1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Mitchell has been fired

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ShiniKashi, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Raptors would be sick with JVG, he or Avery Johnson. Time to bring in some toughness to that soft squad, both of these guys are 10x better than Mitchell.

2. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

And he eeked JVG for the award. JVG finished 4th that year, behind Mitchell, Avery and Sloan. Consider the season he had. Mitchell won 40 something games in a very weak eastern conference. Avery made the Finals the year before. He had an all-star team. JVG finished with more wins than Sloan and his roster (no Yao for most of the season) was nowhere as good as the Jazz's.

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

lol

didn't he end up getting killed

4. Rewrite24

Rewrite24 Member

I gave up on the Raptors after yesterday's depressing defeat.

But today, I am starting to believe in the Raptors again.

and I agree, the Raptors need some tough people (O'Neal is too soft) and they need a decent swingman. Jamario Moon and Joey Graham just won't cut it.

HIRE FLIP SAUNDERS OR AVERY JOHNSON!!!

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

A3PO I don't how many games you've watched this year, but the 'soft' issue isn't a concern, it may have been true last year or years prior to that, but not this year (J.O has brought the toughness this team lacked). The current injury he had was due to a freak landing on someones shoe, no matter who it would have been they would have missed games due to it. Though you are 100% correct on Sam Mitchell... the only reason BC kept him on was because Chris Bosh wanted to see him stick around. Also, toughness isn't the problem on this team, it's the SG position, they have Moon/Parker/Graham/Kapono all NBDL scrubs. OKay maybe not.....though none of them should be starting for a NBA team. Plus they need a legit backup PG...you solve these two issues along with the coaching, this team would be a contender.

6. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

The Raptors are in trouble, they need to get some real talent around Bosh. The way things are going now, Bosh is almost certainly leaving in 2010.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If JO stays healthy, the personality of your team changes. But I'll tell you what many Pacers fans would tell you: just wait. I promise. I'll eat a large plate of crow if you get 70 games from JO and he's healthy and strong for the post-season.

It's too bad the Raptors didn't change coaches sooner because now the pressure is really on to make something happen, considering 2010. The Raptors need to make the right hire and snag a SG for next season.

BTW, if Bosh keeps this up the entire season, he'll be a serious MVP candidate. He deserves more attention than he's getting.

8. adoo

adoo Member

he is only the most accurate 3-pt shooter in NBA history, 2-time reigning 3-pt shooting champ !

9. adoo

adoo Member

IIRC, Sam Mitchell was the coach who refused to double up on a hot Kobe, on his way the a 81-pt game.

way to embarrass his team.

10. Crush

Crush Rookie

Well but think of it if JvG had won. He would have been fired the same year he won Coach of the Year :eek: :p

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cuz nothing says "I love Euro-ball!" like Jeff Van Gundy?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think JVG could be great for them. Bosh has the potential to be KG-like on defense under a coach like Van Gundy. He'll have a steady, efficient PG -- he'll love that. He'll have good 3-point shooting; guys who'll spread the court at multiple positions. That'll make him happy. Jermaine O'Neal is a JVG type of player -- you know, when he's actually healthy enough to play.

They're in Canada, and that's why I think he'd be hesitant to coach them. But, really, I think he'd a do a great job with that team.

13. worzel gummidge

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They do have the kind of talent any coach would like to coach...my question has to do with Brian Colangelo, whose approach doesnt seem compatible with JVG's.

15. OrangeRowdy95

Mitchell won it that year, and if I were GM, I wouldn't have given him an extension. Colangelo did. They could have gotten a plethora of great coaches who were on the market, including Adelman, Thibodeau, Iavaroni (who would have made a great fit for this team), Carlesimo, Theus, SVG, etc. Remember, Toronto was already a top 6 team in the East during this time.

16. OrangeRowdy95

17. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

This is unfair to Mitchell, they are also fixing their lineup.

18. OCballfan

OCballfan Rookie

its about time

the man is clueless in regards to defense

19. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

ya i dont know alot of "inside information" on why the raptors organization decided to do this, but i dont think he desreved it....

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

can someone enlighten what Sam Mitchell and the "shats" thing is all about?