1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Hinkie out as Sixers GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Amel, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But what team did he destroy?

And the book hasn't been written on those draft picks yet.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stephen A.: Hinkie should never be a GM in any sport again. To sit up there and sell this product to Philadelphia has been disgraceful.

Philadelphia, almost 3 years on the job, you drafted Michael Carter-Williams, traded him. You drafted Embiid, he hasn't played. You drafted Nerlens Noel knowing he couldn't play. Never added worthy veterans. Nothing is more disgraceful than his performance. The man needed to go. It's so bad in Philadelphia I've had coaches come to me including Rick Carlisle look me in the face and say it's a shame what's been done to Brett Brown. He has not been given an opportunity to coach.

Thank God Jerry Colangelo is there. Thank God Philadelphia appears to be committed to trying. This was straight sabotage. Hinkie needed to go. He's a numbers guy. Let him be some team's capologist. He should never, ever, ever in this lifetime be a GM again.

This man was ruining lives with his inability to build & construct a team and were leaving it to Brett Brown to handle everything else. All the coaches know it. They were like damn, look at what's being done to Brett Brown. Talk about analytics. This was Daryl Morey's guy. All these analytic dudes, let this be a lesson, ...you can have analytics. Analytics ain't nothing but statistics. I was speaking to a couple of Riley's former players. Riley was doing this in the 90s. This ain't new. They're trying to make it new to carve out a different profession so they can get paid and ease other guys who are basketball guys out of the mix. Sam Hinkie got away with it for way too long. Thank God he's gone. THANK GOD!

In the end, he should have never been the executive face of an organization. He's a number cruncher. This is a good day for Philadelphia.

#82 J.R., Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. mig0s

mig0s Member

Yeah ok like its Hinkies fault that Embiid didnt play

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well he did draft him knowing he was hurt.

5. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I'm a fan of what Hinkie did with the 76ers. Don't hate the player, hate the system. If the league is not going to change the rules on tanking...take advantage of it.

All the draft picks he selected are still on the team. Which means, he believes they have potential or could be traded for a player with better potential.

All the draft picks he collected either are still in the possession of the team or were traded for even better picks.

I wished he got more time to quiet the haters.

Hopefully the 76ers are smart with the situation Hinkie has put them in....

Cap Space/Multiple 1st Rounder/Young players

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Hinkie never struck gold, but he also never went all in.

He did exactly what a smart GM would do, keep making high reward/low risk moves until something works.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

what position? they are still historically one of the worst teams in NBA history after all these years. can't believe you're actually trying to praise this. that's just ridiculous. lol at quiet the haters. what hes done thus far has been just dumb with no reward in site and at the same time just continued creating a loser culture that doesn't look like it will be improving any time soon.

8. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

He pretty much destroyed the team every single year by having all that D-league talent, which directly affects the development of these assets he's piling up. They weren't even going to have a PG until the league stepped in, two young bigs without a legit PG, and Ish is closer to third string than being legit, there's something wrong with that.

Look at the other bad teams rebuilding. They're all bad enough to have a shot at that 1st pick, but they also have a wealth of talent and assets, with some kind of direction.

Take Denver for example, none of those guys are top 5 picks, but I'd say they're about 5 years ahead of Philly.

So he bottomed out and sacrificed progress 3 years in a row, so they could have better shot at the 1st pick, which might not amount to anything.

It would be fitting if Minnesota won the lottery again, then you'll see how stupid the process really was.

9. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I agree with you, they have created a loser culture...which is downside to tanking. If the league continues allow tanking...why wouldn't teams use it?

However, the team Hinkie took over was depleted and had no future or direction. What Hinkie has done is given the team some direction. With all the assets hehad, I'm sure he tried to sell the farm for an all-start type of player but they did not work out.

Every team has one goal...and that is win a championship. Look at all the past champions, I don't have an exact number but I can bet most of the superstars that lead their teams to championship were drafted by their teams (outside of Lebron in Miami). I think this was Hinkie's goal. Get a franchise, once in a life time player...but during his time as GM, there wasn't a player of this caliber.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Involving God in this, and talking about how Hinkie ruined lives???? Really....??? What an asshat. What will Stephen A. say to God when Hinkie gets hired again within a year? How funny would it be if Phil left and Stephen's beloved Knicks hired Hinkie?? That would make my day.

And Hinkie far from ruined lives... he gave more D-league level players who would NEVER get the chance to step on an NBA court a chance at their dream. Players like Jakaar Sampson & TJ McConnell would never get to play in the NBA. Brett Brown just got a pretty nice extension... I'd say his "life" is just fine.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/04/07/abe-lincoln-sam-hinkie-fake-quote/

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sixers ticket rep just called me. The line they’re using: Ownership did everything they could to keep Sam Hinkie, and he quit on his own.</p>&mdash; Dan McQuade (@dhm) <a href="https://twitter.com/dhm/status/718094614025093120">April 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Nook

Nook Member

Surprisingly there are a lot of Sixer fans that did not want Hinkie gone.

The Sixers were marginalizing him, mostly at the urging of the league offices. Colangelo was brought in (at the urging of the league offices) and the Sixers were going to further marginalize Hinkie with either Ferry or Colangelo Jr. (the league against stepping in and making a suggestion).

What is interesting, is that this may be the year that the Sixers actually "win" at the lottery and end up with a legitimate franchise player or two.

Anyway, I don't think that Hinkie has the personality to be a long term GM. He is an excellent #2, and if Morey keeps his job, I wouldn't be shocked if Hinkie is back next to his best buddy, Morey.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bizarre sighting at Sixers practice. The just resigned Sam Hinkie just got onto PCOM elevator with owner Josh Harris.</p>&mdash; mark meany (@markmeany) <a href="https://twitter.com/markmeany/status/718102947578658816">April 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

What killed Hinkie wasn't the plan, it was the ping pong balls.

He went with best player available (not sure about Saric) because in his mind he thought he had more time to make trades and turn it around.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I just think he stepped into a horrible situation, and they were going to suck without him. He just brought the suckitude to a new level, while compiling draft picks, freeing up cap space, and still having young players under contract. Every situation has as different starting point. From when he took over, they were already expected to finish in the bottom 5 teams for the 3 years future. There's no progress to be had for the first 3 years if there's no foundation.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Have ya'll read his sappy letter?

This guy is a p***y. He must have social anxiety problems.

18. Victorious

Victorious Member

there are so many factors involved to make tanking work. much rather take the route that d morey did. we never tanked, always stayed competitive. well accept for most of this year lol

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The entertainment is not going to stop here with the Sixers as Bryan Colangelo just went through cases of KY at the thought of having that cap room this summer.

20. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I'm sure Dan Fegan and Dwight Howard have big ass smiles on their faces.

I have no problems believing Bryan Colangelo will give the max to DH.