1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith: Rockets "quietly sending out signals they’d trade Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Rockets being open to upgrading a position isn't really news. But you can put me in the minority that suggest that we stand pat, with a few minor moves in the off-season.

Truthfully, I want to see what this core of guys can do together next season. I want to see what Motiejunas and Robinson can do next season with a year under their belt, or see how much Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik grow after starting for a year.

There's just so much possible growth for this team, for me to feel comfortable messing with its dynamics so soon.

Personally, I think we just need to target a back-up center and small forward via the draft and free agency, and just roll with what we got next season.

1 person likes this.
  2. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Agreed. Severly underrated by Rockets "fans".

3. Razsan

Razsan Member

Serviceable? Did you watch last night vs the Suns? Lin was in control, made shots, played GREAT D and made some tremendous decisions with the ball.
    I'll take the way he played last night every day of the week. But my guess is that he'll do a little better offensively stat wise. Keep in mind that this was a game where our stud was not particularly on his game and we still won by 30 pts

4. kumakun

kumakun Member

Umm no I'm not a Lin fan because he's Asian I'm a Lin fan because I know his relatives and grandma was my doctor who always talked about Lin back in my checkups when he was still in Harvard and in the D league. I just happen to like the rockets organization now that Lin is here but I still keep in touch with Knicks news and the whole organization because I've spent so much time getting to know everyone. If Lin moved to Utah tomorrow I'd be watching Utah games but I'd still think the Rockets were a fun team to watch. Sure we may just be following Lin but he's helped bring people like me who never even liked basketball to slowly enjoy and learn everything about it. The fact they its not all about scoring points and team ball is what I enjoy about watching Lin unlike watching someone like iso-Melo. So as long as Lin is around every LOF will be as big of a Rockets fan as anyone.

5. wapz

wapz Member

is it possible to lower lin's contract on the 3rd year?

6. zdrav

zdrav Member

I don't think the NBA allows re-negotiation of contracts. I've only heard of it happening in the NFL.

7. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

You can waive him during his 3rd yr and then use the stretch provision (assuming he's not picked up off the waiver wire by another team). He would collect $15M after being waived in his 3rd year, but the remaining $8,374,646 caphit in that last year can be stretched over a 3yr span.

So it would be a cap hit of $2,791,548 for 2014-2015 season, 2015-2016 season, and 2016-2017season. But he would still collect $15M for the 2014-2015 season, even after being waived.

This can only be done if he is waived, not traded. Since the stretch provision is applicable only to waived players. And it only applies to the caphit, not the contractually obligated payout of $15M in that last season, which is separate from the $8,374,646 cap hit in that final season.

So, if you're desperate to take his final year's cap-hit off the books for some reason (say to go after a free agent signing by going under the cap), you can waive him and then use the stretch provision. Regardless, he's still getting paid the same money of 5/5/15 despite having a cap hit of 8.37/8.37/2.8/2.8/2.8 if you waive him and use the stretch provision in the final year.

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

Is there a limit to how many times you can use the stretch provision? Are there reasons to not use it often?

9. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

The NBA allows re-negotiations of contracts that are 4yrs or more. Since Lin's contract is for 3 yrs, it's not eligible for re-negotiation.

Also, re-negotiations only allow you to increase the pay in the original years of the contract. It does not allow you to reduce the salary in any of the original contract years in order to create cap space. You may pay the player less in extension years added onto the contract, but may not reduce the pay in any of the original contract years. You may however, change guarantee dates and amounts, options invocation dates, trade kickers, and other elements of the contract, as well as adding on more years at lower (or more) pay.

But the rules state you may not pay him less in any of the original years of the contract as a result of the renegotiation. Besides, you can't renegotiate a 3yr or less contract anyway.

10. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

First of all, you must waive the player, and then have the player not be picked up off the waiver wire.

Second, the trade-off is that while you are reducing the cap-hit per year (and thus possibly creating free cap space or reducing luxury tax), you are also simultaneously extending the number of years that you would be shackled to the cap-hit of a dead contract.

Third, the amount of years over which you can stretch the remaining cap-hit of the contract is twice the number of the remaining years on the contract plus one. And the caphit amount is divided equally over those stretched years. So in this case, if you waive him with one year left on his contract, then (1y * 2)+ 1= 3yrs, thus reducing his $8.4M to 1/3rd for a cap hit of $2.8M.

11. basketballholic

2 A team is not permitted to stretch the team salary charge if in any future season the team salary charges for all the team's waived players would add up to more than 15% of the salary cap for the season in which the player is waived. For example, if a player is waived in 2011-12, the team cannot elect to stretch the player's team salary charge if the sum of the team salary charges for all of the team's waived players in any future season would exceed $8,706,600 (15% of the salary cap in 2011-12).

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Lol did you really just use quotes on the people that undervalue Lin, indicating they are not real fans? How ironic.

If they get an upgrade on a position, or get a superstar, anyone is available.

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

got yer LOH!

but seriously losing asik (maybe along with lin) for dwight is more at risk here, cause the the lakers might not make the playoffs now if kobe's injury is serious. And Dwight might bail on the laker. Cp3 coming to Rockets not a chance.

14. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Parsons is probably fair game too. However, I believe Parsons will only be involved in a trade that involves getting the 2nd superstar. Parsons is too valuable to be involved a small trade like Patterson or Morris was. Who wouldn't want a 24 year old SF, who averages 15 and 5, works hard, is improving by the game, shows flashes of elite defense, with that hell of a contract?
    Morey is a master at flipping those second rounders.

15. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

It's difficult to determine whether or not Asik is the only center we need. Asik is great, no doubt about it, but he's still not elite like Howard. But with Howard, you get drama and a distraction. I don't know if it's worth it. BUT Howard is still a great player, so it's really difficult to determine whether or not Asik is our center for the future.
    As far as Lin goes, I like Lin a lot. But we could do a lot better. I would want to keep Lin, because I think he would be a great 6th man, a la Drew Bledsoe. In terms of upgrading the starting PG role, I'm sure Morey is still searching his options. I would be content with keeping Lin at the starting role, if we could get our hands on a superstar PF though.

16. wapz

wapz Member

thanks a bunch skyhoop :)

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You can bet that if a "superstar" type player (superstar potential aka Harden type player) becomes available, Lin, Asik, anyone not named Harden would be on the block to make it happen.

I could also see Delfino, Patrick, Smith, Garcia or Anderson (any combo thereof) in a cap creating move or Robinson/Pat type upgrade.

What I dont see is a lateral type move like giving up any core personnel like Parsons for someone like Milsap.