1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sampson as the coach so far....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Exactly. The respect shown to Harden is completely off the charts, while Lin gets none of it.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Are you aware that our starting PG during our two championship runs, a FAR more established player than Jeremy Lin, was frequently "benched" at the end of games?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because.....uhhhh:confused::confused:...Harden is the s..t.a..r of the team.:confused:

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

I could be on to somthing........ na im just crazy!

5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Pointing to wins doesn't really do justice to what I'm trying to say. There is a lot more that goes into winning a game than the rotations of the starting and backup PG. I just find it hypocritical from an NBA head coach to say one thing and do another, that's all.

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Its not like Lin doesn't get chances to prove himself. He gets his chances but he hasn't made the best of it. Simple as that.

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

No, I wasn't aware. As you can see, I joined in 2008, not 1994. But personally I just find it hypocritical to have one of our players be benched at first sign's notice while the other gets the entire game to work things out.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

again harden >>>>>>>>>>>>>> lin

9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

You could argue that James Harden has performed equally bad relative to the expectations we've put upon him.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What motivation does a struggling starter have if he isn't afraid of his understudy. Fear is the best motivation for a player who has his millions in the bank. If he should be worth the minutes then why not make him motivated and earn it. Natural selection should be allowed to take its course in the NBA.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

To be fair, Douglas was playing well. Thats why he got te nod. Who was playing well, that should have replaced stuggling Harden and was benched in favor?

12. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

It's not just this one game ugg I said I agreed with what happened in this game. It's how it has seemed through out the season so far particularly under Sampson.

13. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Well it seems my opinions differ vastly from the majority of fans on this website. I can respect that. I just wanted to say something I've been concerned about since day 1.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not seeing the hypocrisy. Sampson has every right to go with the combination of players he feels gives him the best chance to win. There's no rigid formula to it, but you expect him to take into account player combinations that are playing well together and shifting the momentum in the Rockets favor. Harden got minutes because we still needed someone who can break his man down off the dribble and create something or draw fouls, and he's been more successful at doing that than Lin.

15. Nook

Nook Member

It is very hard to judge Sampson at this point.

First, his strength as a coach has always been his intelligence, hard work and defensive ability.

while the Rockets are winning a bit more than before, their defense has been every bit as bad as our offense has been good. That outcome does not fit Sampson as a coach.

We do not know how much say Sampson has in which plays and his rotations. We also do not know how he rubs the players or the other coaches.

It is easier to put up with a coach when you think it is an interim situation. If it becomes permanent who knows what will happen.

I liked Sampson when we added him to the staff. His past transgressions were at the college level, and to be quite frank, do not matter at the NBA level. I think he is better suited to coach adults.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you know the coach of the spurs?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have only seen this maybe 3 times this season. It is not as prevalent as you are making it out to be.
    Now if it wasn't working, then it would be a problem.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Also, why shouldn't Harden play the 4th quarter. He has been in the league since 09. He has played in the playoffs, he has played in the Finals, and he has always played in the 4th quarter for the Thunders. HE does well in the 4th quarter. He has played more than 2 seasons of basketball. And my bad, I'm wrong, Jeremy Lin finally played 81 games his career now. 29 of those games really didn't count as he played for the GSW and didn't do jack.

Now if you look at both their stats currently, Harden is averaging 5 more minutes than Lin but he is still shooting above 40+ from the field and 30+ from the 3 even though more teams are worried about him compared to Lin. He has more pressure than Lin.

Lin is shooting below 40 from the field and below 30 from the 3s. He has had more open shots than Harden.

19. Nook

Nook Member

This... and honestly we are not really that much better a team. Lets not forget McHale had 3 new starters shoved at him this season and it takes awhile to gel.

A more likely scenario is a raise and new title for Sampson with McHale coaching.. then McHale possibly moving into the front office.

20. Nook

Nook Member

No he has not. He has had some poor shooting games, but his PER is still in the top 3 shooting guards in the NBA and he is going to the line a lot. This is Harden's first shot as a starter and as a #1 option. He has done well overall I believe.

The question is whether he will improve.