1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith Speculation: Stromile Swift + No. 8 for No. 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stephen1616, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This was posted a while back, by the way. I'd probably do it and take Aldrige. (Although I'll admit, I haven't been reading up on his workouts, so his stock may have fallen)

2. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I agree. IMO we have to keep Stro. JVG is probably not the one to inspire him, however. I haven't really seen JVG inspire any of our players. We need Stro for Center in small ball as much as PF in big ball. Motumbo is not a factor in our future, unless it is for a trade. JHo would be great. In fact I might use JHo and /or Motumbo and our #8 to trade down for New Orleans' for their 2 picks and maybe a throw-in. Dump JHo, Mutumbo and their cap hit for Simmons and Brewer/Carney. Motumbo would probably have to do it to keep his hospital in the news with this NBA exposure. I have heard it is high priority in for him this year especially.

God, I would love to pick up a young coach like Avery Johnson before it is too late for TMac and Yao to recover. Don Nelson left him a solid offensive group, but he has worked miracles with their defense. And his in-game adjustments are masterful. Everyone says we can't let go JVG, because who would replace him. I bet Dallas fans appreciate that Mark Cuban has vision. I digress.

3. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

is the bulls manager also the same paxson who knocked down that 3 to seal the bulls' third championship?

4. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Say if we do this trade.. Who the heck do we get that we know that's going to be ready to contribute besides Roy...? I wouldn't take Roy with the 2nd overall pick anyways.

I rather keep Stro, he is a solid player and alot better than than most of the team. Then draft at eight..

If we could trade either Head/ Next years pick/ Alston.. with the 8th for the 2nd.. then ya I'll do it but I bet the Bulls won't want it. But hey maybe they might want our next year's pick getting a chance to get Greg Oden :)

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

not to get awat from the topic but is this just van gundy hating? how do you even gage this? i'd say for a fact he's inspired jon barry who said he would have retired if he wasn't traded here. he's inspired t-mac certainly who probably played the best basketball of his career 2 years ago. mutumbo had his career rejuvenated after getting traded here. it seems more likely to me that van gundy gets good motivation out of his guys.

i also like hearing the van gundy doesn't play and can't develop young players myth. i have yet to see any kind of proof whatsoever of that.

6. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

I really think JVG inspired Sura... guy was a beast in 04-05 couldn't ask for more.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

i have serious concerns about lamarcus aldridge. i know cf.net is filled with diehard longhorn fans and i may catch hell for saying that, but it is true. his strength is, imo, undoubtedly a huge question mark. really, it isn't really a question: he isn't (right now) strong enough.

my other concern is his performances in two big games: duke & lsu. duke, he was nullified possibly by his guards' brain farts. still, i never saw him even attempt to impose his will on duke's big men. lsu? thomas and big baby flat out dominated him. maybe it was just a matter of being too weak to deal with sheldon williams and too weak/slow to deal with tyrus thomas.

i do like his fundamental footwork; and he does appear to have a nice touch. however, performances like those two, couples with his lack of strength do bring to question (at least in my mind) how strong his desire/motor is. for my money, i would go with morrison. or thomas. either one over aldridge.

8. verse

yes. that was paxson for three from jordan.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would take Robert Trailer if available instead of some young unproven German kid named Nowitzki, its too risky. :eek:

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or you could get Bostjan Nachbar, or Nikolai Tski(bla bla bla).....for every one that hits, there are several that flame.

DD

11. verse

yea, but when you do hit, it is usually a home run. all things being equal, it sometimes serves you well to dare to be great. remember the yao ming draft?

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

:)
    That's really funny to me. Stro's not the problem, it's just that no one can motivate him. We keep stro, and ship out the coach that has only missed the playoffs once in his entire NBA career.

Not to sound like a prick, but dude, come on.

How on earth can people continue their misguided and unwaivering support for a perennial underachiever. I wouldn't want to ship Stro off at any cost, but he doesn't play good defense, he's not real good on the boards, he doesn't really have a mid-range game, and he makes a lot of mental mistakes. Sure he flys around out there and makes the occasional high-light play, but the dude is lost.

If he ends up making anything out of his career, it will be great, but JVG is not the problem. Huby Brown was a pretty good coach too, and they were sure fine with seeing stro go.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true but we already have our two stars, the faces of the franchise...

what we need is solid contributors. not another risk that might go nowhere.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i just can't imagine chicago doing this.

would we have to take eddie griffin again?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I move that Clutch ban the Chicago Tribune just like Hoops World

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

sam smith may be nothing more than a gossip, but its always fun to speculate. I think I'd do it and take Aldridge. If he becomes have as good as he should be then we'd have a crazy good frontcourt. Use the MLE on another shooter and a tall sg and we're looking good.

17. CG202

CG202 Contributing Member

Why a lot of ppl have being sohard on Swift? Yes, he is not fit so well, but for God's sake, what do u want from a big guy who just takes a MLE today? Give him more time plz, ppl. If we r going to trade him, at least get a solid swingman starter back. I wonld not do it even it is Swift for #2 straight up. As someone said "In this draft, #2 is as risky as #8".

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree. I think the guy is going to be a good player in this league in about three years. But next year he would be getting a lot of pine time on a team like ours because of his inexperience and lack of strength. We do not need projects. We want to win now.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what salary??? the guy's only making what.... 4 or 5 mil? we're not exactly clearing up a lot of space there. even as unproductive as he's been he's still a steal at that price.

howard on the other hand.... he'll clear up some cap space.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Tradeable value to whom? Did I miss something? Did CD get himself cloned and his clone was hired as GM for another NBA team? Because that's about the only way someone will trade for Swift. And if he does has positive value, it has to be for the opposing team while he's on the floor screwing up. He's clearly demonstrated that he can't do the job here at the 4. If he couldn't move out an aging and inadequate Juwann Howard, what makes you believe that anyone else would want to get yet another underachieving player with so-called "potential "?