1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amico: Rockets have a "keen eye" on Danny Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look at Indy's roster and salary situation: http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/pacers.jsp

This is why a trade with HOU for a package like Jones+ Delfino+ Douglas would make sense.

On the roster front: Indy needs (1) a capable backup PG or combo guard (Augustin sucks), (2) more 3 point shooting (23rd in 3 point %), (3) a future PF replacement for the aging David West, who likely returns at a reduced, but still substantial salary.

The Rockets have those to offer.

On the salary front, if they keep Granger, all they can do this summer is pretty much bringing West back + use the MLE (or else have about $10M of cap space to pursue an outside FA). Exchanging Grangers's salary for smaller ones in return would afford them significant flexibility in the summer-- may be enough to bring back David West and add another $10M+ FA.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not crazy about trading for a guy with knee problems. And there is no way that Parsons is going to be traded for Granger, unless it's part of a much bigger deal.

If the Rockets could get him for almost nothing in return, and then Granger plays well, he could be a valuable trade piece next year. So maybe that's what Morey is thinking.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We shouldn't be worried that Morey is assuming Granger is our 2nd star because he's not. You don't have to "stand pat" just because you don't want to ruin your cap flexibility. As long as you get guys at the end of their contracts, you still have a flexible cap situation. Good players on expiring deals trump cap space in most trades (Kevin Martin?).

And, free agency is best used for role players. Most big stars move via trade and I think Morey maintains cap flexibility more to be an attractive trade partner than to hit a homerun in free agency.

4. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Granger getting by on name recognition not what he does on the court

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

have you looked at his stats? His 3pt FG%?

6. Jedster

Jedster Member

LOL...you really can't help yourself can you?

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Check out the big brain on Brett!

(Got to appreciate someone with some vocabulary up in this mug.)

Anyway, I know Granger has beasted against the Rockets in the past, but this is now.

If Morey has a keen eye on Granger, it's also with fifteen cents and pocket lint in his outstretched hand: "Is that enough?"

I'm okay with it if we keep Parsons, and if Parsons and Granger can both play some 4. Could be a risk worth taking. If it doesn't work, don't keep Granger, flip him for someone else or just use that cap space. By then, Morey will have looooooooooooooooong traded Patterson; it's Morey's M.O.

One thing: if we keep Parsons, as we should, Parsons' agent can rightly say when the time comes: Granger makes 13 million and you're offering my client 6.5 million, an Ipad, and Pizza Hut coupons?

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what the price are you willing to pay to get a trade piece? don't list BS scrubs to believe pacers are so dumb and believes the world is going to end.:grin:

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

when you've already had a core (harden) to play around, the best way to make the team better is to look for fixing the weakness.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just looking at the numbers and what not people would say no. But Granger is the type of guy you would tkae a risk on.

This doesn't fix our problems though, we have a huge hole at the 4 I don't think PPAT can fix.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that's my opinion, too much overlap btw harden and granger.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

That's like saying Harden and Parsons overlap too much. Parsons game is almost identical to Granger's except Granger is a far better shooter from 3.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Royce white, aldrich and filler for danny granger

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I completely agree, there is a way for a really synergistic fit between these two that would make them one step closer to a championship caliber team but It would involve Granger playing second fiddle to Harden and Harden dropping his Iso game more for and driving more than he already is. Granger is a dead on shooter in the right situation, something this can really use.

If we get an upgrade on the 4 and granger I can see this team being championship calibar.

Lin is the wild card though.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Parsons is a role player...a damn good one. Granger is an AS player who will expect a certain amount of shots in the offense.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what it would take to get Granger but he is a guy that would be a nice number 2 option for Harden. He is trending down for sure but he has been a 25 point scorer and still only 29 even with bad knees. I'm not sure what I would be willing to give up for him but certainly not Parsons. A back up point guard (Tony Douglas), a PF (Marcus Morris or Terrence Jones or even 2Pat) plus a back up center (Cole Aldrich) makes sense to me.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Parsons has been averaging 11 shots per game this season. This month he's be averaging 17 shots.

Granger averages 14 shots per game. I don't see a problem here. You play Parsons at PF or he comes off the bench.

18. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

He chose Bradley University over Harvard? I lived on the same floor as DG and I didn't even know that.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

parsons is a role player. that's the difference.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

have you seen granger play? he does exactly same thing as harden with rox. well, parson got his # in a different way. are you going to tell me a center and harden overlapping too much just coz the center trys 17 shots?