1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sampson as the coach so far....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Incredible. You are entirely hopeless.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You should have your account deleted.

3. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think pistol111847 was afraid Harden was going to play heroball when he was in at the end? Please answer pistol? We've seen that hasn't worked in several close games. In this case however Harden, when he saw he couldn't score, passed it off and it worked and we won.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a good thing for him that I'm not a mod. I'll suffer fools, I'll even suffer fools gladly, but when it gets to the point where good, honest discussion in the GARM is damn near impossible because of members like him frantically playing the fool, my patience is at an end. We beat the ****ing Lakers and this is his response. Pure idiocy.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol you guys aren't mad about hero ball that just an excuse. Your main reasons is Lin and his minutes it's so obvious to see. Even after a big win against the Lakers you guys are looking bad complaining about such pettiness.

6. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

What? Stop putting words in my mouth. I've always said Sampson did the right thing in this case. My problem is with how it SEEMS Lin is treated differently from the other starters, how only he is the one who has to fight for minutes while the others can play poorly throughout the game, but still play in the end in the most of the games so far. This was brought up by choco...

I have also complained about heroball. I thought that contributed (although not the only reason), to some of our early losses. Lately Harden has done this less often, which is a good thing imo.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Sampson already said he was going to treat Lin like a rookie which he pretty much is. So Lin as a struggling rookie, will be on a shorter leash. The rest of the starters are actually having a pretty good season.

Every team has stars that play hero ball here and there, it's pretty normal stuff.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ok gotcha. It's fine to bench harden, but its not ok to bench Lin....

9. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I think what Sampson did against the Lakers was smart coaching, but what he' s done in the past ie. the blazers game was a mistake. However, I will say this...I think if this is the year we are shooting for a championship (haha) then Sampson's approach is justifiable, but if we are trying to shoot for a championship in the near future, then he needs to let Lin learn through his mistakes and just play and develop. I have noticed when Harden is playing horribly (hero ball initially, high TOs, and now bad shooting nights), he is still left in the game, while Lin is not. This shows the confidence Sampson has in Harden and not in Lin. I think that's a mistake especially if Lin is going to be our PG for the next 3 years.

10. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Ever think they're protecting Lin rather than marginalizing him?

If he's lost a step due to knee surgery and is still working his way back -- or if his confidence is really low due to poor shooting and media pressure or whatever it is, it may not be a good idea to have him go out there and shoot 2-19.

11. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Well said. My point exactly.

12. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Exactly

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

somebody should create a metric like PER but add in a players percentage of salary cap to come up with a player value rating.

In any case a players minutes often mirror their percentage of salary and especially after just signing a max contract. Lin isn't that max guy and doesn't deserve to be treated like it.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Not really, even if the team isn't competing for a championship, the priorities is always to win as much games as possible. This is true for all NBA teams. Lin still averages 33 mpg though.

Harden is a star and having a better season his leash is longer than anyone on the teams. You can't compare him to Lin.

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Came in to see what others feel about 'Sampson as the coach so far...'. Was redirected to Lin's Scrutiny. What the....

16. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Why do I have the feeling if Lin was left in a game to brick shot after shot, ending with a stat line like 2-19 -- the same people posting that Lin's on a short leash would be posting "Why doesn't Sampson take Lin out? This is horrible for his confidence"?

17. metrichalo

metrichalo Member

I've watched all of Lin's games. I think he's been playing well in 80% of the games, which is very decent.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

brb blatantly ignoring good scoring pgs in the league, CP3, Westbrook, Rose, DWill, Kyrie, Curry, Tyreke, Lillard, Tony Parker brb

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

brb failing to understand sarcasm, brb

20. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

I have no problem with Lin being pulled if he's playing poorly or in foul trouble. The problem is that Sampson also pulls him when he's playing well which can mess with your mind. Bizarre and suspicious coaching.