1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sanders Bill Eliminates all Student Loans. Period

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jun 24, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This entire post makes zero sense.

How can anyone that knows anything about college or the military can equate the 2 for public service.

Everybody who has student loans have not completed their education for one thing and the other your life is not at risk going to college.

College graduates are not especially informed either.

Where the hell did you get this drivel?

Corrosion and cml750 like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fine in principle, lots of details to attend to.

Nook likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

God bless and may Trump Ultra Tanner™ fill your stockings this holiday season.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think it matters who wins Trump's economic policies are unsustainable. Running trillion dollar deficit forever doesn't seem possible.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree with you on this. I avoided bringing that up in my response to him because I am not really in the mood to get into an argument right now.

jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

delete.

#246 jiggyfly, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Since this thread got revived, yeah, I'm replying to an old post of yours.

Exactly. How you gonna pay for all this? There is no way this would pass both the House and the Senate. None. Plus you'd stoke the fire of the right; you think Obama gave them fuel for his first midterms, leading to them taking back the House in a "shellacking" (his words)? Wait until Sanders tries this.

Deal somehow with the rising costs of tuition and healthcare, yes. The cost of prescription drugs. That'll be tough enough. Free? I wish.

It's good bulls*** to get votes, though, even though I'm sure he means it.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's a profound question to you? Of course everyone skepital has asked how are we are going to pay for it. It's the most common rhetorical argument against it.

It's not that difficult to find Warren's and Bernie's proposals to pay for such as the wealth tax. It's written explicitly in their proposals. Of course we can debate in the merits of their method of payment but let's not pretend they haven't provided a readily providable answer for any person with the most basic amount of intellectual curiosity.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That was pretty much Sanders' argument 4 years ago. "We'll figure out the details later," although his supporters looked past that. BERNIE, WHEEEE!

Maybe he's had time to figure it out since then, but the Titanic was too big and lumbering to avoid that iceberg. So, too, the American economy. You can't put it suddenly on a course so radically different. It isn't engineered that way.

joshuaao and Nook like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Yet, the stock market won't tank and might even rise after Trump first gets elected. Business sees him as pro-business and Bernie has not as friendly to business.

I agree that the economy will be problematic because of Trump's current policies.

11. fchowd0311

“Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of the day.” - Thomas Jefferson

“It is favourable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in the society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.” - Benjamin Rush

“A diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.” - James Madison

“If virtue and knowledge are diffused among the People, they will never be enslav'd. This will be their great Security.” - Samuel Adams

The founders were very adamant about the importance of public education and how it protects our liberty. A defended populace is a safe populace hence military is a public service. Being educated is a public service also as now you are a more rational thinker in an electorate.

And not everyone who has enlisted has completed their contracts in honorable terms and many even after throwing tens of thousands of dollars in training and equipment at them spend most of their enlistment being NJP'd and being a waste of air. Do you even know how much money the DOD spends on training just one enlisted service member? The god damn peq-16 attached to my rifle that was just a small attachment that shot Infrared lasers costed 2000 dollars. From all the ammo dumps from all our training exercises, to all the equipment issued etc, they spend at least 60 grand per service member on training.

According to whom? Are we speaking of general trends or speaking of mere anecdotes from you? Education is a service to enhance the quality of citizenry of the public in order for the public to make better informed decisions which is a service just like the military is a service that defends the nation just like a service. In both services, there are individuals who have failed.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289615000355

Quote from abstract of study: "there is an average increase equal to 1.9 IQ points in the IQ global composite score per year of education"

When I was a first year engineering undergrad after serving my time in the Marine Corps, due to my naiveness, I fell into the trap of joking about "useless liberal art degrees" such as political science. You grow older, you mature and I realized how even if a major isn't "highly employable", it still is beneficial to soceity if a citizen experiences that education. Founders like Jefferson saw the benefits of education not just through the lens of employment.

Think to yourself what political science or sociology majors do for four years assuming we are referring to the students who take their studies seriously and do the course work in good faith. They read really dry and dense reading material and then write 10-20 page analytical papers organizing their thoughts on what they read. Now, the sad state of affairs, is for the vast majority of the American electorate, they don't do that outside a classroom environment where grades and a diploma are the incentives. We live in modern click-bait reductive meme culture. Most Americans don't read and write in meaningful ways that exercise the mind. That's why people who major in these social sciences that involve a lot of reading and writing that take their school work seriously tend to be more introspective and better critical thinkers. That in my opinion is a service to the country.

#251 fchowd0311, Feb 18, 2020
    subtomic likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

it is a shell game and I will explain.

Can the USA pay off all student debt? Yes.

What the US cannot do is......... have a single payer system, pay off all student loans, have a jobs bill, and spend 16 trillion dollars on global warming.

The estimated total cost for what Sanders wants? 96 trillion dollars.

It isn't possible........ even with all the plans laid out by Senator Sanders, he is a good 70 trillion dollars short.

The GDP ratio would be over 70%........... the government would be 75% of all the money earned, just to pay for the programs Sanders wants.

The government would nearly triple in size.

Short of an absolute total revolution, it isn't possible......... it would cause serious long term economic issues in the USA and the world.

My criticism of Sanders is that he needs to pick ONE or TWO bills that are at least remotely possible.......... when I see him discussing 100 trillion dollar plan, that tells me that he does not understand the economy or he really has been too influenced by the former USSR and Venezuela........ It goes WAY beyond anything that is in Western Europe.

13. Nook

Nook Member

We want and need a well educated people. It makes a huge difference in many respects.

The cost of a secondary education needs to be addressed, and expectations need to be tempered from an employment stand point.

B@ffled, RayRay10, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am a teacher so I work around 80% of people who have degrees and 60% of them are uninformed on what is really going on, IQ has nothing to with it.

They don't watch a ton of news and they don't really read because of work duties and the negativitey.

Being a graduate does make you a more rational thinker just look at the senate and house.

Hell AOC is not a particularly rational thinker.

I have no idea where you are going with the rest of this.

Just trying to drown me in words?

B@ffled likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

I'm starting to believe you aren't in this for a good faith discussion.

You are just making anecdotal arguments and calling people dumb or irrational out of your own subjective terms.

I'm discussing my philosophy on education and why I deem it a service like the military is a service.

I'm not drowning you with words. I'm discussing what I genuinely believe from my reading and experiences.

You are expressing "bro" like behavior by easily dismissing ideas and nuanced discussion and calling it crazy. If you have anything substantive to add, please do.

Oh 60% of then are uniformed. What was your methods to determine this and what is your definition of "informed"?

#255 fchowd0311, Feb 18, 2020
    subtomic likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When are you going to give that 1st line a rest.

I never called anybody dumb, show me saying that in a post or STFU.

And you claim I am not discussing in good faith.

So you are calling me out for making anecdotal arguments and then admit you are doing the same thing.

Being uninformed on politics does not make you dumb I have no idea why you went there.

17. fchowd0311

You're just a really bad poster. There are people I disagree with on many things such as @Nook or @Space Ghost that are far more satisfying to engage with.

18. Major

Major Member

Here is an example of a relatively sensible policy that addresses the student loan issue without screwing over all the people who didn't take them or worked to pay them off, and without the silliness of "just delete it all and pretend like it never happened!"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/18/mike-bloomberg-community-college-student-loans-115703

How would the proposal change student loans?
    New and existing federal student loan borrowers would be automatically enrolled in a new repayment plan that caps monthly payments at 5 percent of a borrower’s discretionary income — down from 10 percent under many existing income-based repayment plans. After a borrower made 20 years of “reasonable progress” in repaying a loan, the government would forgive up to $57,000 of any remaining balance tax-free. By contrast, there’s currently no limit on loan forgiveness under income-based repayment plans, though the amount of forgiveness is taxed as income.

Reduces the burden of student loans; still requires repayment; after an extended period of time, there is significant forgiveness.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one of the problems with higher ed today is that many if not most institutions are in an arms race with others over facilities--dining halls, climbing walls, weight rooms and fitness centers, new dorms and apartment-style housing, etc etc etc. This leads to a continual ratcheting up of competition for students and ever-ruinous expense, expense that is largely passed on to students.

another major cost problem for higher ed is the similar ratcheting up of government compliance, in ALL aspects of higher ed administration, from Title IX and disabilities to athletics and human resources to Tier I research and grant oversight. It's endless. Plus some of these costs are passed on to students as well.

#259 Os Trigonum, Feb 18, 2020
    B@ffled, RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can't recall if this has been discussed somewhat related -- predatory loans to unqualified students paying off for profit colleges has to end immediately. I'm not sure how large that debt bubble is getting, but I'm sure it is unsurprisingly huge.

B@ffled, jiggyfly and Nook like this.