1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sarah Palin claims minorities are 2nd class citizens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

So if you can't use national origin, what qualifies as "reasonable suspicion" that a person is an illegal alien? I have still yet to hear a reasonable answer to this question anywhere, and I think that's because there is no way to "reasonably suspect" that a person is an illegal alien other than to assume based on someone speaking with a foreign accent or "looking Mexican."

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Here's my question? How do you even prove you are an immigrant? do you have to carry visa papers with you? Or have your green card on you? Hell what if you're a citizen, who carries their passport on them?

This is just ridiculous and pretty insulting.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

For those defending this, you are welcome to your beliefs. I just know that myself, as a Hispanic male, won't be making any trips to Arizona any time soon. Sucks too because I've been trying to get life "trophies" and I needed to drive from Palm Springs to Phoenix on I-10 to have driven every part of that highway. Its cool though, I drove all of US I-5. ;)

But I digress, it is a slippery slope and if people can get up in arms about taxes, surely others can get up in arms over not trying to be on anyone's RADAR.

[EDIT] Then again, I guess its our turn. It was the Irish in the early twentieth century, Blacks had it in the 70s (the time is debatable), Asians in WWII, Arabs in modern times. The baton's with us now. Guess its cool. All part of paying our dues to the 500 year natives. I just hope when it gets worse, I get through and maybe my kids can be President someday. Ha!

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The way they do this - if you have dirt on your skin, then you must be working a manual labor job, and these jobs are commonly given to illegal immigrants. That is reasonable suspicion.

Pow. Enjoy your stay with ICE.

If you look nervous when the police ask you a question (in the officer's opinion), that is reasonable suspicion.

Zap. Hope you like Mexico.

Again, having an accent = reasonable suspicion.

Saying that "reasonable suspicion" won't be abused is like saying black people won't get pulled over more often simply because they are black. It just flies in the face of reality.

Reasonable suspicion means they just have to have the slightest feeling that you might be illegal. As long as they can explain their suspicion without laughing, that's reasonable suspicion.

Reasonable suspicion is not probable cause. Not at all.

5. uolj

uolj Member

As the law says, a driver's license or state ID (for people who don't drive) is good enough, no passport necessary. If you're a permanent resident, then you're supposed to carry your green card with you anyway, although it is a little more of a hassle than a driver's license as it costs hundreds of dollars to replace if lost or stolen.

If you're a temporary resident or here on a visa, then I'm not exactly sure what the documentation is (I was curious myself), but I don't think it would be anything different than what the current law requires but doesn't really enforce.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

This is the America the tea party wants. This is taking the country back.

not about race my ass

7. uolj

uolj Member

I'm guessing the language thing might be one sketchy way to do it within the law, or if the officer asks for ID (which I think is allowed) as part of another situation but the person doesn't give it. I'm curious about the answer to this as well.

FYI... you quoted my post but your response doesn't really address it. I was just pointing out that when you said "read the law" and then said "If you look like you might possibly be from Mexico", the implication that the law allowed that wasn't exactly accurate. I'm not disagreeing with you about the potential for abuse or the difficulty in determining what legitimate "reasonable suspicion" is.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The other thing - open season on all illegal immigrants in AZ.

If decide to drive around AZ beating up, raping, and robbing illegals, I'm protected. Because if they do try to report me, they'll have their papers checked when they try to report the crime, and will be back in Mexico before the police can arrest me.

Any crimes on illegals are now fair game. They won't get reported, and if by some miracle one is reported, the crime won't be prosecuted because the victim will have been ejected from the country before the trial.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

"lawful contact" is a defined term in Arizona law.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...fted-immigration-law-in-Arizona-92136104.html

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No one cares about legalise like that. Until you can demonstrate that the courts would even enforce something like that, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The exclusionary rule for evidence has basically died over the last few years, no one is throwing out evidence gained through illegal means anymore so citing state law means nothing.

11. tallanvor

If you believe that the courts won't enforce a written law (you're wrong) then your beef is with the courts and not the law making body.

I am from Arizona and I like 70% of Arizona citizens think that asking citizens to show ID when a legal violation has occurred is appropriate.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub..._measure_cracking_down_on_illegal_immigration

12. mc mark

what's a "legal violation"?

13. tallanvor

your right poor choice of words. How about "violation of a legal nature" or "crime".

14. mc mark

that still doesn't make sense

15. mc mark

But anyway, I'm just curious if that rasmussen poll just polled people with phone numbers?

16. mc mark

not to derail, but here's another indication of Taken' the Country Back

<div><object width="512" height="322"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.46" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=19363665&vid=7402565〈=en-us&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/p/i/bcst/videosearch/14444/106527328.jpeg&embed=1" /><embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.46" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="322" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="id=19363665&vid=7402565〈=en-us&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/p/i/bcst/videosearch/14444/106527328.jpeg&embed=1" ></embed></object><br /><a href="http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7402565%E3%80%88=en-us/19363665">Tim James' campaign video -- Language</a> @ <a href="http://video.yahoo.com" >Yahoo! Video</a></div>

17. tallanvor

18. Steve_Francis_rules

Whether or not they are the most accurate poller is not a matter of opinion. It is a statement of fact. One that can be either verified or refuted with evidence.

19. mc mark

here's another one

At a tea party rally in Ramona in San Diego County over the weekend.

Duncan Hunter Jr. (R-CA) Supports Deporting American Citizens Whose Parents Are Illegal Immigrants

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX11mTOY2XM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX11mTOY2XM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By giving the government more powers you really limit their powers. What a fascinating tactic.