to worry about buying a satellite dish, installing a satellite dish, cutting down trees if neccesary, getting a bad reception because of weather, etc. Digital cable is much more convenient. However, I'm not sure how the costs compare. For me, digital cable is about $59 monthly after all the fees and taxes, and a one year subscription to NBA League Pass is $160.

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

You can't get NFL Sunday Ticket with Digital Cable though. :)

6. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Nero- I heard DirectTV kinda sucks..one of my friends told the that the reception sucks when the weather is bad.

Stylez- What kind of a satellite system are you getting?

DCkid- the 59$ is just for the basic channels like TNT and ESPN and shiet like that...but man..160$ seems very pricy...I rather take the chance with "bad reception" satelitte than pay $160 beans a month...

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I have the DirectTV basic package. But I can't access the NBA.com TV channel (720). Do I need a NBA League Pass to watch it? Or I have to call the Direct TV to order each game which I want to watch? Someone please help.

#7 RocketForever, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Lionheart, it's not $160 per month... it's $160 total for the season+playoffs+just about every NBA game from every team. If you get it early, it's about $20 cheaper. This will be my 3rd. season with League Pass. Here in Austin, I think it's the way to go. JMO. :)

9. DCkid

whoops...I wasn't clear. Its $60 month for digital cable The $160 for NBA League Pass is a one time payment for the entire year. Kind of like a magazine subscription. So in actuality, that is only $13 per month for the league pass + $60 per month for the digital cable for a total of $73 per month.

10. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

OH I see....thanks for the clarification my friend...160 beans doesn't sound so bad now...

I dont have digital cable..I just bought a big screen 53" Sony TV...and its not digital ready..wouldnt sense to get digital cable now..is it possible to NBA PASS with just regualr cable?

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

12. DCkid

The cable company will give you a digital converter cable box to hook up to your TV, so your TV doesn't need to be digital ready...in fact, my TV isn't digital either. As far as I know, you can't get NBA Pass through regular cable.

13. RocketForever

Bob I am still confused. Is the NBA League Pass what I need to watch the NBA.com TV? If I just order the Sports Pack from Direct TV, will I be able to watch all the regular NBA games during the season or I still need to pay extra to buy the NBA League Pass? I am new to this Direct TV thing so I am kinda confused. Thanks for your help.

14. Stevie Francis

nbatv comes free with league pass, but i don't have the pass becasue its so pricey.

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The Sports Pack is all the Fox sports channels along with NBA TV. NBA TV is not NBA League Pass. You have to pay seperatly for the League Pass. NBA TV just shows highlights and scores.

16. RocketForever

yeah I can't afford the pass either...:(

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I'm with Warner Cable. I get basic Digital Cabel which includes the NBA .com at no extra charge.

18. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

I called Warner Cable, a couple of hours ago, and they told me that they do not offer NBA TV in Houston. Where do you live Yetti? :cool:

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

BobFinn is correct. you have to order the sports package of all the Southwest channels and then you get NBA channell for free. I think its an additional 10 bucks to whatever your monthly bill is.

20. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

go with direct tv and get you a descrambler :rolleyes: