1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sanity=Keeping Future 1st Round Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Aug 9, 2017.

1. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Rockets picks are worthless for next few years. They need to get picks from Nets etc.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lmao, if I say we are a better team with Eric Gordon than without Eric Gordon does that make me an insider too!?!

#42 Pen15clubber, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Htowngenius

Htowngenius Member

Your so interested in getting me banned. Fact is mods know I start good thought provoking threads, which I bet they agree with.

5. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

dwhite needs dprivilege of starting threads taken away

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Late first round picks are pretty much worthless with early second rounders available for purchase.

The last thing I am worried about is DM finding good young talent.

We essentially drafted Troy Williams this year, one of the most prolific summer league talents.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. basketballholic

They're not worthless if they help us trade for LeBron instead of sign him outright.

8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Seems like you can pick up non-lottery picks (late 1st and 2nd rds) using Cash Considerations (he is everywhere).

Lottery picks are the only ones that matter. and really only 1-10. It's a crap shoot after that.

9. basketballholic

Yes, but a couple picks could be the grease needed to entice a trade which keeps us over the cap and not subject to the hard cap next season.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Lebron also has a no trade clause. The only way that a late first round pick would make any difference would be if a similar situation happened where Lebron said "trade me to Houston, no one but Houston, or else I am walking anyway" and then Cleveland decided to get something instead of nothing.

We can speculate all we want but the truth is we have zero indication that Lebron has even thought of coming to Houston. Maybe he has? Probably he hasn't? We don't know.

Obviously Lebron is much, much, much better than Carmelo, but if that late first round pick was what it took to get Carmelo here this year, giving us a legit big 3 (to go along with what should be a much more legit defense this year than last year) you have to do that trade. Trade for the sure thing and make a run this year instead of sitting around and hoping that maybe, just maybe, Lebron will decide to come next year... also hoping that CP3 doesn't leave too.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. basketballholic

I'm talking about trading for LeBron after we acquire Melo. Not in place of.

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

Why would Cleveland trade Lebron?

Kyrie went to Cleveland and asked for a trade. Since he doesn't have a non trade clause they should be able to get a good return for him instead of letting him sulk all season long.

Even if Lebron went to Cleveland and also demanded a trade, and specifically with his non-trade clause asked for a trade to only Houston, what would we offer? Ariza, Capela, Qi and a late 2020 pick? Cleveland would rather just keep Lebron for next year. Half motivated Lebron, which would still probably have a good chance at making the Finals in the LEastern Conference, would be better than any of the leftovers we would have at that point.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

'Giving up your first is giving up the future' is the thinking of a bottom dwelling, high draft picking team - we are on the complete opposite of the spectrum from that. First rounders for this team realistically are late first round marginal talents, low chance of turning to a star, and a cap hold that we likely would find better use for to find players who help us now.

Will Houston beat full strength GS with Melo? Probably not, but Melo is an upgrade regardless and we get closer to Golden State's level by upgrading at every position and we are already one of only a handful of teams who are even close to GS....and who knows - maybe something happens with an injury or turmoil in the ranks with Golden State and all of a sudden they aren't a juggernaut anymore. It's not Houston's fault that the greatest team ever assembled is playing in our conference - we can't control our chances to win the title against GS(no one can) but we CAN continue to put themselves in a position to take advantage of opportunity when it arises and at the end of the day, you could argue that was what happened when Houston won their last titles. People kept saying the Bulls were a lock to win the title every year and then one day Jordan is playing baseball and all of a sudden Houston has a chance and they walked away with two titles after that.

...and before anyone says anything - I am one of those who believe Houston would have beaten Chicago those two years anyway but I'm just saying there are those who would argue Jordan's absence changed the NBA competitive landscape for 2 years.

15. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

I meant the other team won't value Rocket's first a whole lot because it's likely a very late first. Slightly better than a 2nd round pick.

16. basketballholic

Ummmmmmm, because he tells them he's leaving next summer.........? I mean.....didn't we just see how this played out with Paul?

17. basketballholic

Like....We didn't know that?

How many second rounders do we have......let's see........

For Cleveland to value incoming salary more than cap space it'll take picks. Do I have to explain everything?

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Almost.

Chris Paul had an opt out clause for this summer. He told LAC that he was going to leave this summer. So LAC could take our trade offer or lose him for, literally, nothing.

Lebron has 2 more years on his contract with an opt out clause next summer. So the best that Lebron could do would be to go to Cleveland and tell them that he is going to opt out and walk next summer. Which would still give Cleveland a year to have Lebron, a year to try to convince him to stay and a year to be just about guaranteed to make ECF and high chance of Finals. Every team would take that for a year over taking the Rockets' leftovers.

"Well what about Lebron being unhappy and being a cancer?" If Lebron really is planning to leave Cleveland (I'm still skeptical about that, but if) then I really think there would be no way he just half-asses it for a year. He cares too much about his legacy.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Your correct but looking at it wrong

Cp3 over bev = upgrade
    Moute over dekker = upgrade
    Tucker over lue = upgrade (position of need in tucker Lou redundant with Gordon on roster)
    Black over trez = at worst a wash but trez might have more upside.

If you ask any GM or president in the NBA if they thought they could turn bev,Lou,dekker,trez and a top 3 protected 1st for cp3, Tucker, moute, black? I think most including Morey if being honest would say no.

Now if you ask them if they would do that deal in sure every single one of them would say yes.

Morey is a magician

If he can get melo for Ryno expiring contracts and a 1st round pick he'll have turned a 55 win team with one star into a 3 star team with two legit top 10 players while retaining every majors piece on the team in harden Capela Gordon and Ariza while adding moute Tucker and black and bring back nene.

Assuming we get melo houstons top 9 players is as good as any outside of golden state and that's only because well there golden state and prob the best team ever.

Any other year without melo houston would be a top 2 favorite at worst to win the chip it's just strange times.

20. basketballholic

You're like weeks late to the party.