1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We were never ranked #1 in the coaches poll. We were #4 last week. I can totally see Jacksonville State jumping over us. They took Auburn to OT.

I don't get the love for Villanova, though. They lost to UConn (a team we would probably beat by 21) and barely beat Fordam.

Too many different polls in FCS. As long as we get home-field in the playoffs, I don't really care where we're ranked.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think the media poll is the one that matters as far as the playoffs go. Used to be called Sports Network but they apparently merged with a company called STATS. I can't find the poll on their site.

Here it is:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-fcs-top-25

OK, it was updated on 9/14.

1. Jacksonville St
    2. Coastal Carolina
    3. Sam Houston State
    4. North Dakota St
    5. Illinois St

#482 Haymitch, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The Bearkats jump right into SLC play this weekend when Lamar visits Bowers Stadium.

With the exception of an ugly 14-3 win a couple of years ago at home, SHSU's games against the Cardinals since they re-launched the football program have been huge blowout wins. Lamar has looked somewhat spry this season, though, as they did put up 31 points against Baylor last week against what was supposed to be a pretty good Bears defense.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Haven't gotten to use this image since 2005.

5. ima_drummer2k

QB controversy in Huntsville. I'll be interested to see who gets the start and how much they both play.

Do we go with JJ who runs like a gazelle but can't hit the broad side of a barn over 10 yards? Or "Frisco" Brisco (transfer from UAB) who has a cannon for an arm but is a pocket-passer who would render our spread-option game obsolete?

They can both play, but have very different tools.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm expecting to see them both against Lamar. I think we'll see them both periodically throughout the year, but start seeing less of one as time goes by.

I expect JJ to still get majority of playing time. But, if they go to passing mostly, I could see JB as well.

7. leroy

Don't see the game on Fox app or ESPN. Thought they were all going to be on in some form.

8. leroy

Obviously not able to watch...but is our defense really this bad?

9. leroy

Terrible loss. This defense needs to pick it up. Can't give up 49 points to freaking Lamar. Going to have to win out in the conference.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The game can be watched on Fox Sports Go, but I don't want to watch this.

11. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, it is.

I wasn't able to watch but was keeping up on my phone app. I checked the score at halftime and thought it was a mistake. So much so, that I deleted my CBS Sports app and re-installed it. When I saw the score again, I installed another app to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

It wasn't.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I went back and watched some of the replays. There were times where the guys were literally just two hand touching the offensive players in the back, instead of wrapping up. These plays went for like 70 yard touch downs, but should have been 5 yard gains.

Lamar is probably better than their previous years though. They played Baylor tough in the first half, and now we see why.

I definitely think the QB platoon attempt sucked, and JJ needs to be the guy. He can make plays with his legs and literally put us in a position to win that game on his own. The long pass by Bricoe was something that Yedi just made happen by making the defense miss a lot of tackles, so his YPA were high from that one play.

13. leroy

That's more like it. 63-14...and I'm a bit disappointed they actually gave up 14 to HBU.

Hopefully they've finally started the season so that they can get back to the business at hand. I feel like they're going to have to run the table the rest of the way in the SLC to get a seed and a home game.

14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I was nervous when I saw it tied up at 14 in the second quarter. They still let one big play (82 yard run) happen, which is never a good sign.

SFA and the Battle of the Piney Woods is up next at NRG. SFA hasn't won a game this year, so they'll be desperate.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Looking forward to the Piney Woods game this Saturday.

As a fun sideshow to the actual game, I like to see how badly SHSU fans outnumber SFA fans at the game. In the first year of the game being at then-Reliant Stadium, when SHSU had yet to really take off under Fritz and SFA was poised for a banner year with Jeremy Moses at QB, it was a pretty even split. But ever since then, the SFA turnout has consistent been pretty poor.

16. leroy

Wish I could make it. Other commitments got in the way.

17. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, I was actually hoping sfa would start off a little better this year so more of their fans would get excited and show up. Last year was their best shot to pull the upset, with us "rebuilding" and all, but their showing was as poor as I've ever seen it for this game.

It's great for BOTH schools (and the FCS in general) to have both sides full. I really wish sfa would hold up their end of the bargain....

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

When I bought my tickets, there were plenty left on the SFA side. Not so much on the SHSU side.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What channel will this be on? I don't see it in my guide.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Way late but if you were looking: 615 on UVerse