1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung Galaxy S III

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by underoverup, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

this is fun..and true.
    http://androidphonenamegenerator.com/

if samsung galaxy s ii wasn't long enough..sprint added some more mess to it.

i still remember the guy on the ad was like..announcing the "sprint galaxy s ii epic 4g touch" :confused:

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They need to stop putting Galaxy in front of everything. Sounds lame.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...I was looking to get one but now should I wait

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Here's the problem with Android, they require so much power but their actual performance to power ratio is terrible.

I guarantee you that this phone will probably lag at some point and make you wonder how the heck there is a quad core in there. Put iOS or Windows Phone 7 on a quadcore and I am sure that the performance will smoke that on android.

Heck, single core iPhones and windows phone devices are already comparable in actual usage to dual core androids.

So basically, for an android phone, divide the number of cores it has by half and that's where you get equal performance to a ios or windows phone.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

That is incorrect, while it may have been true in the past with older versions of Android. Moving forward with the AOSP source for 4.0.3 , this is different.

Hardware acceleration is also supported now which provides a much smoother interface. It always has been technically, since 1.5 but not completely. As for Android phones becoming laggy? Sure, if you're still using a task killer or have some rogue app

"Full" hardware accelerated drawing within a window was added in Android 3.0. The implementation in ICS is not any more full than in 3.0. Starting with 3.0, if you set the flag in your app saying that hardware accelerated drawing is allowed, then all drawing to the application’s windows will be done with the GPU. The main change in this regard in Android 4.0 is that now apps that are explicitly targeting 4.0 or higher will have acceleration enabled by default rather than having to put android:handwareAccelerated="true" in their manifest. (And the reason this isn’t just turned on for all existing applications is that some types of drawing operations can’t be supported well in hardware and it also impacts the behavior when an application asks to have a part of its UI updated. Forcing hardware accelerated drawing upon existing apps will break a significant number of them, from subtly to significantly.

Also, hardware accelerated drawing is not a magical silver bullet to butter-smooth UI. There are many different efforts that have been going on towards this, such as improved scheduling of foreground vs. background threads in 1.6, rewriting the input system in 2.3, strict mode, concurrent garbage collection, loaders, etc. If you want to achieve 60fps, you have 20 milliseconds to handle each frame. This is not a lot of time. Just touching the flash storage system in the thread that is running the UI can in some cases introduce a delay that puts you out of that timing window, especially if you are writing to storage.

When people have historically compared web browser scrolling between Android and iOS, most of the differences they are seeing are not due to hardware accelerated drawing. Originally Android went a different route for its web page rendering and made different compromises: the web page is turned in to a display list, which is continually rendered to the screen, instead of using tiles. This has the benefit that scrolling and zooming never have artifacts of tiles that haven’t yet been drawn. Its downside is that as the graphics on the web page get more complicated to draw the frame rate goes down. As of Android 3.0, the browser now uses tiles, so it can maintain a consistent frame rate as you scroll or zoom, with the negative of having artifacts when newly needed tiles can’t be rendered quickly enough. The tiles themselves are rendered in software, which I believe is the case for iOS as well. (And this tile-based approach could be used prior to 3.0 without hardware accelerated drawing; as mentioned previously, the Nexus S CPU can easily draw the tiles to the window at 60fps.)

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Now that I'm a full Android user, I enjoy what you write scionxa.

When Android came out, I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread. I still don't with HoneyComb. The UI is a mess. The settings are unintuitive (I know where they are, but not instantly and not easily).

I do like more explicit controls on privacy, tasks, and ui customization, but if I'm not a ROM chef, I'm likely not going to get that to any degree unless I read a book's worth of webpages piecemealed together with some smart searching.

Kind of a problem with open source and different flavored variants, but the iOS or WM strategies have their weaknesses too.

I'm totally looking forward to that ICS update.

7. Scionxa

Thanks :) if anyone ever has any questions regarding Android, feel free to PM me.

Yeah, honeycomb looks cool but wasn't ready for prime time. Even Google employees acknowledge that they rushed it out.
    Not to mention... the source code for Honeycomb never came out. That was a big blow to the dev community.
    ICS changes alot of things. At one point, you will feel like a total noob when you first use a device with ICS lol. There's over 220,000 changes in the framework alone

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The specs are very believable. Arm's Cortex A15 quad core design has been released for about a year now and manufacturers like Samsung and TI should be starting to release to production right around the start of 2012. Nvidia's quad core Kal-El is already shipping. 2.0GHz speeds are already achievable with current generation Exynos so there's no reason to believe they won't top it with the next generation which could possibly be on a 28nm process. 12MP sensors are available and these chips could easily handle two full 1080p simultaneous encodes if they wanted to.

The big advantage that Samsung has over other phone manufacturers is vertical integration in their supply chain which allows them to have a nice competitive advantage. They make the SoC, they make the display (near monopoly on AMOLED tech), they make the sensors, they make the other IC components (they are one of the world's largest semiconductor companies). That's why they can do stuff that a company like HTC can't having to source components from many different suppliers. It's also why Apple sees them as such a big threat -- they pretty much are the only other vertically integrated mobile manufacturer in the industry.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

fwiw, scionxa knows his ***** about Android and cell phones in general. Hell I work for Verizon and hoping he lands a job with us.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

so why is that even with all the dual core and high memory phones..android still has that "lag"? why do you have to customize the hell out of it to get decent battery life? i tried android..and it just felt unfinished. i ended up joining apple church.

now i am waiting for nokia to get their act together in the US. 9 days till CES 2012:)

11. Scionxa

thanks man :cool:

12. Scionxa

what phone did you experience lag on? I can probably let you know what's the deal with that specific phone

It all depends on the OS, manufacturer , etc.

For example, some of the original Galaxy S phones eventually got slower with some time. Why? Samsung likes to use their own proprietary RFS file system (at least they did). Phones that use EXT4 (linux based) will run smoother, especially for writing to flash memory/ storage.

LG, they like to use these unsigned kernels with weird voltages that often times aren't enough to power the phone (See LG G2X rebooting issues). Stay away from LG.. (phones)

HTC: Most bloated software on Android. Packaged all together, including the system.img, boot.img, and system data. It's over 200MB's of Sense packed together. Most famous lag on HTC is the app drawer. This is caused by bad software rendering on "rosie.apk" . They have since gotten better since the HTC Sensation in Sense 3.5

As for android versions.

2.2 brought memory management changes

2.3 optimized though, and made them better

3.0 added different ui thread priorities and fixed lag big time on browser

4.0 full hardware acceleration was added..

Also, alot of unfinished phones are due to the carrier.
    The manufacturers aren't making phones if it's not for the carriers. Sometimes they like to rush products.

Android is finished. The entire source code is available to build at developer.android.com

If you feel a phone is unfinished, it's due to that specific manufactuer/carrier combination.

However, I'm not trying to completely discredit you. I do acknowledge that some phones are too powerful for no reason.

Biggest example was the LG G2X on Tmobile. Came out with dual core processor, on FROYO.
    It was terrible

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Whoa...

I just upgraded to a G2X (found a decent deal on eBay). Were the problems related it its launch and the OS, or are they other problems I missed? I got it running CM7, so not really worried about Froyo or maybe some dumb T-Mobile/LG thing (I think?). Haven't noticed any problems so far...

Relatively new to Android, and wasn't quite aware of any problems with the phone. Seemed to get good reviews, and it was actually recommended to me by a co-worker (our Android guru).

14. Scionxa

Sorry,

15. Scionxa

Crap, drunk and hit enter too fast.

meant to put

Sorry, i should have clarified. LG G2X when it initially came out on Froyo was terrible, imo. Now, I believe it's gotten a Gingerbread update (twice, initial roll-out had issues) .
    However, you're on CM7. You should be okay :) the changes that are made via CM7 offer substantial speed benefits and you can always see the source at github

If you have an LG device, I highly recommend CM7 or anything else that is also AOSP based.

1 person likes this.
  16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I thought that might have been what you meant, but just wanted to make sure. Whew...thought maybe I just bought a phone with a huge problem.

Yeah, I'm not too big on LG products in general, but the specs + price + CM support pretty much won me over (I installed CM7 ASAP when I got the phone). If I was stuck with whatever LG put on the device, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Reading up on it, it does sounds like it had a terrible launch...and now that I think about it, I think my co-worker did mention something about it.

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

ScionXA, how do I delete apps I installed on a Tmobile 4g Touch? It doesn't show up under settings/apps.

18. Scionxa

Are you trying to uninstall bloatware that came pre-installed on the phone?

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Both, preinstalled bloatware and apps I installed that don't have the option for me to remove them.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

you should cite your source if you copy and paste something.