1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sarah Palin claims minorities are 2nd class citizens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Still doesn't stop the ultimate bit of law breaking we all put up which is illegal search and seizure i.e. DWI checkpoints.

You just happen to be driving down the road run into a checkpoint. There you go, you been drinking tonight sir. No. You got papers? ..........

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

By 2050 whites will be the minority and then we will be the ones to take the baton. Karmas a biatch.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Kind of amazing that the GOP is so willing to continually demonstrate itself as only pandering to xenophobic white people. Especially as they are destined to be even more of a minority in the future. Not a recipe for success IMO.

"Hey look, it's the two symbols of the republican party: An elephant and an old , fat white guy who's afraid of change."

--Peter Griffin

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

How can you claim this is pandering to white people, it has 70% approval in Arizona and 60% approval in the country. Same could be said for the health care bill which 58% of the country wants repealed. The idea that Republicans are hurting politically from these positions is incredibly inaccurate and every single poll shows this. The governor of Arizona just got a huge bump from passing the immigration bill according to Rasmussen.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'd have to speculate that, by and large, minorities (who tend to not be white) are less than pleased at the idea of being considered "reasonably suspicious" every morning they wake up.

Republicans may not be hurting politically now, but the signs are there that not all is hunky-dory. Regardless of in-fighting, it's kind of hard to ignore the steadily declining voter power of white people in the US, particularly in the South (caveat: the minorities have to actually vote).

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You can't possibly be this naive. I've been pulled over three times after midnight and luckily had not been drinking but each time the cop has come up with a different b.s. excuse as to why he pulled me over.

It was because they felt like giving someone a dwi but chose the wrong random car.

Yeah, cops never abuse their power

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

What's funny is that this guy says it takes more than walking across a border to be American, does it take more than being lucky enough to be born here? Apparently thats not enough either cause this dude wants to deport American born children of illegals. How about those people in the crowd give something back to their land in addition to some votes and "here, here"s. Also are we prepared to go back and send away all children of illegal lineage? I say we go back a solid 100 years if we instill this policy.

The other funny thing is these politicians always try to make it a national security issue, at least since 9/11. It has been shown that the guys who planned 9/11 and other threats don't get in through Mexico. They have a good shot getting in through Canada as well.

The he talks about being broke and I'm sure illegals play a part in that, but no moreso than greedy and shady business practices. This country's finances are in the mud right now and this is one way to deflect that issue. The hypocrisy is suffocating.

I can understand an argument for this law to a point, but see things getting worse over the years if this remains unchecked. Little by little I'm losing faith in the country I defend. :(

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you and your Commodore (do you two sail on the S.S. Pretend Lawyer?) are having trouble with realizing that the law does not only apply to people in cars.

9. SamFisher

Exactly, that provision is simply useless boilerplate thrown in there the vain hopes that a federal judge will look favorably upon the anti-Brown People Act of 2010 as not in violation of the 14th Amendment.

It's like having law that sanctions illegal conduct, with a provision that says "this law cannot be used to justify illegal conduct" in the back of it.

Pointless and throwaway.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe Borat-like behavior would give one "reasonable suspicion." That could be the pathetic counter-example.

1) If you have brown skin.
    2) If you say things like "now we have the sex?"
    3) If you carry a chicken in a suitcase.
    4) If you collect your own stool in a plastic bag instead of using the toilet.

To make sure they're not racists here, though, they'll have to book one or two people per year on 2,3, or 4. Good luck with that!

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-april-26-2010/law---border'>Law & Border</a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:307926' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com'>Political Humor</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos/tag/Tea+Party'>Tea Party</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

--RB

12. conquistador#11

I heard a stat, that violent crimes are down in Arizona, lowest since 2005. Where is durvasa and his statistical wisdom? I would like a graph of violent crimes committed by immigrants in relation to violent crimes committed by real americans. :grin:

And where is the outrage from the cuban community in FL, that for the most part vote republican? When ricky martin wants to perform in havana, they're the first in line to protest within a day.

However, it is good to see that republican politicians in Florida are denouncing arizona's "law". A part of me wants to believe they actually care, and that losing votes in the long run has nothing to do with it.

I'm going to go trader jorge on yawl, and post fom this site:
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36427.html
    "The legislation would unreasonably single out people who are here legally, including many American citizens." -right winger, marco rubio-

*My posts are fair and balanced

13. tallanvor

I am not sure why you think my interpretation of the law is incorrect. As explained earlier, the law clearly says "lawful contact" which is a defined term in Arizona law. You provide no evidence other then insults.

the car example is used because its the most common case in which a person breaks the law and thus the most likely scenario this law will be enacted.

14. SamFisher

Do you think you should be able to be arrested for not having a driver's license with you while walking down the street? Yes or no.

1 person likes this.
  15. tallanvor

If you had been drinking (not drinking and driving isn't luck; it's ethics) and a cop had pulled you over for nothing, then you would have had legal grounds to get the case thrown out.

Most cops aren't racist or out to get anyone.

16. tallanvor

Of course they shouldn't have to have ID to walk down the street. Unless they plan on committing a crime, then they should bring their ID. Again "lawful contact"; a person cannot be ordered to show their ID for no reason.

17. SamFisher

So, you are assuming that the only people who have ever been/or will ever be stopped by police are people who plan on committing a crime?

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah, because I can prove that I wasn't "swerving" or "not signaling when I changed lanes" (two of their excuses which were total LIES). I take it you live a pretty sheltered life

And I know they aren't racist...they were white and I am white. they were just pricks who wanted to bust someone and they chose a guy in his 20's driving at night. funny that you think cops are totally ethical

19. tallanvor

There have been times cops have abused their power and in those cases a judge will determine whether the case should be thrown out because of this.

Is it your argument that we in Arizona shouldn't try to protect ourselves because of fear that a cop might abuse the law. If thats the case then why pass any law, a cop could always abuse it.

20. SamFisher

That doesn't even come remotely close to answering the question that I asked.

I am asking you a very simple question - are the only people ever stopped by police those who plan on commiting a crime?

No, my argument is that you are a bunch of xenophobic ass clowns who don't seem to understand the way the 14 Amendment, inter alia, works.