1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For a school like SHSU, FCS is where we belong. I'd take going to playoffs and winning national championships over maybe playing is some s***tastic bowl game on Dec 12th.

boomboom likes this.
  4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#885 J.R., Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  6. leroy

Not pleased by this. I just don't see how it becomes successful and even what success means. The best case scenario seems to be to make it to the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and possibly play our old foe in TX State (assuming they're ever good enough to make a bowl game). Woo hoo.

What is success with this move in regards to football? For the rest of the sports, it matters a lot less.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I used to deliver pizzas to Bobby Williams. Doesn't even look like the same guy. I HATED driving all the way out to Elkins lake for no tip. His wife would tip but she rarely answered the door. Our other driver told me that one time the wife came to the door and Bobby Williams followed her and said "I've got it", took the money from his wife and and proceeded to hand all the cash except for the tip to the driver. Just wrong.
    He built a winning team..but he's cheap as hell.

raining threes and ima_drummer2k like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Didn't like it at first, but the more I think about it the more I think it was our only option.

James Madison is leaving, NDSU is probably going to be leaving. I think this is only the beginning. Eventually most of the good FCS schools will make the move to FBS.

I think eventually there will be 2 FBS divisions - the P5 conferences will form their own division and all the other FBS schools/conferences will form their own division. That will make the FCS basically irrelevant.

So for us, it's either make the move now and get a head start on being competitive or stay in the dying FCS until it's too late. We have to be thinking about 5 years down the line instead of 5 months down the line.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm just afraid that the attendance will never be there. When 75% of your student body goes home to Houston each weekend, there's literally no one left in Huntsville to fill up Bowers. And the locals are pretty apathetic to Sam's cause also.

I understand your points, @ima_drummer2k...I just wish FCS was a long term viable option for Sam Houston. FBS just seems like the Bearkats will always be in the bottom 10%.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

Student body attendance is PATHETIC. Always has been. I went to the JSU game and the alumni side was 80% full. They really need to kick their marketing into overdrive and get those students to the games.

Unfortunately, I don't think the FCS is a long term option for anyone in this rapidly changing college football landscape. All of the big boys are leaving or will leave in the next few years. Every time an FBS school changes conferences (like ou and ut), it has a domino effect that trickles all the way down to the FCS.

I still think the end result of all of this will be 2 different divisions of FBS. The P5 conferences and everyone else. Maybe we'll have a better shot at competing in the "everyone else" division.

raining threes likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. ima_drummer2k

Glad the playoffs are about to start. This has been the most boring season I can remember - only because none of the games have been competitive, aside from the BOTPW, which was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to on any level.

Everyone in the FCS seems to think we're overrated because of our weak schedule. Time to prove them wrong again.

leroy likes this.
  13. leroy

Well, this is likely the last time we’ll play for a National championship so let’s go get another.

14. leroy

I had no idea Incarnate Word was this good. Incredible game so far. 42-42 in the 4th with well over 1,000 yards combined.

15. leroy

These refs are straight up trying to f*** SHSU.

16. ima_drummer2k

I missed the game, but yeah...that's probably the best QB we will see all year including the playoffs. Horrible matchup for us.

Montana State looks like a run-first offense, so hopefully the defense will play a little bit better. We always struggle with air raid type offenses.

17. leroy

They were killing us through the air. Didn't help that the refs kicked out the starting safety on a bulls*** targeting call...not 10 minutes after they ignored a straight helmet to helmet hit on Schmid.

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Hurt to see them lose on Saturday, didn't think they'd go out like that. The defense didn't play too bad, all things considered with the short fields they were given, but offense couldn't get it going. Seems like every time we have a coordinator leaving to take a bigger job, we sputter on that side of the ball in the playoffs.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is shocking how the 4th largest university in the state gets no respect.

Texas State FTL.

DD

20. leroy

So go start a Texas State thread. When they do something with that travesty of a football program, maybe someone will discuss it with you.

Also, TX St is 5th. UT Arlington is 4th.