1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Presti press conference on Kevin Durant at 11:30 CST

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Even if Durant will retire tomorrow, he still have a very decent chance to get to HOF.

Oden?

LOL, a criminal.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But if Durant would retire tomorrow, he'd be right there with Oden int terms of a talent that was forced out of the game early due to injury.

Durant would be closer to Oden than he would be to Jordan/Hakeem/Bird/Magic/etc.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can't be serious.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, I am... Durant hasn't done enough to be considered one of the greatest players ever (if he was forced to retire now).

He will be closer to Yao Ming, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, Ralph Sampson, and Sam Bowie in terms of players who could have been all-time greats, if not for injury.

Its sad... but that's how great players who had to retire within their primes prior to reaching the ultimate pinnacle, are remembered.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Durant won an MVP, went to the finals and was the 2nd best player on the planet for a number of years.

Oden has a big dong

Whachutalkinaboutwillis

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"Closer" is closer.

Fine, Durant's career is taking on a very Ralph Sampson-like turn... and Ralph Sampson is closer to Oden than he is to Hakeem.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Now you change it up and at least become serious. Bringing Oden into the discussion was crazy.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I didn't bring him into the discussion.

9. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Kobe would play

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OK whatever.

You said Durant was closer to Oden than those Hall of Fame players. If you seriously believe that, feel free to be wrong.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What depressing news. I love watching the guy play, even against the Rockets. He's a unique talent. You want to beat the best, and he's been right up there when discussing who's the best player in the league, and thus the planet. I hope it's fixable and he comes back healthy in the long term, not sporatically healthy, which we've had far too much experience with here in Houston.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Where would you rank Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming? Because that's around the area that Kevin Durant deserves to be in if this is really it.

Hell, Dominique Wilkins was just as dynamic a scorer in a more physical era (who also happened to never win a championship).... and he struggled to get into the HOF.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

OKC is a stupid ****ing franchise. You're at the bottom, whats the point of continuing to rush him back?!!??!

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Damn.....couldn't get worse timing...

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I love Yao to death, but KD is way ahead of him in Hall of Fame consideration if you strictly compare what they did on the court. With Ralph, college ball comes into play. IMO, he and KD are both in the conversation with KD in the lead. But I'd have to think long and hard before saying yes for KD because playing 7 good/great seasons doesn't cut it for me.

For the record: I believe Yao will get into the HOF because of what he represented for globally.

Here is one man's unpopular opinion: Dominique Wilkins is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He was the Melo of his generation but less talented than Melo. A lot of the time, he was not the smartest or most clutch guy either.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're splitting hairs now.... in the end, Durant is closer to all of these guys (who are borderline HOFers at best) than he is to the HOFers I mentioned earlier.... which was my original point.

Yes, Durant is on track to being one of the greatest players ever... and that counts for something... but in the end, a shortened career is a shortened career, and he'll be judged amongst the other players who had shortened careers.

Also, those "overrating" Dominique never actually watched Dominique... was probably closer to T-mac in terms of being a team leader on winning teams, but ultimately could not carry the lesser-talented Hawks past the Celtics-Pistons-Bulls powerhouses (teams that all featured multiple HOFers).

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not splitting anything. Here is your "original point" that started this:
    Complete nonsense.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"Closer" is closer.

Ralph Sampson, Yao Ming, and Brandon Roy are closer to Oden than they are to the greatest of the greats.... Durant, if done, unfortunately gets lumped into that category (and it won't get better with "time" in this championship-centric metric system we have).

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

Allen Iverson had better career than Yao ,so I could rank current Durant a spot behind

20. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Now that Durant's likely done for the season, hopefully New Orleans gets the 8th playoff spot instead of OKC. OKC without Durant will be destroyed by Golden State...Westbrook can't carry that team forever. NO will probably lose too but they'd have a more respectable showing against GS.