1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith Speculation: Stromile Swift + No. 8 for No. 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stephen1616, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

What youth did he play this year? When forced to because of injury, he gave Head more minutes. In the last 8 games when the season was decided, did he alter the minutes to look at what we have? Did Swift start or did we see 38 minutes of JHO in meaningless games? Did Lampe see any minutes? Did he not cost us lottery positions with his play veterans at all times attitude? None of this is JVG hating, just facts. If you think these things are helping , well your a JVG lover and not a realist.
    The reason teams like Dallas and San Antonio always seem to have a supply of youth that can play is they actually play that youth and develope it. JVG offers no evidence of that at any time in his coaching career.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Some background on Dirk: It was Donnie Nelson (Don's son and current Mav GM) who wanted them to go after Nowitzki. He had coached the Lithuanian National Team and that's where he became aware of Dirk. He orchestrated the trade that landed Dirk in Dallas. Nelson took a lot of grief for that making that move because it took Dirk a while to aclimate to the NBA but it worked out very well in the end. That's because Nelson's offensive system was predicated on creating and exploiting mismatches on the floor and at the time, a 7-foot player with a jumpshot who could play out on the floor facing the basket created a huge mismatch for the traditional PFs in the league. Still does. It's especially bad when your starting PF is 6' 9", slow and can't shoot but I too digress.

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

No need to remind us. Just thinking about it makes me want to go out and steal a pair of sunglasses. :cool:

4. Nero

Nero Member

Not to sidetrack this or anything, but did anyone else notice during the season last year, that whenever Stro and TMac stood close to each other, it was clear that Tracy was actually bigger and taller than Swift?

I don't think Swift will ever be big enough to play the 4 for us, and it's questionable whether he can ever develop the desire and the savvy either.

We need a ball-hawk kind of 4, a Dennis Rodman kind of 4, a guy who will play strong defense, rebound, and sacrifice life and limb in pursuit of every loose ball.

That said, who, out of Aldridge, Thomas or Williams (or heck maybe Simmons) is really that kind of player? From the hype, Shelden sounds like the one most able to do those things.. The one thing we absolutely do not need to do is grab another power forward with little ability or little heart, because we already have those guys.

Barring a clear-cut no-brainer at the #2 spot, I would actually prefer we stay put and pick up the guy who, at the moment, seems to be the one who will help us the most, and that is Brewer. Heck, that is probably why Chicago would ever entertain offers for their spot, because even they cannot figure out who is the best player at their spot. Morrison? Bargnani? Gay? Gay may be really good, but isn't he a duplicate of TMac? How does adding a clone behind our best player make us a better team? Roy? Roy is a good player, but again, does he make us a better team than Brewer would? Possibly not.

Man I just wish the draft would hurry up and get here... grumble grumble

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Noooooooooo! :eek:

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

We gotta play STRO, get his value high (higher than the sh*$ he is at now) then trade him to a team desperate for a big man!there's plenty out there.

c'mon guys, this league is so thin up front, some team will think he can be the next great PF and trade for him. but van gundy will have to play him first...

7. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

My post was not so much pro Stro Swift as it was anti trade him away, without a suitable replacement for his ability to play center as well as foward. A few of the rookie PF's may be able to play center but not next year. Motumbo needs to be moved and if possible JHo, also. So, we can't let Stro go at the moment unless we replace his versatility now.

It is okay to hate on JVG, I do it regularly. Part of his job description. He is an NBA coach and he sux at it. Our philosphies on how to manage a team are different.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

That sounds pretty iffy. The more probable scenario has us picking for New Orleans (probably Shelden Williams) in exchange for the 12th and 15th. Which makes sense for us because we can still take a Brewer, Reddick or possily Foye with the 12th pick and then take Cedric Simmons with the 15th to shore up the front court. What need to the Bulls have for Stro anyway? He's an inferior Tyson Chandler.

9. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

It would be great to dump Swift and even get a higher pick in return...

At 2 I'd draft:

1. Bargnani
    2. Morrison
    3. Roy

In that order...

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Fun to speculate.

It almost seems that Roy and Shelden Williams are the monkey wrenches in this year's draft. Supposedly the Lakers want to trade Odom for the #2 and #16 (in July, when Chicago has the cap space). Supposedly lots of teams are hot on Shelden Williams (Atlanta? Houston?)

Stro is an intergalactic enigma but he's a stopgap backup 4 and 5. If you're gonna trade him, trade him and Luther Head and, say, the rights to V-Span for the #5 pick....hell, Atlanta was looking to sign Stro last year, weren't they? And Luther alongside JJ?

I'd like Roy on the team. I think Morrison will go #1 to Charlotte after they make a deal with Toronto. But we need tough players who can take JVG's abuse (JVG being on the books for one or two more years and not likely to be fired).

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

due to rules changes over the previous few years, the nba has become a league all about exploiting mismatches on the floor. keeping that in mind, it might be advantageous to draft a player that helps to create mismatches on the floor.

i bring this up because sheldon williams does not do this, imo. defensively, he MAY end up causing mismatches on the court, but that's no guarantee. and i have seen absolutely NO reason to think that he will be a mismatch creator offensively...be it with his shooting, passing, or intangibles. i just don't see it.

if someone is so stuck in the past nba (pre rules changes) to pick up sheldon williams in the top 7, let them do it. they'd be stupid and we'd pick up a better player because of it.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I find this rumor so specious and silly as to suppose Smith 'reported' it (made it up). Why would Bulls blow so much $$$ on a talented but super inconsistent guy? Just because Lakes want something does not mean they have to get it.

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

what the hell are you talking about? don't you know that is rule #1a in the nba media handbook???

1a. what LA wants, LA gets
    1b. what NY wants, isaiah will f*ck up
    2. timmy never fouls...or so he says.
    3. weed should not be carried in airports (was unwritten...then damon stoudamire came along)

it goes on from there, but it ends up somewhere around...

415. must show obligatory boob shot of hot chick in stands.

:D

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

krocket took the words out of my mouth.At the very least Stro is a more than competent backup 5 who one would think would make a monster power forward.Now on that #2 pick/potential alone,we better be getting pretty good value back in a deal or I don't trade Stro.I guess I haven't given up on him though I'm not averse to bettering our team via his exit.

15. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i ll do it and take Rudy Gay.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Stro + #8 for #2? We HAVE to make this trade if offered. I have a lot of questions about Aldridge, but he and JH wouldn't be any worse than JH & Stro, plus Alridge has a huge upside. He won't be dominant in his first couple of years but the guy has the tools to be great. When he gets more strength and adds some NBA polish, who knows how good he could be.
    We'd also look at Bargnani. I have seen little of him but unlike some of the Euro busts in the past, Bargnani has played a lot of minutes on his team and seems to be a more certain product. Like LA, he won't be dominant in his first couple of years but a talent like his may be too much to pass up. As with LA, Bargnani & JH isn't much worse than JH & Stro.

Of course, if we didn't draft a PF at #2 to replace Stro, either or both of Rudy Gay and Morrison will be there.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

appreciate the clarification. Unlike Damon's demon weed I shall learn, I shall, I shall.

18. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

though I'd agree Swift hasn't reach his potential, he's got a tradable contract and you probably underestimate his trade value. Swift can at least give us one of NJ's 1st picks or some serviceable players.

19. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

maybe Swift + #8 for Atl's #5? they need big body and we can take one of the swingmen they don't need like Gay, Roy, or Morrison?

20. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member